• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

36 Hole Leader Hunter Mahan Withdraws

qcdeac

Le tits now
Reaction score
Mahan was on the range when he got a call saying his wife had gone into labor. He immediately withdrew and left the course despite leading the RBC Canadian Open by 2 shots.

Their first baby was scheduled to be born the week of the PGA. Hope he gets to Dallas in time. As of right now, John Merrick is now the co-leader with Dustin Johnson and will be playing by himself in the final group.

This is all nice & cuddly, and makes for a good story....but what's he going to do when he gets there (IF he gets there before the baby is born)?

The winner's share of the purse for this tournament is $1,008,000. Methinks that his wife & child could use a million dollars more than having him sitting in a waiting room when the child is born. If this happened before the tournament began, that's one thing. When he is the leader after 36 holes, with a good chance to take home a million dollars, is something completely different.

What year is it? 1953? :)

This is all nice & cuddly, and makes for a good story....but what's he going to do when he gets there (IF he gets there before the baby is born)?

The winner's share of the purse for this tournament is $1,008,000. Methinks that his wife & child could use a million dollars more than having him sitting in a waiting room when the child is born. If this happened before the tournament began, that's one thing. When he is the leader after 36 holes, with a good chance to take home a million dollars, is something completely different.

wait is this the real bkf? the same dude that complains americans are all greedy and after nothing but money? this guy put his family above a payday.

maybe he just agrees with you that nobody should make more than $1mm a year?

I just wanted to quote this for posterity for the next time bkf starts complaining about how much money coaches and athletes make.

I'm sure Mahan is doing just fine financially, but I still applaud him for making his family a priority and leaving despite leading the tournament. For the more cynical, he may be able to make that money up in additional marketing money anyway, since this certainly boosts his public image.

Culture. BKF, shouldn't you be railing about why a golfer is making a million dollars at a golf tournament when the volunteers make nothing?

Plus, since that million dollars is really just a gift, the gov't should take 98% of it.

212698705_953761021_dude_wait_what_answer_3_xlarge_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

Some folk are simply contrarian.

I applaud Hunter. It is a statement of love and commitment to his wife. Being with your wife during the trauma of delivery is more important to her than we males can understand. I have never been a big Mahan fan; but that may change.

Hope mother and daughter are both well and safe.

The problem is that this is all mostly symbolic. He really isn't going to be of any use to "his family" when he gets there. I think a good case could be made that he was making his family a priority by staying there and picking up a million dollars for their financial security.

And to answer the charges that he is doing just fine financially and this million is kind of like "extra pocket change".....if that is true, then they really ARE paying these guys too much money.

Of course you think he isn't going to be of any use to his wife when he gets there, since you said he would be hanging out in the waiting room.

Laughable how wrong you are on this issue. Mahan is 31 years old and had 5 PGA titles and $24 million in career prize money. What day do you think he will remember more, hitting the $25 million mark and his 6th tour victory or the day that his daughter was born?

Bigger question, will the baby take after his wife, a former cowboy cheerleader or more like a goat? Time will tell.

I'm sure bkf's kids would be happy to know that his idea of fatherhood is throwing money at your kids from a distance. Takes a big man to do that.

Right on, BobKnightFan. Let's call a spade a spade -- this guy Mahan is a fucking pussy. LOL at all these dickless manchildren on here defending him -- I haven't seen this big a collection of homos since the Democratic National Convention. Keep on preaching, brother.

I really want to hear from the OGBroads on this. #can'twait

Last edited:
Hunter is loaded and set for life. Prolly an easy decision for him. Would have been a much tougher decision for a guy ranked 150th or so (and for his wife who may have wanted him to stay out there to secure his card).

The stupid decision the tour made, however, was to have Merrick go off by himself in the last group. He's having a bad day so far and prolly has to wait on every hole. Should have sent him off with the 2nd to last group in a 3-some. I wonder what that would have been like had it been Rory Sabbatini in the last group alone.

Hunter is loaded and set for life. Prolly an easy decision for him. Would have been a much tougher decision for a guy ranked 150th or so (and for his wife who may have wanted him to stay out there to secure his card).

The stupid decision the tour made, however, was to have Merrick go off by himself in the last group. He's having a bad day so far and prolly has to wait on every hole. Should have sent him off with the 2nd to last group in a 3-some. I wonder what that would have been like had it been Rory Sabbatini in the last group alone.

The silence would have been deafening.

BTW, the commentators on PGA XM station said that Merrick had the choice of playing with the group ahead or playing as a single. I have no idea.

The problem is that this is all mostly symbolic. He really isn't going to be of any use to "his family" when he gets there. I think a good case could be made that he was making his family a priority by staying there and picking up a million dollars for their financial security.

And to answer the charges that he is doing just fine financially and this million is kind of like "extra pocket change".....if that is true, then they really ARE paying these guys too much money.

This is hilarious. As if he can only be "of any use" if he performs some physical task. Not going to personally deliver the baby or cook your wife dinner? Then no point being around.

I'm going to start applying this in all situations. Funeral to attend? Well, I can't really do any specific task for anyone, so I'll stay home. And my two year-old is absolutely useless to me; not sure why I've even kept him. Maybe I can farm him out until he can mow the lawn or something.

[/B]

The silence would have been deafening.

BTW, the commentators on PGA XM station said that Merrick had the choice of playing with the group ahead or playing as a single. I have no idea.

If true, whytf would Merrick play alone? Only way I'd make that decision is if Kevin Na and Sergio Garcia circa 2003 were that group.

Back