• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fantasy Football - Team Breakdowns

PhillyDeac

Reaction score
Break down your favorite team. Studs, Sleepers, Bust in waiting, Late draft pickups, etc.

Let's try and get the entire league covered and use each others advice to see how well we all do in our individual leagues.

EAGLES - The eagles defense is going to give up a lot of yards and a lot of points. Keep that in mind if you want to reach a little for Eli...not a bad move. Plus, with faster offense and a turnover machine at QB, opposing teams are going to get a lot of touches.

McCoy will have a better FF season than last year. Although he is going to start sharing some carries, the offense is also going to have a lot more plays, so there won't be a signifigant drop. Plus the OLINE looks great/healthy.

Jackson is interesting, I don't see how he doesn't get more touches. He is ALWAYS open...plus they are going to move him around the field more.... I expect him to have a better year as well.

Mike Vick is still going to turn the ball over like a mad man, get hurt, make dumb plays...he's off my draft board and should be off yours.

Late Round? Take Chris Polk. He's having a great camp and is going to get some touches....if either Shady or Brown get hurt, those touches will likely go up signifgantly.

Lions - Secondary will certainly be better, but still not worth a high pick defensively. They will continue to get scored on a lot and beat through the air.

Megatron is obvious.

Stafford is due for a really big bounce back from the slow start last year. Adding Bush to the ground/short passing game will help open up the deep ball in theory.

Leshoure is a gamble. He's still not 100%. If he fully recovers, he could be a sleeper pick for a bustout.

Otherwise, too many unknowns, too early to tell on anyone. No TEs worth reaching for.

Ravens

RBs: Rice might be a little overrated as a top 5-6 pick because I see Pierce getting more carries this year. Pierce is really good. I see Rice getting 1100 rushing yards and Pierce around 800.

QBs: Flacco is fine as a fantasy #2 but historically has been been wildly inconsistent. I believe much of his inconsistency was due to Cam Cameron and not a consistent OL. No way the Ravens win the SB last year had they not fired Cameron. Flacco throws a great ball but is immobile and doesn't sense pressure. Losing Boldin hurt, but losing Pitta really hurts. Those were his 3rd down go to guys. I'd value him in the mid teens as a fantasy QB but higher as a real life QB.

TE: Dickson is worth a last round or 2 steal as a #2 TE with Pitta out. Having a good camp too. Prolly good for 700 yards.

WRs: Torrey Smith may see a lot of double coverage this year. He's having a good camp, but the other WRs need to step up to make defenses respect them to free him up. Jones isn't an every down WR given his return duties but is a great returner. The wild card who could really surprise and put up decent #s is Deonte Thompson, a 2nd year UDFA - fastest guy on the roster and is having a good camp.

K: I see us kicking a lot of FGs because we lost our 2 best red zone targets. Lots of long TDs and 30-40 yard FGs this year. And Tucker is almost automatic inside of the mid-50s. Should be 1 of the best fantasy kickers.

D: Last year with Sizzle out, I knew to stay away from our D, and we used to be a top 5 fantasy D most years. But this year I'm high on the D once again. Sizzle and Dumerville are in great shape and look great in camp. And they beefed up the DL with Canty, Spears and a rookie NT. DC Dean Pees did a great job last year keeping this unit together despite the missing pieces. This year look for more blitzing, which should result in more TOs and sacks. Definitely the most underrated aspect of the team in the expert fantasy projections. Most rate them in the 10-15 range, whereas I think they'll be at least top-10 if not top-5.

Ravens

RBs: Rice might be a little overrated as a top 5-6 pick because I see Pierce getting more carries this year. Pierce is really good. I see Rice getting 1100 rushing yards and Pierce around 800.

QBs: Flacco is fine as a fantasy #2 but historically has been been wildly inconsistent. I believe much of his inconsistency was due to Cam Cameron and not a consistent OL. No way the Ravens win the SB last year had they not fired Cameron. Flacco throws a great ball but is immobile and doesn't sense pressure. Losing Boldin hurt, but losing Pitta really hurts. Those were his 3rd down go to guys. I'd value him in the mid teens as a fantasy QB but higher as a real life QB.

TE: Dickson is worth a last round or 2 steal as a #2 TE with Pitta out. Having a good camp too. Prolly good for 700 yards.

WRs: Torrey Smith may see a lot of double coverage this year. He's having a good camp, but the other WRs need to step up to make defenses respect them to free him up. Jones isn't an every down WR given his return duties but is a great returner. The wild card who could really surprise and put up decent #s is Deonte Thompson, a 2nd year UDFA - fastest guy on the roster and is having a good camp.

K: I see us kicking a lot of FGs because we lost our 2 best red zone targets. Lots of long TDs and 30-40 yard FGs this year. And Tucker is almost automatic inside of the mid-50s. Should be 1 of the best fantasy kickers.

