• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball rock bottom

pourdeac

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but with the recruiting news there's been a lot of "we still aren't at rock bottom" comments coming from a lot of people. To get a clear picture...ignore all the personality problems, "culture" crap, Dino/Skip bashing, and the rest that people are now addicted to ad nauseum and just look at expectations and the bball program plan.

Wellman wanted someone to "coach up" players with high character and win. He was willing to wait to see something productive, but not wait indefinitely as many on here seem to believe. Bz was hired to do that. Bz's plan (not Wellman's) was a complete program tear down and rebuild. That pitch had to have included a faster recovery off the bottom to get to Wellman's original expectations for success. That means at some point in time, Bz has to match or surpass a normal coaching transition......even though he really didn't form the base until last year when other normal transitions would have started in year 1 and 2.

Bz has to produce this year in a big way or he's gone. He had to have set a higher bar with his high standards and such, which comes out at times in his interviews with Dan. All this caterwauling that Wellman is going to keep him forever is really baseless and just fear. A higher bar means higher expectations despite the lack of success. I don't buy into the notion of a lower bar, I think Wellman was just willing to wait a little longer for the turnaround than many on here and wasn't going to apply that expectation bar until later as well. But that bar still exists.

So IMO we bottomed in Bz year 2. The recovery was slowed because of recruiting problems but Bz pitched a BETTER solution for success and set expectations high that he could coach up the player he could recruit. He has to have success this year based on those expectations. If he does, then recruiting will uptick because of the success. If not, he'll be replaced going into next year and we'll have a new coach with a very strong base to work with and recruiting will uptick. EITHER WAY....things must improve going forward (assuming a good coach is hired but that's another discussion).

If Bz didn't have such a negative/bland personality and hadn't alienated the fan-base with Dino/Skip bashing.... another season like last year might be tolerated, but I think that shortened the leash and Wellman will pull the plug if we don't see a lot of success this year.

Just my 0.02.

rock bottom is the extension announcement, likely coming after a loss to georgia tech or something

Not to beat a dead horse, but with the recruiting news there's been a lot of "we still aren't at rock bottom" comments coming from a lot of people. To get a clear picture...ignore all the personality problems, "culture" crap, Dino/Skip bashing, and the rest that people are now addicted to ad nauseum and just look at expectations and the bball program plan.

Wellman wanted someone to "coach up" players with high character and win. He was willing to wait to see something productive, but not wait indefinitely as many on here seem to believe. Bz was hired to do that. Bz's plan (not Wellman's) was a complete program tear down and rebuild. That pitch had to have included a faster recovery off the bottom to get to Wellman's original expectations for success. That means at some point in time, Bz has to match or surpass a normal coaching transition......even though he really didn't form the base until last year when other normal transitions would have started in year 1 and 2.

Bz has to produce this year in a big way or he's gone. He had to have set a higher bar with his high standards and such, which comes out at times in his interviews with Dan. All this caterwauling that Wellman is going to keep him forever is really baseless and just fear. A higher bar means higher expectations despite the lack of success. I don't buy into the notion of a lower bar, I think Wellman was just willing to wait a little longer for the turnaround than many on here and wasn't going to apply that expectation bar until later as well. But that bar still exists.

So IMO we bottomed in Bz year 2. The recovery was slowed because of recruiting problems but Bz pitched a BETTER solution for success and set expectations high that he could coach up the player he could recruit. He has to have success this year based on those expectations. If he does, then recruiting will uptick because of the success. If not, he'll be replaced going into next year and we'll have a new coach with a very strong base to work with and recruiting will uptick. EITHER WAY....things must improve going forward (assuming a good coach is hired but that's another discussion).

If Bz didn't have such a negative/bland personality and hadn't alienated the fan-base with Dino/Skip bashing.... another season like last year might be tolerated, but I think that shortened the leash and Wellman will pull the plug if we don't see a lot of success this year.

Just my 0.02.

are-you-serious-right-now.jpg

I think Wake is going to be a serviceable basketball team this year, but that doesn't mean three years of elective self-mutilation were either necessary or acceptable.

Also... Nothing (I mean nothing) about bz's tenure at wake suggest that he has some sort of plan to success that we are following. We are going to suck again next year.

I think if we've learned anything from this debacle, it can always get worse.

I think if we've learned anything from this debacle, it can always get worse.

This.

I have always said that rock bottom is contract extension. Wellman will continue with Buzz until we luck into a winning season. Then he can save some face. Hopefully we fire them both this year because who knows how long it is going to take for Buzz to have a winning season! It sure won't be in year 4.

We're the college basketball version of an oppressed nation dominated by a dictatorial tyrant. We need to rise up.

This.

I have always said that rock bottom is contract extension. Wellman will continue with Buzz until we luck into a winning season. Then he can save some face. Hopefully we fire them both this year because who knows how long it is going to take for Buzz to have a winning season! It sure won't be in year 4.

It'll be close this season. Probably somewhere between .500 and NIT.

We're the college basketball version of an oppressed nation dominated by a dictatorial tyrant. We need to rise up.

We stopped going to games, put up billboards and newspaper ads....what else could anyone do? Wellman will ride this all the way to the end.

Isn't pourman the same poster that guaranteed that [Redacted] was gone towards the end of each of the last 2 seasons? Or am I confusing pourman with another poster?

Hard to argue with the OP basic premise.

Agree that results on the court must be better this year, or the staff will be gone. If not, that means RW is planning his own retirement as AD.

While we are changing our offense to a double low post set that shifts into a hi/lo formation and will press more defensively, there is no realistic basis to expect significantly better results this year. We are still not very good, especially compared to our competition which has improved more than we have. And our players do not particularly like our HC, with the exception of DGreen. They do like each other, they like the staff, and most like WF. With or without a coaching change, it would be naive to expect that Travis will be the only one not back next year. It remains to be seen how strong the foundation will be going forward. And no, it is not appropriate to speculate on who might stay and who might leave at this time. Let's just hope our Deacs can win a few games this year.

pouranalysisdeac brings the heat on this thread!

Pourdeac: Neither the hiring nor the retention of Jeff [Redacted] were reasonable. Because irrationality ruled those decisions, it is pointless now, after the fact, to try to make those decisions conform to any standards of reason. They weren't reasonable decisions then, they aren't now, and they wont be reasonable decisions in the future either. Everybody in the Wake community needs to recognize and confront that reality, and the sooner the better.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, rock bottom would be getting caught with some sort of major violation AND sucking as bad as we do. Right now, we're like the toupee on rock bottom's bald head.

A violation that would result in Bz getting fired?

Not rock bottom.

Back