• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This is the put up or shut up year

WFU1990

Reaction score
I think that this year, unlike any I can remember before, is the Show Me The Money year for both the football and basketball programs. With basketball, the situation for the future of this staff is obvious: win or you are shown the door. With football, Grobe's job isn't on the line, but this is an exceptionally important season. For three years, since Price, Camp, Harris (oh well) and Jackson were first year player, everyone has dealt with each season by thinking, 13-14 may be out year. We are there now, and as much as I appreciate the relative success Grobe has had over his tenure, if we crap out this year, it will be obvious to everyone that it is time to look in another direction for the future. Hopefully, The Boulder coaches this team up and we are playing in a nice bowl this year, but in any event, this is a pivotal year for both staffs. Thoughts?

For hoops, no question. But Grobe won a damn ACCCG at Wake Forest. He has also taken us to multiple bowl games. The man can coach from the coffin so far as I'm concerned.

Grobe's job may not be on the line, but he's a 61 year old man whose contract ends in 4 seasons. The kids in our 2014 class will be rSO or JR in the last year of his deal. Grobe has to be angling for an extension or planning his retirement.

It should be, but I don't have faith in the asshats in charge to make the (well past) necessary moves when/if 2013-14 goes poorly.

Grobe's job may not be on the line, but he's a 61 year old man whose contract ends in 4 seasons. The kids in our 2014 class will be rSO or JR in the last year of his deal. Grobe has to be angling for an extension or planning his retirement.

This. I would think he might like to go until 67, health permitting.

I think that this year, unlike any I can remember before, is the Show Me The Money year for both the football and basketball programs. With basketball, the situation for the future of this staff is obvious: win or you are shown the door. With football, Grobe's job isn't on the line, but this is an exceptionally important season. For three years, since Price, Camp, Harris (oh well) and Jackson were first year player, everyone has dealt with each season by thinking, 13-14 may be out year. We are there now, and as much as I appreciate the relative success Grobe has had over his tenure, if we crap out this year, it will be obvious to everyone that it is time to look in another direction for the future. Hopefully, The Boulder coaches this team up and we are playing in a nice bowl this year, but in any event, this is a pivotal year for both staffs. Thoughts?

okay

Grobe doesn't give a shit anymore and isn't a good- or decent coach- at this point. He is just an old man collecting an over paid paycheck.

First things first. Since few in the Wake community have any faith in Ron Wellman's judgment any more, and since Wellman because of his age and nationally, repeatedly demonstrated poor coaching choices will not be able to make the kind of hires we need, he must be replaced first.

Either coach who doesn't have a winning record this year should be fired. Grobe should be given the opportunity to retire.

Disagree with Grobe RJ. If Wake is terrible this year I think Grobe should be given the opportunity to replace is coordinators. If he refuses then maybe we can talk.

Disagree with Grobe RJ. If Wake is terrible this year I think Grobe should be given the opportunity to replace is coordinators. If he refuses then maybe we can talk.

Old dogs don't learn new tricks. He's not going to suddenly do that after 13 years of never running off anyone from his immediate coaching tree

In 12 years at Wake, Jim Grobe has had 3 winning seasons in the ACC and 5 overall. We've had 4 straight losing seasons and under performed for 5 years running. I would love to see him succeed again, but '06 and '07 look more like catching lighting in a bottle than something we could expect to ever happen again. We failed to capitalize on the media exposure with the OB season and his refusal to relieve his son-in-law of his duties gives me absolutely no faith that Jim Grobe is going to do anything other than sit in a crouch on the side lines and look dazed as he burns off the final years of his contract and slip back to total irrelevance.

First things first. Since few in the Wake community have any faith in Ron Wellman's judgment any more, and since Wellman because of his age and nationally, repeatedly demonstrated poor coaching choices will not be able to make the kind of hires we need, he must be replaced first.

This is really the conundrum we face. And what's worse is that the people who will hire the next AD may be unreliable as well, as we've seen from the lack of concern or the support of Wellman from Hatch and the BOT. If the entire attitude of the institution is not focused on winning in sports, we are truly up a creek.

Hire Brad Stevens! Hes dying to come here if we'd just make an offer!

In 12 years at Wake, Jim Grobe has had 3 winning seasons in the ACC and 5 overall. We've had 4 straight losing seasons and under performed for 5 years running. I would love to see him succeed again, but '06 and '07 look more like catching lighting in a bottle than something we could expect to ever happen again. We failed to capitalize on the media exposure with the OB season and his refusal to relieve his son-in-law of his duties gives me absolutely no faith that Jim Grobe is going to do anything other than sit in a crouch on the side lines and look dazed as he burns off the final years of his contract and slip back to total irrelevance.

I just want to be clear that Jim Grobe does not have a daughter.

What's the relation again? I can't ever remember.

I think it's something like Lobo married his daughter-in-law's sister. Whatever it is, Lobo is family.

I'm guessing Grobe and Lobo thought Lobo was a mover and shaker and would have a head job by now. Lobo still may be the coach-in-waiting. I have no idea what his exit plan would be if Grobe were let go. I doubt there are many OC's that have lasted this long with such a poor track record.

So going back, Grobe has 4 years left on his contract. Seems like the options out of the AD are this:
1. Give Grobe an extension after this year or next.
2. Let Grobe go before his contract is up and buy him out.
3. Let him coach to the end of his contract and replace him.
3a. Grobe is on the market and takes another job before the end of his contract.

I think #1 is most likely. I think he'd have to win 4 games this year and next for it not to happen. Even with two 4 win seasons, I doubt #2 happens.

#3 would be tough if Grobe was publicly or privately seeking an extension and didn't get it. I'm not sure who would want to hire a Grobe that couldn't get an extension that isn't a significant step down. Wake to SC was plausible for Odom. I couldn't see Grobe getting a BCS job. A new FBS would be possible.

Last edited:
Back