D: Last year with Sizzle out, I knew to stay away from our D, and we used to be a top 5 fantasy D most years. But this year I'm high on the D once again. Sizzle and Dumerville are in great shape and look great in camp. And they beefed up the DL with Canty, Spears and a rookie NT. DC Dean Pees did a great job last year keeping this unit together despite the missing pieces. This year look for more blitzing, which should result in more TOs and sacks. Definitely the most underrated aspect of the team in the expert fantasy projections. Most rate them in the 10-15 range, whereas I think they'll be at least top-10 if not top-5.

Intesting insight on that Defense. Who is the new MLB?

Chi-city

QB - Cutler is likely going to be a fringe top 10 QB this year, with upside. The new coach is an offense first guy and is bringing in a high flying attack (think Raiders in the late 90's / early 2000's with Gannon & Charlie Garner). He will be a great get as a #2 QB and could be a 1B or matchup QB if you miss out on the top 5 or so. You should be able to still grab him as the 15th-ish QB.

RB - Forte is being ranked between 8-10 this year - also has huge upside. He will be a stud in any PPR leagues, and should have 1,500 total yards pretty easily - not sure how many TDs - but he is a great buy if you can get him at the end of the first or beginning of second round of any 10/12 team leagues.

WR - BMarsh is a stud - don't expect him to replicate last year, but should still be a top 10 WR. Jeffrey is the next guy to look at - I wouldn't necessarily draft him, and if I did, it would be late - but you should keep an eye out, because he has huge potential

TE - Bennett should be a decent TE option this year and should be drafted in most 12 team leagues - will be a fringe #1 guy as well, since this offense should be able to get him 50/60 balls

DST - Thinking a little worse than last year. With Bostic or DJ replacing Urlacher they aren't going to lose a ton, but the rest of the team is older and I am not sure they can replicate career years by guys like Tim Jennings - they should have a solid rush and get a decent amount of sacks with Melton, Peppers, McClellin and Wooten up front, but i am worried about the change in coaching and how that will effect the game play. I would not reach for them at all - Hester is back and should be starting PR and KR, which is nice and can help, but still not going after them early

49ers

QB - Kaepernick. Beast. May be the first QB in history to throw for 4000 & rush for 1000.

RB - Gore. Will go later than he should in most every draft, just as he has every season since he came into the league. Lamichael James will get more run than last year, but will probably do the majority of his damage returning punts.

WR - Crabtree. Loss will hurt until he returns in October. Probably won't come on strong until mid November when most fantasy seasons start to come to a close. Boldin should have an immediate impact and is poised to have the best statistical season of his career. Austin Collie & Kyle Williams are possible sleepers.

TE - Davis. Has been lining up at WR most of training camp so far but will still be listed as TE for fantasy purposes I'm sure. Developed great rapport with Kaepernick in playoffs last year after a slow close to the regular season after the switch from Smith. Should have an All Pro season.

DST. Loss of Goldson will hurt secondary, as will Culliver's injury. Still should be top 5 defense in league pretty easily.

(I'm not biased at all.)

49ers

QB - Kaepernick. Beast. May be the first QB in history to throw for 4000 & rush for 1000.

RB - Gore. Will go later than he should in most every draft, just as he has every season since he came into the league. Lamichael James will get more run than last year, but will probably do the majority of his damage returning punts.

WR - Crabtree. Loss will hurt until he returns in October. Probably won't come on strong until mid November when most fantasy seasons start to come to a close. Boldin should have an immediate impact and is poised to have the best statistical season of his career. Austin Collie & Kyle Williams are possible sleepers.

TE - Davis. Has been lining up at WR most of training camp so far but will still be listed as TE for fantasy purposes I'm sure. Developed great rapport with Kaepernick in playoffs last year after a slow close to the regular season after the switch from Smith. Should have an All Pro season.

DST. Loss of Goldson will hurt secondary, as will Culliver's injury. Still should be top 5 defense in league pretty easily.

(I'm not biased at all.)

Lattimore coming back in week 10 or 11 will be interesting to watch - Gore probably has one good season left as an RB2 this year - but can't imagine they continue to spend draft picks on guys like Hunter, James, Lattimore and just let them get 2-3 touches a game.

Intesting insight on that Defense. Who is the new MLB?

Daryl Smith, formerly of the Jags, has sewn up 1 inside spot. Some combo of Bynes, Art Brown and McClellan at the other. Prolly mostly Bynes (who started much of last year due to injuries to Lewis and McClain) early on on running downs and Art Brown in passing situations. Brown is small and fast. McClain (a former starter) hasn't been cleared yet from his spinal contusion. Wouldn't be surprised if he never played again. OLB will be a 3 man rotation of Sizzle, Doom and Upshaw (Sizzle and Doom on passing downs with Upshaw getting more action on run downs).

Safety will prolly be Huff at FS and Elam (rookie from Florida) at SS. They're high on their 1st 3 draft picks on D, with all 3 at the very least getting into the rotations at S, ILB and NT.

Pretty good depth all around too, except at QB. My only worries are WR play (a significant worry) and OL depth at T.

Jets

If you have a Jet on your fantasy team, then you will not have a good season

My sympathies to Jets fans. Sad but very true. Maybe the D would be worth owning because they won't give up a ton of points. Trouble is most opponents will just be running the clock out in the 2nd halves of games, so they may not get many sacks or TOs.

