• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich making it official

WakeandBake

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/05/11/gingrich/index.html

"...his agenda includes overturning the health care reform bill, eliminating the Environmental Protection Agency and pushing more development of energy sources and advocating tax cuts.."

him eeking out the nomination isn't impossible, but I don't see how he gets the young and/or independent vote in the general with this type of platform.

No prayer of getting the nomination...more baggage than an airport terminal

I hope that becomes the platform of the GOP for 2012.

No prayer of getting the nomination...more baggage than an airport terminal

name recognition, smarts, sucking up to the far right could get him the nomination. The rest of the legitimate Pub field lacks that. Obama hatred from the far right could be strong enough for them to look the other way on his less-than-stellar marriage record. like I said, not impossible.

I just can't figure out a true front runner. Well, a legitimate one anyway

No way in hell Newt gets nominated. I think he's gunning for a VP nomination as the GOP candidate will most likely be someone younger and inexperienced comparatively.

Many if not most of the most active Republicans will not recall or weren't old enough to remember when Newt was last relevant.

He's now little more than a male version of the freakshow known as Sarah Palin.

Many if not most of the most active Republicans will not recall or weren't old enough to remember when Newt was last relevant.

He's now little more than a male version of the freakshow known as Sarah Palin.

I agree that he has way too much baggage, but Newt is far more intelligent than Palin and actually has a record of success in Congress that he can point to.

I don't want him to be president, but I like having him involved in politics at the national level in some way.

Unless somebody with a personality comes out of the woodwork, it doesn't matter. Obama could have a 99% unfavorable rating and he'd still win against any of the pubs currently seeking the nomination.

I agree that he has way too much baggage, but Newt is far more intelligent than Palin and actually has a record of success in Congress that he can point to.

I don't want him to be president, but I like having him involved in politics at the national level in some way.

I agree with LK. Trump, Palin, and Bachmann are one thing - Newt is quite another. He is smart, he can point back to a time of prosperity when he was working across the aisle with Clinton on the Contract for America. I don't agree with him much, but he is a 'real' conservative to the GOP base which decides primaries. he will out-debate much of the field in the primaries but it is true, his opponents will scour him with his marital bullshit.

I saw a few minutes of Chris Matthews the other day and I thought he nailed it on the head. Yes, Gingrich is smart and has experience, and is on the right side of the issues for most Republicans. But his demeanor is always negative. I don't think he inspires anyone anymore. Selling himself as a positive force will be a major uphill battle.

All true. My point was more to the bumpersticker rhetoric he uses to pander to the 10-second American attention-span and need for messages thin on substance, hot on grandstanding.

it's more unfortunate that someone like newt does said grandstanding since he actually understands the details. palin barely understands her twitter length soundbites.

if she understands them at all that is.

Uh reading through this reminds me of how terrible all of these GOP candidates are. Hell I'd consider voting for Obama if he hadn't forced through the worst legislation of my lifetime. Health Care is just unforgivable.

"Newt is far more intelligent than Palin "

The valedictorian of summer school...

Uh reading through this reminds me of how terrible all of these GOP candidates are. Hell I'd consider voting for Obama if he hadn't forced through the worst legislation of my lifetime. Health Care is just unforgivable.

Can you articulate any actual negative impacts it's had on your life?

How so?

I just got a copy of Newt's speech for tonight:

And to Maria Shriver. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. My number is 202-545-1234. I'm available too.

But wait until tomorrow to call, I've got to tell my wife she's history.

Back