• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

6 Years Ago Today: RIP Skip

89DeaconMike

Reaction score
07/26

p1010011.jpg

College basketball has never been the same (not just Wake). He was a special guy, and I am proud to have had him at Wake. I miss him often.

I still have the AJC newspaper from that day. I had it at the office and have just never been able to get rid of it. I still have a sense of disbelief when I look at it, which isn't too often.

“The accountability rests with me.”

How I miss a coach that would say this, be funny, be compassionate, talk basketball intelligibly with the media, and be a friend to students and athletes and fans alike.

Often wondered where one would get a tie like that. It is dope. I only really got to experience skip my freshman year and a bit beyond, but his presence made Wake sports that much cooler at the time.

Still remember vividly being at my internship that morning when the word started to spread. Just a surreal moment.

Here is the thing that will perhaps be lost about Skip's legacy, we could have a coach winning titles here, and I don't know that he would fill Skip's shoes. They guy was so unique, and a perfect embodiment of the best of Wake Forest.

Here is the thing that will perhaps be lost about Skip's legacy, we could have a coach winning titles here, and I don't know that he would fill Skip's shoes. They guy was so unique, and a perfect embodiment of the best of Wake Forest.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

I'm proud to say I met him and shook his hand. He was so much more than just a basketball coach.

I was at a corporate conference the previous day at which Dick Vitale was a speaker. Bizarre to see Dickie V on SportsCenter the very next day discussing the greatness of Skip and lamenting his loss.

Skip was about as good a fit and representative for Wake Forest as you could imagine. Had he not passed away in such a tragic manner and was still here as our coach, it pains me to think how different things would be right now with basketball program.

Back