These are actually pretty well done. Keep em coming.

49ers

(I'm not biased at all.)

Lol you don't say??

I think 3800/700 is more realistic, but I would still take that in a heartbeat....

Cowboys

Overall, great gets at all the skill positions that will be undeniably hampered by the sieve that is our offensive line. We are placing allot of hope in rookie T. Frederick and UDFA Ronald Leary to change that thing up front. Other than oline, the only pause for concern is we have switched over to a “12 personnel” look with the intention to apparently run the ball significantly more. But if Garrett is still overseeing everything, and the oline still sucks, look for us to desperately rack up tons of garbage yards and points against prevent D’s as we slug it out to another irrelevant 8-8 record.

QB
See Above. Best case, Garret abandons the run, we get down, Tony flings 30 times a game in the second half, Tony racks up 4,200-5,000 yards, 28 td, 13 ints. (ints will be down this year but look for one inevitable 4int game in there somewhere…probably against a division foe on a Sunday night).

RB
Demarco Murray. He will run for 200 yards 1 game, when you least expect it. He will miss 2 to 6 games with some sort of ailment. If Oline is truly better he will be our first 1,000 yard rusher since Julius Jones did it in 2006. (unbelievable from a franchise that brought you Emmit, Dorsett, and Hill).

WR
Dez
If oline is serviceable and allows time for things to develop, Dez Bryant will get close to breaking records.
Barring injury of course, 1,500 yards, 13 tds.

TE
Jason Whitten – 1,000 yards 5 tds.

DST- stay away. We got 73 yr old Monte kiffin, who was torched by chip kelly’s spread option now bringing the vaunted tampa 2 to D town. Problem is it’s the same personnel. 3-4, 4-3, if it’s the same guys out there you’re just rearranging chairs on the deck of the titanic. D line will be the biggest problem. Ratliff is a 30 something often injured, undersized DT who spent that past 5 years of his career playing a 1tech NT taking on double teams and serious body abuse as well. Hatcher is alright but he is not a real 1 tech. After that your looking at 7th round standout Sean lissemore from William & Marry as your depth. You’d think our DE group would be straight with Ware and Spencer, but Ware is at the age that he needs spells. Who is there for depth? 4th round standout Kyle Wilber from Wake Forest. Sad thing is we like what Wilber may be able to offer in the future, but we need serious contributions from him NOW.

The other concern is Safety. After Will Allen, you have Barry Church who has 1 game of experience, Rookie JJ Wilcox from small Georgia Southern, and incredibly fragile and totally inexperienced Matt Johnson from even smaller Eastern Washington.

Vikings

QB - You better be in a deep league or need two starting QBs to consider Ponder. Could be a rotation QB2 but he will not be the focus of the offense

RB - Expect lots of running and lots of tackle breaking from Peterson. May not get the most TDs but he will get yardage

WR - I wouldn't slate Jennings as higher than a low WR2 and most likely a WR3 until it is seen how he fits in. If you want to take a late flyer, been hearing some good things about the rookie Patterson. Could produce some big games via the deep ball with defenses focusing on Peterson but there is question as to whether he has the work ethic and attitude to translate quickly.

TE - Rudolph is a pretty decent option. I think he will finish in the Top 10 just based on the red zone looks he gets where he is the main passing target, especially with Harvin gone.

DEF - Should be a little better on the line which should help create more pressure and better sack numbers for the defense. Plenty of questions at LB other the Greenway. The DB group is an area of concern with the departure of Winfield. CB play will be suspect but Harrison Smith will hold down the back end of the defense. At this point they are nothing more than a rotation start until more is seen of this group especially how the LB and CBs play.

K - Walsh is set up for another monster year as a fantasy kicker. The MN offense stalls so much just outside of the red zone that he gets an incredible number of long kicks that he almost never misses. He plays indoors over the half the year too which helps. I expect he will finish at or near the top of all fantasy kickers this year.

What about Miles Austin?

This is a rough question because it pits fantasy production versus reality. He should still be good for 900 to 1,000 yards, 5 tis, but with the emergence of dwayne harris, terrance williams (3rd round draftee to replace miles) and gavin escobar and our emphasis on "12 personnel" miles may take significant cut in his production. Furthermore, dude is due to miss a game or like 12 scattered quarters with "hamstring complications." It's amazing how much is production has fallen ever since the monmouth grad got that big jerry contract. Internally, it appears the organization is done with Miles.

49ers

(I'm not biased at all.)

The goldson loss will hurt but our defense is entirely built on Justin Smith. If we get the fully healthy bad ass pre-injury, we will be fine. If he can't regain his pre injury form, I am nervous.

Gore probably has one good season left as an RB2 this year

Kinda made my point for me about Gore being drafted later than he should be. He's clearly been a RB1 (statistically) every season he's played all year; including the past 2 seasons.

I also don't foresee Lattimore playing any meaningful downs this season. He may be physically ready by Week 10 but I can't see him playing unless all other options are hurt.

Back