• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN schedules next round of '30 for 30' films

Honestly, none of these do much for me, although I admittedly don't know the story of the Spirits of St Louis. I wonder if this is a case of all the good ideas being taken already.

I was initially thrown for a loop when I noticed that the sbnation story was written by a (different) Steve Lepore.

Harding vs. Kerrigan is the biggest story of the group. No offense to "No Mas". I'm curious what new spin they'll put on Harding and Kerrigan. The story has been done many times before.

So the Spirits were one of the ABA teams that did not get absorbed by the NBA. But this is crazy (from Wikipedia):

But the owners of the Spirits, the brothers Ozzie and Dan Silna, struck a prescient deal to acquire future television money from the teams that joined the NBA, a one-seventh share from each franchise, in perpetuity. With network TV deals becoming more and more lucrative, the deal has made the Silnas wealthy, earning them $186 million as of 2008, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and $255 million as of 2012 according to the New York Times.[1] (The NBA nearly succeeded in buying out the Silnas in 1982 by offering $5 million over eight years, but negotiations stalled when the siblings demanded $8 million over five.) On June 27, 2007, it was extended for another eight years, ensuring another $100 million-plus windfall for the Silnas. Presently, the Silnas receive $14.57 million a year, despite being owners of a team that hasn't played one minute of basketball in 35 years.[2]

Thanks, Va. Gotta be a good story there. I imagine Costas will be involved.

The Spirits of St. Louis will be great...I only hope that Bob Costas saying "blow job" on the air will be part of it....great story if you've never heard it.

Agreed. Did Simmons create it? I thought he just offhand mentioned a similar idea in a column years before.

Lsitening to Costas talk about Marvin "Bad News" Barnes will be funny too. Dude once flew west across a time zone change. The flight took less than an hour. So, he took off at 12:00 and landed at 11:57. He told Costas he wasnt getting on no damn time machine!!

They should do one on our basketball program, but I guess they don't want to overshadow films like Fruitville Station with films about even bigger clusterfucks.

The Eddie Aikau one should be fantastic, I am really excited for that. I still have some old "Eddie Would Go" bumper stickers, I may have to slap one on my car when this airs. Though it wouldn't be as cool as this:

EDMACHADO.jpg

They should do one on our basketball program, but I guess they don't want to overshadow films like Fruitville Station with films about even bigger clusterfucks.

Coming in 2016:

'See you on the Quad'
How one school finally got (Shaka) Smart after the death of a legend.

Agreed. Did Simmons create it? I thought he just offhand mentioned a similar idea in a column years before.

yeah, he is like an executive producer and sees all the filming before they air it to make suggestions. it was in the same contract where he created grantland.

Wow. I didn't realize that. Great for him.

I've enjoyed the Nine for Nine, esp the Pat Summit one.

Don't really care about Swoopes but I'll still watch it. That's the cool thing about these shorts, often its sports or stories you don't care about that end up being really damn interesting.

That Pat Summit one was great. Someone close to me professionally is going through that so it hit home. I had no idea Summit's son was an assistant for the Marquette women's team.

I've enjoyed the Nine for Nine, esp the Pat Summit one.

Don't really care about Swoopes but I'll still watch it. That's the cool thing about these shorts, often its sports or stories you don't care about that end up being really damn interesting.

Haven't watched any of them. The ESPN films should go straight to streaming. They are really built for that. They do seem to be hitting Netflix sooner now.

Back