• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBSSports.com's Preseason Football 126 Rankings

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
YOUR Deacs ranking at #69 in the nation in a list compiled by CBS Sports' college football writers. They seem to be on top of their research....

Opening Game: 09/06 at Boston College 8:00 PM ET
:rulz:

ACC teams in the rankings:
6. Clemson
11. Florida State
23. Miami
30. Virginia Tech
35. Georgia Tech
38. North Carolina
50. NC State
57. Pitt
61. Maryland
64. Boston College
65. Virginia
69. Wake Forest
70. Syracuse
71. Duke

Full list: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football/23134173/cbssportscom-preseason-126

Pretty reasonable take. There is a huge mashup from pretty much state down and any of those teams could reach that point. Maybe even include GT and UNC.

YOUR Deacs ranking at #69 in the nation in a list compiled by CBS Sports' college football writers. They seem to be on top of their research....

:rulz:

ACC teams in the rankings:
6. Clemson
11. Florida State
23. Miami
30. Virginia Tech
35. Georgia Tech
38. North Carolina
50. NC State
57. Pitt
61. Maryland
64. Boston College
65. Virginia
69. Wake Forest
70. Syracuse
71. Duke

Full list: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football/23134173/cbssportscom-preseason-126

12th out of 14.
I guess that's historically competitive. And it will provide a good start toward another cellar dwelling finish in the Director's Cup!

I think we're between 55th and 65th. That's just picking hairs though. I don't know if Maryland will be very good this year.

Maryland will have one of the best wr corps in the country. If CJ Brown comes back strong and stays healthy they could surprise.

Screw Pitt and screw Mark May. Until they beat us, we shouldn't concede that they should ever be above us, despite their proud football heritage....Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Bowl bubble. Seems fair and stands with the 5 or 6 wins most of think we'll get.

Screw Pitt and screw Mark May. Until they beat us, we shouldn't concede that they should ever be above us, despite their proud football heritage....Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Can't wait to settle that one when we make our first trip to Heinz in 2023! Also what's with the Pitt hate? That's mega randoms.

Maryland will have one of the best wr corps in the country. If CJ Brown comes back strong and stays healthy they could surprise.

I did not realize this...who besides Stefon Diggs?

Was also curious. Apparently they have a dude who absolutely lit up JuCo last year

wsc - its really not hate of Pitt. Its a huge hate of Mark May and how he looks down on Wake and schools in our general band of competition and acts as if Pitt is in a different stratosphere. Wow. we won't play them until 2023. Welcome to the new ACC, huh?

SI.com has their top 25 out. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130814/sports-illustrated-preseason-top-25/?sct=hp_t1t_a1&eref=sihp

I note there are 4 academically demanding private schools on the list (Stanford, ND, Northwestern, and Vandy). Stanford and ND are kind of in their own category but it is worth pointing out that being a private school with good academics does not have to be incompatible with being good at football. Helps to have a good coaching staff.

It also helps to have an institution that understands the price of admission for the top tier of competition and removes some of the impediments to entry for the athletes needed to play at that level.

And I'm sure a school like Northwestern isn't massively relaxing their standards. More that the whole self-imposed "culture" thing is BS, which is what I bet Loh is going for.

Also for pdog (welcome back if you're the old board dude), we play our first game against Pitt in 2018, which yes, is still a long way away

Last edited:
That, as well as very stringent academic requirements that these other highly-regarded BCS private schools don't impose. Generally making WF receptive to pre-NBA/NFL caliber athletes.

I just don't buy that WFU won't be better than NCSU this year. They are breaking in a lot of new players. I do think they upgraded at coach in the offseason though.

Back