• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marching Deacs ?

HONDO2

Reaction score
My annual request....need a pre-season update on da band.

Total prospective members - new programs planned - road trips....etcetera.

Much Thanks !

Recent alumnus said they have a little over 75 returning, hopefully there are a lot of freshmen to help fill out the ranks.

We have just over 90 for this band.

According to the numbers we are writing for drill, coming up about 3-5 people short from last year so no big changes there.

A lot of woodwinds (ex. 19 saxophones)

We will be doing two shows this year. Traveling to Clemson on 9/28. Exhibition performance on 10/19 following the MD game at a Bands of America competition at Bowman Gray (39 high school bands attending).

Going to introduce a few new tunes in the stands including the Jeopardy Theme Song for official reviews.

According to the numbers we are writing for drill, coming up about 3-5 people short from last year so no big changes there.

We will be doing two shows this year. Traveling to Clemson on 9/28. Exhibition performance on 10/19 following the MD game at a Bands of America competition at Bowman Gray (39 high school bands attending).

Going to introduce a few new tunes in the stands including the Jeopardy Theme Song for official reviews.

Ugh. Please no.

More woodwinds + smaller band = less brass = less sound. Super.

Unfortunate to see the band regressing in terms of growth.

Jeopardy Theme Song is exactly the type of thing that band people would find funny and the rest of the crowd groans.

Yep. Not to mention it's been done for about as long as sports have had reviews.

We will do the best we can this year.

No, we won't be super loud but we never have been with the size band we have.

Students are becoming less and less interested in being a part of the band and we are honestly losing a lot of students to Greek Life on campus.

We have other songs that will be newer to the crowd as well.

Doing the best we can with what we have.

We will do the best we can this year.

No, we won't be super loud but we never have been with the size band we have.

Students are becoming less and less interested in being a part of the band and we are honestly losing a lot of students to Greek Life on campus.

We have other songs that will be newer to the crowd as well.

Doing the best we can with what we have.

Of course. No one is arguing that. In fact to say otherwise would be silly.

However, as somebody in the crowd who recognizes that gains have been made, it sounds like you're already setting the bar low. If the band person isn't excited then lord help the rest of us.

I hear ya.

Glad there are folks that pay attention :)

Just being honest that this won't be one of the bigger bands over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot of excitement and this will be one of the better bands. Just not of the bigger.

Thanks for all input!

here's my annual plea to forcibly confiscate all the clarinets and saxophones and put those people into a two-week trumpet/tuba/baritone/trumbone boot camp. Switching teams isn't as hard as you think. You're not trying to make the ex-saxes symphony stars, just serviceable players to get some decent sound out of "Come On Eileen".

I know it will never happen because they'd all quit before learning another instrument, but a man can dream.

here's my annual plea to forcibly confiscate all the clarinets and saxophones and put those people into a two-week trumpet/tuba/baritone/trumbone boot camp. Switching teams isn't as hard as you think. You're not trying to make the ex-saxes symphony stars, just serviceable players to get some decent sound out of "Come On Eileen".

I know it will never happen because they'd all quit before learning another instrument, but a man can dream.

Sounds like they're all quitting anyway. . . . might be worth a shot.

I'm happily turning over the "Band Apologist" reins to WakeForest2011 as my time with SOTOGAB is over. Good luck with the DeaconJoe's of the world WF2011.

marching band clarinet is useless. Might as well be a flag girl or whatever they're called

I should add, thanks for all you guys do. It is hard work and appreciated. A passion that defies explanation indeed.

Back