• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's Film Discussion Thread

KickballDeac

Bernie Eskimo Bro
Reaction score
What have you been watching lately?

Last night I caught Antichrist on Netflix streaming. Directed by Lars von Trier (Dancer in the Dark), it's a psychological horror-drama that is artistically executed to near perfection, but I think ultimately relies too heavily on shock value in its second half. The cinematography is wonderful, and is reason enough to see it if you like some movies just for their technical aspects, but I'll warn you here: some sexual violence is depicted, and it ain't pretty. In fact, I think it would've been much more effective without it altogether, as those scenes came off as somewhat gimmick-y.

Two weeks ago I caught Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void (also streaming on Netflix). Noe is the same dude who directed Irreversible, so with that in mind you should have some idea of what you're getting into. And while it does contain its share of disturbing scenes and imagery (nothing on the scale of a 10-minute rape scene, thankfully), I thought it was a touching, poignant movie after all was said and done. Pretentious at times, yes, but completely original and thought-provoking. Just not for everyone.

I think I need to watch more comedies now. Anyone seen Hall Pass yet?

Last edited:
Saw Limitless. Thought it was pretty entertaining but nothing groundbreaking. Couple things that make you think "well that's just not realistic" but overall I enjoyed it.

Ending definitely saved the movie.

I agree with both of your reviews. Antichrist is beautifully shot but ultimately just left me thinking "that was weird" more than anything else.

I loved Enter The Void. I almost wish Noe wasn't quite so controversial so more people would see and appreciate his work, because he is a truly brilliant film maker, but at the same time if you toned his stuff down it would take away from the artistry of it.

On a less pretentious front, I saw Easy A and Four Lions recently and really liked both. Easy A was a lot of fun and Emma Stone was great. Four Lions was one of my favorite movies of the year. Its absolutely hysterical and thought provoking at the same time. It takes some serious skill to make you laugh at and sympathize with suicide bombers, but they pull it off perfectly.

Figured I'd bump this to get a movie thread back on the front page, so we don't have to start new threads for every flick we see.

The last 4 movies I saw...

Insidious - Watched it on Netflix Instant. Really well done horror flick. Loses some steam in the last 20-30 minutes, but I liked the ending and I think James Wan (who also directed the original Saw, and Dead Silence) is one of the best mainstream horror directors. B+

War Horse - Expected a lot from this with Spielberg directing and the Oscar nominations, but was thoroughly disappointed. I never felt a connection to any of the humans, as they interchanged so quickly, and by the end I was just ready for it to be over. Kept reading where people were crying at the end, but I never felt one emotional attachment in the whole thing. Looked pretty though. C

Red Tails - Also disappointed in this one. I thought the scenes in the air were amazing and really well done, but once the action was grounded, the characters were all pretty stereotypical down to the pilot with a drinking problem and the rebel who wants to do everything himself. Old lady in the crowd with us voiced her revulsion (in the form of a monster-ish groan) when one of the black pilots kissed a white woman. Gotta love South Carolina small towns and their continued racism. Dialog was terrible, including one of the worst villain lines I've ever heard ("Die, you foolish African!"). Like I said, the air stuff is fun though. B-/C+

Win, Win - Loved this. Wasn't expecting a whole lot but this ended up being one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Story of a struggling lawyer/volunteer wrestling coach whose greed comes back to haunt him after "adopting" a client's grandson who's an amazing prep wrestler. All the characters are superbly fleshed out and Giamatti is terrific as always. The supporting players (Amy Ryan, Bobby Cannavale, Jeffrey Tombor, Burt Young) were all perfect as well. A

Figured I'd bump this to get a movie thread back on the front page, so we don't have to start new threads for every flick we see.

The last 4 movies I saw...

Insidious - Watched it on Netflix Instant. Really well done horror flick. Loses some steam in the last 20-30 minutes, but I liked the ending and I think James Wan (who also directed the original Saw, and Dead Silence) is one of the best mainstream horror directors. B+

War Horse - Expected a lot from this with Spielberg directing and the Oscar nominations, but was thoroughly disappointed. I never felt a connection to any of the humans, as they interchanged so quickly, and by the end I was just ready for it to be over. Kept reading where people were crying at the end, but I never felt one emotional attachment in the whole thing. Looked pretty though. C

Red Tails - Also disappointed in this one. I thought the scenes in the air were amazing and really well done, but once the action was grounded, the characters were all pretty stereotypical down to the pilot with a drinking problem and the rebel who wants to do everything himself. Old lady in the crowd with us voiced her revulsion (in the form of a monster-ish groan) when one of the black pilots kissed a white woman. Gotta love South Carolina small towns and their continued racism. Dialog was terrible, including one of the worst villain lines I've ever heard ("Die, you foolish African!"). Like I said, the air stuff is fun though. B-/C+

Win, Win - Loved this. Wasn't expecting a whole lot but this ended up being one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Story of a struggling lawyer/volunteer wrestling coach whose greed comes back to haunt him after "adopting" a client's grandson who's an amazing prep wrestler. All the characters are superbly fleshed out and Giamatti is terrific as always. The supporting players (Amy Ryan, Bobby Cannavale, Jeffrey Tombor, Burt Young) were all perfect as well. A

I don't think any of those meet the Pit standards of a film (aka more than 10 people have heard of them).

The best new movies I've seen in the last few months are:

Another Earth (B+)
50/50 (B+)
Drive (A-)
The Ides of March (A)
The Muppets (B+)
Moneyball (B+)
Hugo (A+)
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (A-)
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (B+)
and The Grey (A).

Recent movies I thought would be better:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (B) (would have been a better TV mini-series)
The Adventures of Tintin (B) (Cool story bro, but Tintin is uninteresting)

The Worst Movies I've seen recently:

Apollo 18 (C-)
Dream House (F)
The Dilemma (D)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (C-)

I watched Braveheart yesterday. It's this historical indie flick - you guys probably haven't heard of it.

The best new movies I've seen in the last few months are:

Another Earth (B+)
50/50 (B+)
Drive (A-)
The Ides of March (A)
The Muppets (B+)
Moneyball (B+)
Hugo (A+)
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (A-)
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (B+)
and The Grey (A).

Recent movies I thought would be better:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (B) (would have been a better TV mini-series)
The Adventures of Tintin (B) (Cool story bro, but Tintin is uninteresting)

The Worst Movies I've seen recently:

Apollo 18 (C-)
Dream House (F)
The Dilemma (D)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (C-)[/QUOTE]

I give it an A (for a summer movie)

The Dilemma is one of those rare movies where at the end I was genuinely mad that I wasted 90 minutes watching it. And I watched it on a plane back from Europe.

The Dilemma is one of those rare movies where at the end I was genuinely mad that I wasted 90 minutes watching it. And I watched it on a plane back from Europe.

The worst movie of 2011 IMO. Vince Vaughn's career has just plummeted. Pretty sad.

Back