• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

5 Years for.........

"Christiana Julia Ayscue, 23, of Norris Mobile Home Park, pleaded guilty to a Dec. 11 count of felony child abuse inflicting serious injury."

Shocker, this.

If you want to debate statutory required sentences, or sentencing guidelines for a particular jurisdiction...that makes sense. But, there are so many variables that go into any particular plea offer that it's very shortsighted to compare cases, or look at a particular sentence, and jump to conclusions.

I didn't see anything in the article about the pot dealer, but I assume that sentence was a result of some state's minimum mandatory sentencing guidelines. As a lawyer, I have a particular distaste for mandatory minimums, and for the federal sentencing guidelines. All cases are different and all defendants' circumstances are different, and prosecutors and judges should have the freedom to apply appropriate sentences based on the unique circumstances of each case.

Back