• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Dino fired?

FreeknDeacon

Reaction score
Isn't this topic part of the reason this board was started? Why was Dino really fired?

culture_hunter_big1.jpg

Well, the reason seems to be because a bunch of Deacon Club moneymen showed up to Wellman and told him they'd pay for the buyout.

Why Wellman wanted him gone is far more nebulous.

The consensus seems to be some combination of not cracking down on James Johnson for skipping classes, workouts, and tutoring sessions; standing up to and generally being on rocky ground with Ron Wellman on a personal-interaction level; *edited out*; and embarrassing himself in the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Everyone please feel free to add or amend; this is just what I've gathered from the board(s) and from what little I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another slant on the situation is that Dino says he does not know why he was fired and is very bitter about it. He found out 15 minutes before Ron called him in because somebody had seen it on the scout board and told Dino what he had read. It would be interesting to see who leaked the story prematurely.

Another slant on the situation is that Dino says he does not know why he was fired and is very bitter about it. He found out 15 minutes before Ron called him in because somebody had seen it on the scout board and told Dino what he had read. It would be interesting to see who leaked the story prematurely.

Didn't we just offer Tyler Lewis that morning? Or maybe the day before? Doesn't sound like something a coach in his last days would do

It could even be his daughter who saw it or one of the players. I know there are a lot of coaches who are bitter about it. One head coach and one assistant, both in major conferences have mentioned (one to me, one to my dad) that they think Dino was screwed and that they think Wake acted horribly in firing him.

Wellman is drunk on power and has been for well over a year now. He thinks he is untouchable. Sad thing is that is probably true for the time being.

A one man search committee? So damn arrogant.

Greenberg and Dino are pretty close, and I remember Greenberg offered Dino an assistant spot for this year, IIRC.

Subsequently wondered if Greenberg's insinuation that Wellman fucked VT out of the tourney last week was for two reasons - one, to placate the VT fan base, and two, to stick it to RW for Dino.

I know Greenberg has a bad rep w/ Wake fans, but he'll always be okay with me, for calling out Roy for re-recruiting Farouq after Skip passed. Stand-up move, IMO.

The consensus seems to be some combination of not cracking down on James Johnson for skipping classes, workouts, and tutoring sessions; standing up to and generally being on rocky ground with Ron Wellman on a personal-interaction level; *edited out*; and embarrassing himself in the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Everyone please feel free to add or amend; this is just what I've gathered from the board(s) and from what little I've heard.

If Wellman was that concerned about how James Johnson was handled then why did he give Dino an extension?

In my opinion it was either a personal issue (they just didn't get along), poor performance, or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could even be his daughter who saw it or one of the players. I know there are a lot of coaches who are bitter about it. One head coach and one assistant, both in major conferences have mentioned (one to me, one to my dad) that they think Dino was screwed and that they think Wake acted horribly in firing him.

Could explain why Wellman struck out with qualified candidates.

If Wellman was that concerned about how James Johnson was handled then why did he give Dino an extension?

In my opinion it was either a personal issue (they just didn't get along), poor performance, or both.

Exactly. The extension made zero sense when Dino was then fired the next year despite going farther in the tournament. Made absolutely no sense.

True, good point. Another issue I have with the list of Ron's candidates that was posted by DeaconKing the other day is that, IMHO, it seems a bit of a reach all told. IIRC, the list was something like: (1) Stevens; (2) Alford; (3) Tubby; and (4) [Redacted]. First, I think (1) and (3) were basically total wastes and just weren't ever going to happen regardless, Stevens because he's an Indiana guy angling for IU and Tubby because everyone knows he'd be a supremely costly hire. Second, I think Wellman dipped ENTIRELY too low after striking out on these first 3 guys. You don't go from (1), (2), and (3) to Jeff [Redacted].

I'd put it this way; if Wake hired a search committee to find a new coach, and that committee began with Brad Stevens, how long do you think it would be (i.e., after how many rejections from candidates) until they recommended Jeff [Redacted]? I guarantee it would be more than the 3 mentioned above.

I always wonder about this and my conclusion is that it certainly didn't help. They see a guy who they know and love- and by all accounts that I've heard, Dino is well liked, like Skip in coaching circles- and he is fired after winning a round in the NCAAs and bringing in another strong recruiting class. This plus not offering the kind of money big time coaches want, coule have been a factor. It's all speculation, but the coach I talked to was totally turned off by it. The other coach is good friends with my father and he has frequently spoken- at length- about how awful he thinks what happened to Dino was.

FWIW, I have a good childhood friend who works out NBA guys for the draft. He has trained a ton of huge names and he worked out JJ in Vegas for a month before the draft and told me that he totally underestimated how good he was and how good his work ethic was. He said he was the hardest working guy in the camp and that included a number of lottery picks.

FWIW, I have a good childhood friend who works out NBA guys for the draft. He has trained a ton of huge names and he worked out JJ in Vegas for a month before the draft and told me that he totally underestimated how good he was and how good his work ethic was. He said he was the hardest working guy in the camp and that included a number of lottery picks.

It's amazing to me how many Wake fans continue to believe that the kid averaged 15/8 from day one without trying hard.

I heard S. Alford was thinking Tom Crean might get the ax so he wanted to see if he could get the Indiana job.

I heard from a trusted source close to the team that Dino never had control of the team and would routinely be upstaged by the players in practice and games. In games, Dino would call plays, and JJ especially would step and and say "no we're doing this play" and Dino would be powerless. Dino was more of a figurehead than an actual coach. Said person is not a fan of Bzz as well so I doubt they'd make this stuff up. I certainly believe what they said to be true.

I heard from a trusted source close to the team that Dino never had control of the team and would routinely be upstaged by the players in practice and games. In games, Dino would call plays, and JJ especially would step and and say "no we're doing this play" and Dino would be powerless. Dino was more of a figurehead than an actual coach. Said person is not a fan of Bzz as well so I doubt they'd make this stuff up. I certainly believe what they said to be true.

So I guess the question is...did James call the final play in the Duke game for himself? Maybe he can replace Bzz if so.

Back