• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Program: Wellman Interview

There are no shortcuts. But we brought in a post-grad because our backcourt is so weak.

[Redacted] is working toward the long term health of the program, but we are slated to have 8 players graduate in 2016.

Our football team is going to be very physical this season but the key to the season and the only reason we weren't good last year was injuries and lack of depth. We have 15 starters returning from that team who are just automatically going to be less injured than last year?

How do people buy this? Please explain how this guy makes any sense to people.

Tough and good questions. Whatever else you might think about Mr. Wellman, you can't say he changes his position to suit his audience. His answers are remarkably consistent. He is betting the ranch on the course he has chosen and the coaches he has chosen.

Did anyone catch how certain he is about the change in scheme for the football team? It made me think that he was part of the decision-making process behind the change.

To add on to Ph...

"I am very confident that Jeff and his staff will lead our program to championship level in the near future", but I book the most cupcake OOC schedule possible that basically confirms that I have no confidence in Jeff reaching the NCAA tourney.

Good job, good effort, Ron!

"Many of our fans recognize that the team has improved each year that Jeff has been our coach. We must build a program with certain values and standards for us to be successful at Wake Forest. There are no shortcuts. Jeff has made every decision for the long-term welfare of our program and, as a result, our program will continue to improve this year and subsequent years. We have the foundation and players that will allow us to do that."

If anyone can decipher the bolded portion of this idiot's comment, please, by all means, feel free to do so.

What a dickhead this guy is. The amount of smoke he blows up peoples asses are crazy. Our basketball team last year wasn't improving as the year went on. We peaked in January/early February and played like ass for the final month.... As to the donations, could it really have gone up 3%? Jesus, I can't believe people are giving more to the athletic department.

Last edited:
Tough and good questions. Whatever else you might think about Mr. Wellman, you can't say he changes his position to suit his audience. His answers are remarkably consistent. He is betting the ranch on the course he has chosen and the coaches he has chosen.

Did anyone catch how certain he is about the change in scheme for the football team? It made me think that he was part of the decision-making process behind the change.

He's betting the ranch but he picks the winners.

He's certain about a change in scheme because that's what the hype has been. I doubt he specifically made them change the scheme.

Many of our fans recognize that the team has improved each year that Jeff has been our coach. We must build a program with certain values and standards for us to be successful at Wake Forest. There are no shortcuts. Jeff has made every decision for the long-term welfare of our program and, as a result, our program will continue to improve this year and subsequent years. We have the foundation and players that will allow us to do that.

If anyone can decipher the bolded portion of this idiot's comment, please, by all means, feel free to do so.
Culture! Culture! Blah, blah, culture! No criminals! Culture!

"Many of our fans recognize that the team has improved each year that Jeff has been our coach. We must build a program with certain values and standards for us to be successful at Wake Forest. There are no shortcuts. Jeff has made every decision for the long-term welfare of our program and, as a result, our program will continue to improve this year and subsequent years. We have the foundation and players that will allow us to do that."

I'd like him to elaborate on the values that our 1995 and 1996 basketball teams and our 2006 football team had that other teams did not.

What a dickhead this guy is. The amount of smoke he blows up peoples asses are crazy. Our basketball team last year wasn't improving as the year went on. We peaked in January/early February and played like ass for the final month.... As to the donations, could it really have gone up 3%. Jesus I can't believe people are giving more to the athletic department.

Now, let's not forget he hired Bernie Madoff, Jr. as his bean counter.

He's betting the ranch but he picks the winners.

He's certain about a change in scheme because that's what the hype has been. I doubt he specifically made them change the scheme.

Maybe but that is the most definitive information I have read about the changes. He seems to be saying more than Grobe himself has said.

"The metrics that are important to us are trending upward. For instance, our overall attendance improved 11% last year; our student attendance increased 55%; our freshmen played over 60% of the minutes available which is the highest percentage by far of any ACC school and the highest we can find in D1."

For some reason, I get a kick out of the bolded part. Instead of trying to build a winning program, Ron, or one of his lackeys in the athletic department, is actually wasting time digging up stats to explain away [Redacted]'s incompetence.

Possibly deluded. More likely just buckets and buckets of horseshit, more horseshit than I've ever seen, and I've seen tons of horseshit.

Why bother to interview him, dv7? He can't be fired, and he knows it.

Last edited:
There is no sense in talking to or listening to Ron Wellman. He just keeps repeating things that only a tiny lunatic fringe accepts. He simply needs to be removed. ASAP.

"The metrics that are important to us are trending upward. For instance, our overall attendance improved 11% last year; our student attendance increased 55%; our freshmen played over 60% of the minutes available which is the highest percentage by far of any ACC school and the highest we can find in D1."

For some reason, I get a kick out of the bolded part. Instead of trying to build a winning program, Ron, or one of his lackeys in the athletic department, is actually wasting time digging up stats to explain away [Redacted]'s incompetence.

And I'm pretty sure that stat is wrong anyway.

Yeah, nobody at Kansas or Kentucky is researching other team's excuses.

Back