• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lobo now RB coach too

So the guy who couldn't develop talent on the OL or at TE is now in charge of our youngest, most shallow position, upon which the Head Coach has said Wake will lean upon more heavily this year.

Makes sense - at least in an organization overseen by Ron Wellman.

@BSD_RaJohnston: In the minority, but I think it makes sense to move Coach Lobotzke to head up entire group. Questionable at some facets but good at this.

I don't understand what you're saying. Can you elaborate? Entire group of what? And what's the evidence that he's good at it?

@BSD_RaJohnston: In the minority, but I think it makes sense to move Coach Lobotzke to head up entire group. Questionable at some facets but good at this.

I don't understand what you're saying. Can you elaborate? Entire group of what? And what's the evidence that he's good at it?

Coach Lobotzke does a really good job of running a good solid practice with his guys. I understand that I am in the extreme minority and his play calling is spotty at best.

It makes sense to get the FB's, RB's and TE's in the same group because of the style of offense that we are running.

The biggest takeaway I get from this is that we are minimizing Coach Mitchell's role on the team. Not hard to see the writing on the wall for his future imo.

Gotcha. I'll have to trust you on the practice piece. And the piece about having the backs and ends together makes sense.

I just worry about his ability to develop players.

Coach Lobotzke does a really good job of running a good solid practice with his guys. I understand that I am in the extreme minority and his play calling is spotty at best.

It makes sense to get the FB's, RB's and TE's in the same group because of the style of offense that we are running.

I just don't understand why he continues to get additional duties when he doesn't prove that he's remotely competent at doing anything at his original jobs. Why does he keep getting spread around more and more?

BTW, I think Lobo is a really good and smart guy. However, as a coach I am unconvinced. Yet I am willing to be persuaded. The window of opportunity is small though for this staff. So, let them give it their best shot. We should know if the move is wise by the 4th game of the season.

Gotcha. I'll have to trust you on the practice piece. And the piece about having the backs and ends together makes sense.

I just worry about his ability to develop players.

It is concerning.

My overall point was that as the OC he should be in charge of the most important group out there, even if we disagree with him overseeing the offense to begin with.

I just don't understand why he continues to get additional duties when he doesn't prove that he's remotely competent at doing anything at his original jobs. Why does he keep getting spread around more and more?

Also a good question. I think it's more to give him a shot at developing it and seeing if it works. If it does he gets all the credit, if not he deserves all the blame.

A "really good job" of running practice would pay dividends on the field.

Looks like Mitchell is the Associate Head Coach and most of special teams. Still seems like a significant role. Hard to see Grobe throwing Mitchell under the bus. They've worked together a long time.

A "really good job" of running practice would pay dividends on the field.

Looks like Mitchell is the Associate Head Coach and most of special teams. Still seems like a significant role. Hard to see Grobe throwing Mitchell under the bus. They've worked together a long time.

I think it's a slight to take the guy in charge of the most important single group on the team given the offense and moving him to covering all kicking duties.

It also says more that Grobe and Lobo have been hands-on with the running-backs. Gives the players the idea that they are being watched carefully on and likely off the field to stay out of trouble. Could be more than just an on-the-field coaching move.

Also a good question. I think it's more to give him a shot at developing it and seeing if it works. If it does he gets all the credit, if not he deserves all the blame.

Developing what? It's not like he's had nothing to do with the failures of our OL, ineffective and barely existent TE, misuse of Bohannon (and Rinfrette before him) at FB, and the decline of the running game. Putting him directly responsible for their development is a huge risk and something we shouldn't be talking about.

Good point. There really will be no place to hide if the running game fails.

Back