• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Greatest Athlete of All-Time?

Greatest Athlete of All-Time

• Total voters
my avatar

followed by Haile Gebrselassie

My full ticket would have been:

Thorpe
Ali
Bo
Lebron
MJ

I might have included Bob Mathias, Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson (he an AA football player, played bball too)- each of these would be rated higher than MJ or Lebron in my book.

Last edited:
How could anyone vote for anyone except Thorpe or Jackson? Example, Jordon may be the greatest bb player ever, but sucked at baseball.

Bo Jackson - He ran circles around everyone in videogames, too

It's tough for me with any decathlete because they keep getting so much better at it. I went with Gebrselassie because he broke his own marathon world record twice and has golds in two olympics in the 10k, won world championships in the 5k, and pretty much could have won any race over a mile for like two decades.

In the case of these athletes, many of them probably could have been tremendous at a ton of sports, but they focused on one. Do you have any doubt Calvin Johnson would make a great basketball player, or Lebron a great football player?

I went with Ali first because not only was he unbeatable for so long, he did it with the most athleticism. He was arguably in "the best shape" of any of these guys when you combine flexibility, cardio endurance, strength, quickness, speed, power, and longevity.

Townie, Thorpe played in the major leagues.

He's also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was a star player and coach.

i think bo is the most physically gifted of the people on the list. the injury that felled him happened because he was so athletic.

now he is awesome at bowhunting. because he's awesome at everything.

bo knows.

It's tough for me with any decathlete because they keep getting so much better at it. I went with Gebrselassie because he broke his own marathon world record twice and has golds in two olympics in the 10k, won world championships in the 5k, and pretty much could have won any race over a mile for like two decades.

In the case of these athletes, many of them probably could have been tremendous at a ton of sports, but they focused on one. Do you have any doubt Calvin Johnson would make a great basketball player, or Lebron a great football player?

I went with Ali first because not only was he unbeatable for so long, he did it with the most athleticism. He was arguably in "the best shape" of any of these guys when you combine flexibility, cardio endurance, strength, quickness, speed, power, and longevity.

meh. while I appreciate the spectrum of running events he dominated, its still all just running.

Babe Zaharias – won 41 LPGA events and 11 majors in golf, as well as three Olympic medals (two gold and one silver) in track & field. Zaharias was also an All-American basketball player.

I don't know the answer....but she should at least be on the list.

yet even one of the doofi could beat her at any of those sports as men

i think bo is the most physically gifted of the people on the list. the injury that felled him happened because he was so athletic.

now he is awesome at bowhunting. because he's awesome at everything.

bo knows.

Has anyone seen 30-on-30 on Bo?
Have it several times. Never ceases to amaze me what he did before he got hurt. Amazing.

"I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."

Back