• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wyndham Championship

CumberlandDeac

Reaction score
Numbers and I are going to the Wyndham Championship on Saturday. We were wondering if anyone else on the boards was going/had some extra tickets they needed to get rid of.

Numbers and I are going to the Wyndham Championship on Saturday. We were wondering if anyone else on the boards was going/had some extra tickets they needed to get rid of.

They used to give us teachers free passes, but Guilford County has taken that away as well.

They used to give us teachers free passes, but Guilford County has taken that away as well.

Teachers definitely need free pga tickets in addition to three months off, working 7ish hours a day, etc. That's definitely reasonable....

Teachers definitely need free pga tickets in addition to three months off, working 7ish hours a day, etc. That's definitely reasonable....

Sounds like the makings of an interesting discussion. Any takers?

I don't know a teacher that gets three months off. Every teacher I know has a summer job since we don't make shit teaching. I don't know a teacher that works 7 hours a day, either. When do we grade papers? When do we plan our lessons? When do we make parent contacts? I haven't received a raise in nine years. In two years NC will rank 50th in teacher pay in the US. 50th. Yeah, three months off.....

Not to mention that it's actually 2 months.

Not to mention that it's actually 2 months.

Not at the college level. It's closer to 4 when you count the month off for Christmas.

That said, pay is commensurate with 8 months of work, and not 12.

They were talking about Guilford County schools, not colleges. Teachers are on 10 month contracts and professors are on 9 month contracts so it doesn't matter anyway.

I never have gotten the teacher hate. Both my sisters are elementary school teachers. I wouldn't want their jobs - can't imagine the headaches I'd have at the end of the day. And they're both dedicated and good at what they do. Sure there are bad teachers out there just like every other profession. But our hope for our future generations largely lies in education.

I never used to hear teaching as a profession disparaged like it has been the last 5-10 years. What started all this crap?

I never have gotten the teacher hate. Both my sisters are elementary school teachers. I wouldn't want their jobs - can't imagine the headaches I'd have at the end of the day. And they're both dedicated and good at what they do. Sure there are bad teachers out there just like every other profession. But our hope for our future generations largely lies in education.

I never used to hear teaching as a profession disparaged like it has been the last 5-10 years. What started all this crap?

I am damn good at what I do. I usually have the highest math scores in my county and I teach at a very highly impacted school. It takes a lot to motivate the kids these days. I don't know where all of the hate came from. People always tell me that teaching is easy and that we always get the summers off. However, every time I tell one of those people that they should try teaching, the response is always the same.... "Hell no"!
As far as pay, some of my students make more money than I do slinging, if that tells you anything.

The hate is purely political.

Not sure why an instituted 2 months of unemployment is considered a perk.

Stratt,
I don't agree with everything you post but today I am 110% behind you, I don't know where all the hate came from either but my guess is it started as attacks on the teachers "union" by the right wing and has morphed into what it is now. Thank you for your dedication and your efforts.

Stratt,
I don't agree with everything you post but today I am 110% behind you, I don't know where all the hate came from either but my guess is it started as attacks on the teachers "union" by the right wing and has morphed into what it is now. Thank you for your dedication and your efforts.

Thank you. The sad thing is that we CAN'T even join a union here. We are completely at the mercy of the state.

Stratt,

Is it not possible to dislike the NEA yet appreciate the job that teachers do, or would that be too nuanced?

I don't get any indication that anyone actually "hates" teachers. Just because someone thinks teachers work 7 hours a day (which is a totally false assumption) and should pay for golf tickets, that certainly doesn't mean that they hate teachers.

Back