• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Matt Antonelli retires, coming back to Wake

This brings an interesting question to mind. Does anyone know what the benifits/pension (if any) are for players who retire in sports like baseball, football and basketball?

Good move by him to announce the day after the AS game for max press.

He played in 21 games during his cup of coffee. I'm pretty sure you need between 40 and 50 days on the active roster to earn the minimum, so probably didn't make it. Other sports take multiple years in the league to qualify.

It depends on the players union deal w each sport and the number of years under contract. I don't believe minor leaguers in baseball have any benefits all about number of days in the majors but I could be wrong on that.

This brings an interesting question to mind. Does anyone know what the benifits/pension (if any) are for players who retire in sports like baseball, football and basketball?

For the NFL, Under the old CBA, you get Pension/Severance Pay after 3 credited years (credited year = On 53 man roster for 5 games).

Every league is different. For example, contracts are not guaranteed in NFL. They are in Basketball. And Baseball has arbitration. Every league is different.

This is NW post but I didn't want to start another thread. Every year we host 1-2 players for the local team that plays in the summer wooden bat league for college baseball players (Coastal Plains League, think Cape Cod league light). One of our players this year is a rising senior at Hoftstra and is a catcher who bats left handed. He is a very good player but not drafted this year. He has had a terrific year in the CPL and was voted to the league all-star game. While at the all-star game he was scouted and was offered a contract by the Nationals yesterday. They flew him down to Florida yesterday to sign and he is going to drive up to upstate NY for a short season league. It's been fun to see his dream come true, suddenly, out of the blue like that. His first name is Matt also (Reitstetter). We're hoping he has as much success as Matt Antonelli has had.

Lifetime health care for one day on major league roster.

If he'd been on a MLB roster for 43 days, he would have received $34,000 per year in pension.

The health care is still a great benefit in his case...

Back