• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Summer Shootaround: ACC (ESPN Article)

Ayo

What up, Bird?
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/summershootaround130815/acc

Wake Forest

Best case: For all the Sturm und Drang surrounding coach Jeff [Redacted] and athletic director Ron Wellman -- a good deal of it justified -- the Demon Deacons did improve last season. That improvement didn't show up in the win-loss record, but given [Redacted]'s first two seasons (in which Wake ranked outside the Pomeroy top 200), the jump up to No. 132 last season, and the few promising wins that came with it, was at least a step in the right direction. Forward Travis McKie will be the senior next season; all other contributors of note (as Wellman is fond of pointing out) were freshmen last year. In a general way, that might set Wake up for a collective jump this season, even if a tournament bid still feels like a long way off.

Worst case: Wellman has been steadfast in support of [Redacted], but the fact that he felt compelled to announce [Redacted]'s return this season should serve as a pretty big hint of what will happen if the Deacons don't noticeably improve in Year 4. Another hopeless year and the [Redacted] experiment is probably over. For many Wake fans, that doesn't sound like a worst-case scenario.
I hope you're right, Eamonn.

Last edited:
But he was of course wrong about this one: "Forward Travis McKie will be the senior next season; all other contributors of note (as Wellman is fond of pointing out) were freshmen last year."

And then there's this nugget: "Which is not to say Miami is about to turn into Wake Forest (shudder). "

I quit reading at "Sturm und Drang".

Edit: I lied and kept reading. I'm disappointed that blurb is by the Saint of BuzzOut Eamonn because it is a fluff piece compared to his prior critical columns.

Last edited:
Just gave up ESPN insider this week. Where did Bilas have us in the power rankings?

14th out of 15.

5yxclk.jpg

Am I missing in the article where the writer accounts for CJ Harris graduating? The line about McKie being the senior with all other contributors sophmores (freshmen last year) seems to forget Harris, which might be pretty big unless a constant outside threat emerges.

I don't see how we could finish below Clemson, VT, or Miami. I think we'll finish 10th, 11th, or 12th.

I'll give a pass to folks on the Wake board predicting about Wake, but I think it's laughable to see things like " I don't see how we could finish above OR below so and so." Pointless until we see 'em play.

Am I missing in the article where the writer accounts for CJ Harris graduating? The line about McKie being the senior with all other contributors sophmores (freshmen last year) seems to forget Harris, which might be pretty big unless a constant outside threat emerges.

+ ∞

The way I read this, the writer has Travis leading the sophomores in 2013-2014. Nothing about last year.

We don't play defense, Devin not withstanding. Travis is a great competitor but defense is not his thing. I don't know how we stop people.

We have talent but they are going to have to hawk the ball to even stay in games. It is going to be interesting. Skip put the offensive pedal to the metal. Dino threw a whole new defensive scheme at opponents. Bzz is faced with making stops. He doesn't have the fire power to run and gun. We'll shortly see how Bzz deals with it.

How some of you can have watched bz for three years and then say "no WAY we are worse than ____" is beyond me.

How some of you can have watched bz for three years and then say "no WAY we are worse than ____" is beyond me.

I'm not even sure, "The Washington Generals," is acceptable.

Back