• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wall St Journal: The Writing on the Wall for the NCAA

The decision in this case could have long lasting effects. I have a feeling the NCAA is going down.

While I hope it does not happen, I think you could see a school like Wake not being able to compete for the $$$ grab and moving down in the conference pecking order to a place like the SoCon.

worst case scenario... this article says that it could be crippling to small schools in big conferences...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...10513489442936.html?mod=ITP_personaljournal_4

could wellman have been such a seer that he knew this was coming and submarined the athletic department in preparation?

Interesting that they article cites Iowa State's 55,00 seat stadium as "modest"; I also read yesterday that Iowa State has sold out all 43,000 season tickets for this season. But yet programs like theirs are remotely (?) in danger of financial catstrophe and/or moving to a lesser conference. If eventually that's Wake's fate I'll be dissapointed but o.k. with it. Over the years thru family connections I've been to probably as many Davidson and APP games as Wake, and save for the Orange Bowl season in some ways I've enjoyed the game day experience just as much if not more at the lower-level programs.

This makes sense:

One potential way of complying would be to award female athletes an equal percentage of revenue from their TV and licensing revenue, said Linda Carpenter and Vivian Acosta, authors of a book on Title IX.

Caught a radio interview with Steve Spurrier the other day and he openly admitted that there have been, and currently are, ongoing meetings between the big 4 conferences about paying players a stipend or possibly leaving the NCAA. Steve's all for it, even suggested paying players a $4500 a semester.

Caught a radio interview with Steve Spurrier the other day and he openly admitted that there have been, and currently are, ongoing meetings between the big 4 conferences about paying players a stipend or possibly leaving the NCAA. Steve's all for it, even suggested paying players a $4500 a semester.

If the talks are taking place among the big 4 confernces, I wonder which of the ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC, or PAC is being left out.

Hey dude, I'll pay you $10,000 if you spend a few hours signing this merchandise.

Naw man, I get this awesome $4,000 stipend. I don't need that kind of cash.

If the talks are taking place among the big 4 confernces, I wonder which of the ACC, Big10, Big12, SEC, or PAC is being left out.

I think that the ACC would be on the outside looking in. Definitely conference #5 when it comes to Football. ESPN had a preseason special on the other night and they covered the Big 4 conferences first. ACC coverage came on near the end of program in slot #5.

Isn't Hatch on record saying that Wake would never pay its student athletes?

I would guess the Big 12.

I would think either the quote was wrong and the talks are actually taking place among the big five conferences, or you're right, and the one left out is the Big 12. But even if that were the case, clearly schools like TX and OK are going to land somewhere.

The NCAA is as fucked up as any organization can be, but they do provide protection for Wake. I'm not sure we could compete at that level in the new landscape.

I would think either the quote was wrong and the talks are actually taking place among the big five conferences, or you're right, and the one left out is the Big 12. But even if that were the case, clearly schools like TX and OK are going to land somewhere.

The NCAA is as fucked up as any organization can be, but they do provide protection for Wake. I'm not sure we could compete at that level in the new landscape.

Major University sports programs like to deflect their own problems on the NCAA too. Alabama would like for the NCAA to seem like the bad guy than both Alabama and the NCAA, for example.

Can people not at least understand why there might be a growing number of fans who have followed college sports for many years, but are now more & more disgusted with shit like this...which is getting worse every day....and are gradually reaching the point where they no longer give a fuck about what happens? I mean, this train called "college athletics" is, way, way off the track these days. As I said, it has been a long time now since college sports were college sports. We seem to be headng toward a final destination where you will simply have semi-pro teams wearing college jersies.

BKF - I understand your point, but haven't College Sports always been this way? Extremely popular, that is. . .In the 30's and 40s, some of the most famous athletes in American were College Football players (think Red Grange). American has always had a love affair with College Athletics, particularly football. College Football was way more popular that the NFL until the late 60's. What has changed is the level of greed present in today's society and the fact that it is being underwritten by all of that TV $$$.

My question is when does it stop? If more fans like BKF say "Fuck it." and start following Division 1A schools or Division II schools or even High Schools, will the money follow and potentially mar the "purity" of those athletic endeavors?

We seem to be headng toward a final destination where you will simply have semi-pro teams wearing college jersies.

Um, we are there. And people may claim that they're disgusted, but in reality more and more people are interested and watching. Nobody honestly wants to watch something akin to intramural sports. They want the semi-pro stuff.

Our timing is perfect. We're entering the college football world at a time when the upside for a school in a major media market with a large alumni base of potential big money donors and a community surrounding us who loves us including big corporate and finance moguls like Jerry Richardson and Hugh McColl. We should be able to pay our players more than a lot of the shcools in the ACC and compete with the big boys on a player by player basis. Maybe we can add some perks like a Bank of America internship or Richard Petty Driving School. Wake Forest has been playing football for 150 years and hasn't done jack squat. As the statistical progression in the chart below projects, we will quickly overtake you in awesomeness this fall and soon after reach a level that you have never before seen. You'll be lucky if we let you into CUSA in a few years. We don't need you as a rival.

287ougg.jpg

BKF, DL4 and bigdouble, all of you are right, college athletics have become semi-pro athletics. It's the money. The opportunity legally to appease greed is available to almost everyone in college athletics but the athletes themselves. This is clearly unsustainable, and the step to begin paying the athletes is inevitable.

More total people may be watching, but that's because there are more people.

Your argument is that interest in college sports is pegged to population increase? No.

I know that I don't plan to go to any college basketball games this year. I may go to a football game or two...but I'm not even sure about that. I realize that I am in a different demographic subset than most posters on this board, but I dare say that as you get older you will empathize more & more with my position. Other things will enter your life and who wins a bunch of college basketball or football games will become less & less important, relative to other things in your life. You can't envision that now...but eventually, you will.

You are like the oldest, curmudgeonliest, broken-recordiest poster on this matter. You're not a litmus for overall interest in college athletics.

I used to live & die with the next WF game, but today I really don't care. Oh, I hope they win, but if they don't it really doesn't matter.

The vast majority of sports fans are like this. The percentage of college sports fans who live and die with the next game is very small. People just like to watch sports. Which is why your overall argument is not strong.

the money & greed in sports today has only hastened that situation. It's kind of sad, in a way, how money eventually manages to fuck up just about everything that it touches.

There's never been a better time to be a sports fan. HDTV, the Internet, fantasy sports, etc. All the teams I love are based thousands of miles away, and I can watch any game I want -- legally or illegally -- on my TV, computer or even my freaking phone. The amount of intelligent sports commentary now vs. 10 years ago is mindboggling.

Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. But in all, it's a great time to be a sports fan, and the demographics and economics bear that out.

:noidea:

Back