• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What most embarasses you about your own political party?

RicoSuave

Reaction score
I consider myself a Republican (although I'm actually more of a conservative than a Repub because I think party labels are stupid), but I've always been embarassed by the Whitewater investigation of Clinton, which led to some lame-ass perjury charges about getting a BJ. Regardless of party affiliation, I've always felt that it was a major waste of money and resources. I've also been troubled by W's fiscal irresponsibility and by political talk radio in general, which is predominantly conservative in nature.

What things about your own party embarass you the most?

I'm a reluctant Democrat. I'm going to refrain now because this would be a very long post.

The Republicans are out of touch on the environment. There are too many honest ways to make a living that don't involve squandering limited resources and potentially making people sick.

The Republicans are out of touch on the environment. There are too many honest ways to make a living that don't involve squandering limited resources and potentially making people sick.

Good. Post. jhmd?

Actually they are coming around on it.

I'm more embarrassed by the Holier than Thou religious right wing of the party. They freak me out, they give us a bad name yet they are so important to the party's framework that its impossible to cut out.

I'm registered as a Democrat but I'm pretty conservative fiscally. A lot of the efforts to demonize "big business" annoy me. (Plenty of other things as well, but that's the first that comes to mind.)

I'm a liberal but ever expanding employment law protections (like Lilly Ledbetter's retroactive BS and the ADAAA -- which was Bush, but I digress) piss me off, as well as constant union pandering (but then I hate the Walker's of the world and what they're doing more). I also don't like hippies and PETA.

As a conservative I vote GOP about 80% of the time...

1. Lack of fiscal responsibility and out of control spending

2. Focusing on social issues (Pat Robertson crowd)....although this seems to be waning with the rise of the Tea Party and the focus on fiscal issues

3. Lack of guts to take on reforming our entitlement programs that are collapsing under their own weight and which are unsustainable demographically

4. Lack of an energy plan that moves us faster away from oil...hasn't this been talked about since the Nixon years? Maybe after 40 years it's about time to have a real plan to reduce dependence on foreign oil

There's one guy I think could give President Obama a run for his money in '12 and that's Jon Huntsman. The usual suspects are already piling on his stance on environmental issues that are apparently heterodox. The other thing that will keep him from the nomination is something else that embarrasses me about the GOP: they'll never wholeheartedly support him because he's LDS.

lifelong democrat turned independent.

Democrats coziness with labor and Republicans acting as shills for Goldman Sachs.

I'm a liberal but ever expanding employment law protections (like Lilly Ledbetter's retroactive BS and the ADAAA -- which was Bush, but I digress) piss me off, as well as constant union pandering (but then I hate the Walker's of the world and what they're doing more). I also don't like hippies and PETA.

Damn I couldn't have said it better Shoo. If we both dropped the heated rhetoric, we'd probably find that we agree on a lot of stuff.

I'm not directing this toward jhmd, but in my experience conservative environmentalists are a bigger pain in the butt than liberal environmentalists. For the past 2 years I've been involved in a lawsuit about a proposed alternative energy facility. The usual hippie crowd came out of the woodwork to protest in their own 1960s-style, but most of them were doing it just because they were bored or just wanted to score some free dope (or maybe to hook up with other old hippies). They went away soon after the fun protests were over. But the conservatives who didn't want an energy facility in their neighborhood just wouldn't go away and wouldn't listen to the facts but are still stubbornly plugging along.

Not sure why that surprises you.. Hippies aren't generally good at actually getting things done. I mean, that's why I watch Whale Wars..

Lifelong independent.

Despite the fact that I am a religious person, I am embarrassed by the prominence of the religious right in the Republican Party.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin, the Democrats need to sever their ties to organized labor.

I'm not directing this toward jhmd, but in my experience conservative environmentalists are a bigger pain in the butt than liberal environmentalists. For the past 2 years I've been involved in a lawsuit about a proposed alternative energy facility. The usual hippie crowd came out of the woodwork to protest in their own 1960s-style, but most of them were doing it just because they were bored or just wanted to score some free dope (or maybe to hook up with other old hippies). They went away soon after the fun protests were over. But the conservatives who didn't want an energy facility in their neighborhood just wouldn't go away and wouldn't listen to the facts but are still stubbornly plugging along.

Those aren't conservative environmentalists. That sounds like the NIMBY crowd.

But since they've been mentioned, I'll say the hippies and uber-environmentalists Democrats embarrass me.

Back