• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rick Barnes to Wake?

No thank you. I want an up and comer. Not another retread.

Agreed, but if we go the retreat route, Barnes would be a decent way to go. Would at least build us back to respectability. IMO, would be better than Howland or Greenberg.

Fun fact, Barnes is one year younger than [Redacted] yet has more than 400 more college wins on his record.

If Rick Barnes were to come build the program back up and retire in 4-5 years we would be in a far better position to hire a young up and comer than we are now.

lzxsu25

If Rick Barnes were to come build the program back up and retire in 4-5 years we would be in a far better position to hire a young up and comer than we are now.

This. We have a major rebuilding project after buzz leaves.

Agreed, but if we go the retreat route, Barnes would be a decent way to go. Would at least build us back to respectability. IMO, would be better than Howland or Greenberg.

Fun fact, Barnes is one year younger than [Redacted] yet has more than 400 more college wins on his record.

They were also on the same staff at Davidson in the late 70's. McKillop was there also.

There would be better long-term options, but given Wellman's preference for older/established coaches, would not be shocked if WF trolled for him after the season. FWIW, I doubt that he would want the job.

Anything is better than seeing that god damn golf clap standing on the sideline.

the rule for wrestling references on the board is that they must be at least 10 years old. It's easy to remember this as "The Scorpion King Rule"; If your reference happened after the Rock made "The Scorpion King", it's too new.

Last edited:

No offense but this program is not in a position to get ANYTHING it wants. It must take what it can get. I can name a slew of guys I want over Rick Barnes, like literally 20. But as for where we are and what we are eligible to take....I'd honestly take Gaudio back in a minute tomorrow if it were offered.

This would be a good move. It would reestablish credibility in many circles while satisfying Wellman's odd fetish for only hiring coaches in their fifties.

I totally invented this idea well over a year ago.

Barnes has some fire in his belly- it was awesome when he got in Dean Smith's face back in the day while at Clem's son.

Back