• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

$20 million dollar iPhone app for SF

Seems like there are some compelling reasons:

"In this city, it is also a vexing traffic problem. Drivers cruising for parking spots generate 30 percent of all downtown congestion, city officials estimate. "

"Research conducted by Professor Shoup found that drivers looking for parking in a particular 15-block district in Los Angeles drove an estimated 950,000 miles a year, equivalent to four trips to the moon.

Those wasted miles are bad for the environment, driver anxiety, the efficiency of bus systems and pedestrian safety, Mr. Ford said. San Francisco has the dubious honor of having the highest rate among big cities for accidents involving pedestrians and cars. "

So the city that has the highest rate of pedestrian/car accidents wants to use a cell phone application to fix this problem? Yeah that won't distract already poor drivers at all...

The idea is that instead of wheeling around and around looking for spaces and not paying attention to lights and pedestrians, you stop, hit the app and wait for a space.

The idea is that instead of wheeling around and around looking for spaces and not paying attention to lights and pedestrians, you stop, hit the app and wait for a space.

In theory, this would be a good idea. However, I think we all know that there will be no stopping to wait for the spot. People will check they app while driving, just like they continue to text while driving.

This is begging for more accidents.

In theory, this would be a good idea. However, I think we all know that there will be no stopping to wait for the spot. People will check they app while driving, just like they continue to text while driving.

This is begging for more accidents.

Then they risk getting ticketed by beat cops or parking patrol. Hey, what can I say? They're trying. I think it's reasonable, at $4+ gallon gas, to think people might stop and search a real-time app for a space than wandering aimlessly for 30+ minutes.

Hmm... well at least the sensors could probably be used again in the future if the phone thing doesn't work out. W/ real time video/information screens around the city displaying parking availability in different areas or whatever.

Hmm... well at least the sensors could probably be used again in the future if the phone thing doesn't work out. W/ real time video/information screens around the city displaying parking availability in different areas or whatever.

Also the tech needs a virtual line to work. Otherwise there are a bunch of people trying to hit the sane spot first.

Well I was thinking it could give more of an approximation on which areas/streets had a higher number of spots open. Instead of directing you to a specific spot.

To be fair most of the $ is spent on the sensors and the backend and not the iPhone app; and that stuff is useful for all sorts of statistical data for planning.

Well I was thinking it could give more of an approximation on which areas/streets had a higher number of spots open. Instead of directing you to a specific spot.

Same problem really.

I was thinking more along the lines of "We spent $20 million on what now?"

I know, it happens everywhere. Federal dollars get spent on ludicrously expensive pet projects in various cities everywhere. This just strikes me as an example of such. Is it useful? Yes. Was it necessary enough to spend that kind of cash when we're broke? Debatable.

Have you been to SF in the past few years? Hell in the past ten years?

Parking is worse in SF than in NYC and it's not even close.

My guess is this pays for itself in productivity in its first year or so.

What it should also do is show where to put up parking garages.

You may be right, RJ...that's just my initial reaction upon seeing the price tag.

I love the SF parking lots where you have to park and retrieve your car at set times because they pack them in with a FIRST IN LAST OUT protocol.

I took a car into SF exactly once. That's all I needed.

Now it's cheaper to fly than drive. Once you get to either of the airports you can into town for $5-6 on BART or take a lorrie for about $12-15 directly to a hotel.

just wait until the high speed rail is done!!!!!!111111

by the way, the fact that this is only available on the iphone in SF cracks me up. AT&T sucks there.

Mny people do take BART every day. If really helps on traffic. SoCal needs such a system.

Have you been to SF in the past few years? Hell in the past ten years?

Parking is worse in SF than in NYC and it's not even close.

My guess is this pays for itself in productivity in its first year or so.

What it should also do is show where to put up parking garages.

And it should have been paid for by the city of SF.

Back