• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Opponents View Of Wake Football

HONDO2

Reaction score
Wake ForestOpposing coaches size up the Demon Deacons:

“They are going to be very well coached, really solid all the way around, but as far as talent, nothing stood out. Just the one kid, the receiver Michael Campanaro. He really is special. I think he broke some sort of ACC record. He was pretty good. He needs help on the outside. I don’t recall anybody that really stood out beyond him." …"Wake’s not an easy place to recruit because you’ve got three in-conference programs just down the road, but they could use some upgrades." …"I think they were dealing with some injuries. They used to have the quarterback (Riley Skinner) who kind of held it all together. I’ve heard they could look to be more multiple in the offense with the quarterback they have now (Tanner Price), who has a lot of experience." …"They must improve their secondary play. I think they have a lot of young guys there that they want to develop, but late in the season a lack of depth really hurt them. Notre Dame, which wasn’t exactly a polished passing attack, threw it all over Wake.”

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...out-conference-foes-2013#sthash.6e69l8ST.dpuf

It is really interesting to see that other coaches who play us always compliment us on the discipline and how well coached our players are, yet most around here think that we are not well-coached.

I understand that a lot of it is coach-speak, but most guys in the ACC have a great respect for the job that Coach Grobe and his staff have done year-in and year-out in Winston-Salem with lesser talent.

It is really interesting to see that other coaches who play us always compliment us on the discipline and how well coached our players are, yet most around here think that we are not well-coached.

I understand that a lot of it is coach-speak, but most guys in the ACC have a great respect for the job that Coach Grobe and his staff have done year-in and year-out in Winston-Salem with lesser talent.

I often hear other coaches talk about how great of an OC we've got.

Doofus, I just did a quick read through. Looks like the only negative coaching comment was about London's clock management. This isn't the crowd that is going to point out major coaching issues.

Coaching fraternity speak. Bob Staak got a lot of praise from his coaching brethren as well. Means nothing.

Buddies at work used to mock this kind of coach speak: "Herb Sendek is a GREAT coach...... for NC State."

The way we played at the end of last season, we don't deserve any respect. Maybe they just like Grobe, or only saw the end of the carolina game? The "But they can use some upgrades" fall right in Wellman's lap. In 2006 we got on a roll and couldn't be stopped. It's possible that it could happen again. http://cfn.scout.com/2/551473.html

Last edited:
Coaching fraternity speak. Bob Staak got a lot of praise from his coaching brethren as well. Means nothing.

Buddies at work used to mock this kind of coach speak: "Herb Sendek is a GREAT coach...... for NC State."

Herb is what Wellman wishes Bz could be. Never got State over the hump, but they were historically competitive with him.

Believe what you see- not that hard. We are respected for what Grobe used to be. He is not that anymore sadly.

Believe what you see- not that hard. We are respected for what Grobe used to be. He is not that anymore sadly.

Evidently, opposing coaches' analysis (at least until game week) is as lazy as that of ESPN's talking heads. The book on Wake is "disciplined," "well-coached," "hate to play them," blah blah blah. Well, that book is out of print.

I think we just failed to properly capitalize on an uptick in recruiting following the Orange Bowl year. Ask UNC and Fedora what they thought about Wake last year. We went 5-7 and really didn't play that well for most of the year, but I guarantee Fedora is looking back on that game thinking "fuck they were disciplined, well coached, and that was a tough game for week two." I really think there's just a difference in how frequently we achieve these goals than we have in the past.

Fedora is saying "I didn't have the best back in the conference".

I think that's overblown. Blue ran for 100+ yards against us and the backup to the backup got 70. I don't think Gio was going to gain 300 yards against our defense. I mean maybe he would, but that wasn't why they lost, they lost because they couldn't shut down Tanner and the passing game.

Ok, the UNC win was a great, great win. Happy, Numbers?

Hard truth: that win got us exactly nowhere. Nice to beat UNC, but if that's the highlight of the season, the season's a failure.

Ok, the UNC win was a great, great win. Happy, Numbers?

Hard truth: that win got us exactly nowhere. Nice to beat UNC, but if that's the highlight of the season, the season's a failure.

The whole point of my comment was that the wins are fewer and further between what they used to be. I don't think that the talk is entirely coach-speak and for the most part we do have a pretty well coached team IMO. But yes the past couple years have been frustrating.

Lots of great coaches said great things about Bzz too. Point is, no one is buying anything complimentary about our coaching staff right now, so there's no point in selling it. The scoreboard will be much more honest about this coaching staff than any opposing coach will.

Everyone threw all over Wake. I'm flattered they used ND as an example of a mediocre passing attack.

Everyone threw all over Wake. I'm flattered they used ND as an example of a mediocre passing attack.

Wasn't that a function of our inability to pressure the opposing QBs plus Noel's injury? D-backs can only cover closely for so long. We MUST pressure the QB!

I still have nightmares of the Clemson 2nd qtr

Grobe is a fantastic coach. He takes 2 and 3 star players, makes many of them into 4 and 5 star college players, they make the nfl and then they unfortunately play like 2 and 3 star players again once they've left his system. He does it by getting them to buy into a team first philosophy, coaching them up, putting them into a very underrated s&c program, and putting them into a position to excel on the field. He knows exactly what he's doing. The list of players that follow this pattern is extensive: phonso, curry, skinner, arnoux, Vaughn, wilber, Moore, bush, etc. These players are very fortunate to have been a part of Grobe's system, as it has made them a lot of money.

For my money he's one of the best coaches in the country and second best in the ACC behind Beamer. I think Grobe's recruiting could be better, but from a coaching standpoint he's one of the best and any college player would be lucky to play for him.

Grobe is a fantastic coach. He takes 2 and 3 star players, makes many of them into 4 and 5 star college players, they make the nfl and then they unfortunately play like 2 and 3 star players again once they've left his system. He does it by getting them to buy into a team first philosophy, coaching them up, putting them into a very underrated s&c program, and putting them into a position to excel on the field. He knows exactly what he's doing. The list of players that follow this pattern is extensive: phonso, curry, skinner, arnoux, Vaughn, wilber, Moore, bush, etc. These players are very fortunate to have been a part of Grobe's system, as it has made them a lot of money.

For my money he's one of the best coaches in the country and second best in the ACC behind Beamer. I think Grobe's recruiting could be better, but from a coaching standpoint he's one of the best and any college player would be lucky to play for him.

Call it a night, Ron.

Back