• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Such an excellent post

OliveGardenDeac

Reaction score
From the other board by DEKE73. Absolutely beautiful. Ron Wellman has completely lost it:

II came to Wake as a freshman in 1969. Since that time have been a loyal supporter financially and have rarely missed any home basketball or football games for over 40 years. I regularly attend numerous away games each season as well.

I have seen many coaches come and go and have always believed in being patient with new hires. But after what I have witnessed this basketball season, I am firmly convinced we need to make a change sooner rather than later. I am sure many of you have read all of the ugly statistics. They are truly hideous and truly historic. Double digit losses in 15 of 17 ACC games, most of which were complete blowouts, even at home. The recent rating I read on this board where we were ranked more than 100 spots below the previously worse team in the ACC is incredible. You have read many other examples of staggering statistics/

I was glad to see Ron Wellman remove Dino Gaudio last year. There were many issues, some we know about and some we don't. But then, Mr. Wellman took an amazing and unprecedented gamble to unilaterally hire a new coach with no search committee, etc. He gambled and lost, and we all ultimately lost. I don't see how anyone could deny that we had more talent on the team than the record or statistics indicate. It is my opinion that the team as a whole never bought into [Redacted] as a coach or a leader. Their play wreaked of that all year. As a freshman, Ari Stewart appeared to have All ACC in his future. Now after only a year with [Redacted], he will be gone and it was sad to see his demise over the year. Especially after he spoke up after the Melvin Tabb matter, suggesting that Tabb needed to take on the same work ethic as everyone else if he was to remain on the team. From that humiliating initial loss against Stetson to the 16th conference loss earlier today, Travis McKie was the only player I saw improve over the course of the season.
C J Harris tried very hard all year, but other than that I saw no overall improvement in the team or any individual.
[Redacted] made the same lack of experience excuses in his last post game interview as he did after his first one. Continuing to blame the same elementary errors after a full year of coaching is proof enough for me that he has been woefully ineffective in his coaching methods. [Redacted] is a lousy communicator in the press and I have to assume he is just as lousy with the team. He had no problem throwing players under the bus in interviews. Not once this year did I see him stand up to a referee or do anything to rally the team, other than politely clap, no matter what was going on. Not starting McDermott in his final game, after singing the National Anthem, was a travesty and a small glimpse as to how he just does not get it. Even Roy Williams started his walk-ons in their final game against Duke. That is class and bonds a team. Just the opposite effect of [Redacted]'s decision. I have seen a full season of a pathetically inept head coach who is in way over his head. Wellman's decision to become our post game analyst poured even more salt into the wound with his "I could not be happier", and "Jeff is the perfect fit", and "our practices are just great", and "all the players just love their coach". Can he think we are that stupid?
This was clearly the least motivated, non-competitive, poorly coached Wake Forest team I have ever seen in over forty years. The students completely lost interest. The fanbase has been decimated. And donations are not surprisingly, going down the tube. Combine this with the absurd decision within the Deacon Club hierarchy to change the priority system to current year giving a couple of years ago -- there is no wondering why loyalty is not what it used to be. How can you preach the benefits of loyalty and cumulative giving for decades and then arbitrarily change the system at the expense of long-time supporters who have stood with the Deacons through good times and bad times over many, many years? Finally, I find [Redacted]'s intent to de-emphasize recruiting 4/5 star players because he wants to recruit players with heart, is laughable. There are plenty of 4/5 star players with heart, they just have no interest in playing for [Redacted]. Our results have been so awful this year, I assume we could not possibly be worse next year. The bar could not have been set lower. Should [Redacted] remain our coach for yet another year, I truly hope no one will be satisfied with minimal improvement over the disaster we have witnessed these past few months. I care deeply about this university and our athletic program and know we can do better. But in order to do so, a change needs to be made - sooner rather than later.

He nailed it. Just absolutely spot on.

Somebody give that man an invite to over here!

Cheers to DEKE73. Well put, indeed. It amazes me that so many people in our fanbase are deluded enough to not see that we have a problem that demands action.

Great post, and the tone of it helped sell it IMO. Calm and crisp delivery.

I cannot wait till people here unload information when we officially go "public" on Thursday.

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the post, but it was very well expressed and I can certainly respect that. I definitely see where you noobs are coming from. ;)

I don't necessarily agree with a lot of the post, but it was very well expressed and I can certainly respect that. I definitely see where you noobs are coming from. ;)

I remember when I was young and ignorant. :thumbsup:

If that isn't an emoticon already then make it happen, tech team. You glorious smarter than me bastards.

Agree that the tone of it is what really makes it work.

If only both sides at the other place used those tones, it would still be a dictatorship but a more happy dictatorship.

Found Jesus and is now a missionary in west Africa

Back