• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland athletics continues to struggle financially, despite planned move to Big Ten

Dallas33

Reaction score
A report released by a University of Maryland commission on Tuesday detailed an athletic department that continues to operate at a significant deficit and is projected to do so until at least the 2017-18 academic year, even as the school prepares to jump from the ACC to the more lucrative Big Ten in 2014.

The commission found that the Maryland athletic department operated at a deficit of more than $21 million for the past academic year because of two reasons: “past financial decisions” that led to continuing debt and the ACC’s withholding of roughly $15 million in revenue. The conference began withholding the revenue last year as part of its efforts to collect a $52 million exit fee from the school, which maintains that the fee is illegal.

According to the report, the university has loaned the athletic department — which has a goal of being self-sufficient — upwards of $21 million to overcome the deficit, with additional loans of $20 million potentially required if the ACC continues to withhold revenue. The loans are funded by the university’s Non-State Auxiliary Funds, which are collected from school-run programs such as parking tickets and dining services, according to a university spokesman.

Link to the Article

debbie-yow-flashing-wolfpack-sign.jpg

Looking forward to making Terrapin Stew one more time this Homecoming.

NC State fans should never really have a problem filling seats. You can say what you want about them, but those crazy assholes support the hell out their teams.

NC State fans should never really have a problem filling seats. You can say what you want about them, but those crazy assholes support the hell out their teams.

They're the only fanbase that (subconsciously) need to lose more than they want to win. They're never disappointed in the outcome. They enjoy cannibalizing their coaches that can't beat the other team as much or more than they enjoy being their opponents.

Debbie can't help the Terp fanbase blows.

James Franklin and an excited fanbase sure could help that money problem me thinks...

Last edited:
Tag - yow lied jdawg cried

:golfclap:

I don't get it, why would I cry? This isn't exactly unexpected at this point in the game. We haven't moved yet.

Debbie can't help the Terp fanbase blows.

James Franklin and an excited fanbase sure could help that money problem me thinks...

She effed up the Franklin issue too. Probably wouldn't have hired him anyway, but definitely not hiring a green coach to a BCS school for north of $2mm per year like her stupid HCIW contract stated. I think that Vandy will fall back to earth soon though, although I do like seeing them succeed in the SEC.

This is basically a metaphor for UMD's Athletic Department finances.

crack-addict.jpg

It's like a much more depressing Pretty Woman scenario.

Back