• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Delany pitches reform plan

I like it, particularly #1 and #3.

Makes far too much sense. Will never happen.

It's bad news for LOWF!!!!! More scholarships for FSU and UNC means fewer quality players for us. If you pay a football player X, how much do you pay a field hockey player? Football and Mens Basketball are the only sports that make money at LOWF. According to Title IX, WF's football and B-Ball 'ships (100), then we have to have 104 'ships in women sports, because women make up 52% of the student body. Ga Tech is 32% female. If the books don't balance men's sport will be cut (Baseball, Track, Tennis). Anybody been to a swim meet lately? Big state schools want this to put their weak sisters in their place permanently.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you fund a lifetime scholarship. Perhaps, it's simpler than I am thinking.

edited to make sense

Last edited:
I like these ideas, but #3&4 sound financially difficult, maybe prohibitively so, for Wake Forest. You're essentially increasing scholarship costs by 25% in the "mandatory redshirt" model, and adding however much under the misc expenses plan. Could we do that?

I'm not sure how you fund a lifetime scholarship. Perhaps, it's similar than I am thinking.

With an NCAA educational trust. I pitched a similar idea last time we had this discussion. Take a large percentage of the TV revenue and devote it to paying for undergraduate education beyond the 4 years of eligibility and graduate education at any NCAA institution. I'd add that I'd like to see such a trust include undergraduate education for the children of student-athletes as well.

I like these ideas, but #3&4 sound financially difficult, maybe prohibitively so, for Wake Forest. You're essentially increasing scholarship costs by 25% in the "mandatory redshirt" model, and adding however much under the misc expenses plan. Could we do that?

#2 and #4 are essentially turning student-athletes into graduate assistants. It's a decent model to use, particularly in terms of pay. Give students a stipend during the season.

With an NCAA educational trust. I pitched a similar idea last time we had this discussion. Take a large percentage of the TV revenue and devote it to paying for undergraduate education beyond the 4 years of eligibility and graduate education at any NCAA institution. I'd add that I'd like to see such a trust include undergraduate education for the children of student-athletes as well.

I could see this becoming a giant liability in the future that couldn't be funded. Especially considering skyrocketing education costs.

I would think the schools would/should only need to offer free classes after eligibility ends, not housing. That would limit the expense quite a bit, I'd think. One benefit is it will create another incentive (beyond the APR thing) to get kids to class and graduate while they're eligible. If you don't, you're creating an extra expense down the road.

More financial burdens for Wake athletics means more ammo for Ph to bitch about our sports failures.

I could see this becoming a giant liability in the future that couldn't be funded. Especially considering skyrocketing education costs.

Incentive to curb skyrocketing education costs.

Interesting to read the last paragraph, considering that it was allegedly written (and definitely spoken) by a former goat point guard. Comical.

"I would like to see the people who make the mistakes pay the price and see the institution pay a lesser price," Delany said. "I would like to see it clearer when an institution is in jeopardy on institutional control that that's reserved for the worst of the worst. And I want to make sure if you make a mistake, there's a process. ... We should be able to communicate better which are the major [infractions] and which are the not so major ones."

Last edited:
Back