• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart

I think he's going to be a good coach. Hover, he's a guy I'd wait a year to see. I'd like to see how he does with a younger team and one with more of his own guys on it.

This is really Grant's team.

Shaka is doing a good job, but let's see.

I would love if he is still available a year from now as I think there is a good chance we will be looking for a new coach and I'm confident he will end up being a great one. However, I think someone else is going to hire him. :tear:

Tennessee should consider Pastner. Only hesitation is that he learned from Calipari, so thats not a good sign for his ethics.

Think I'd rather have the Memphis job than the UT job. Calipari really set that place up. Pastner has done gangbusters in recruiting in a very short time, with virtually no restrictions of any kind. Don't see any reason why he can't win 25+ games a year in the awful C-USA without breaking a sweat. Also, the committee has shown that it's willing to give Memphis--a high-major program in a mid-major conference--really high seeds when their overall record and RPI so commands.

Think I'd rather have the Memphis job than the UT job. Calipari really set that place up. Pastner has done gangbusters in recruiting in a very short time, with virtually no restrictions of any kind. Don't see any reason why he can't win 25+ games a year in the awful C-USA without breaking a sweat. Also, the committee has shown that it's willing to give Memphis--a high-major program in a mid-major conference--really high seeds when their overall record and RPI so commands.

They play at FedEx, too. I agree that the Memphis job is a good one. As a Tennessee resident, I'm not sure in bball which is a better job.

They play at FedEx, too. I agree that the Memphis job is a good one. As a Tennessee resident, I'm not sure in bball which is a better job.
Yea, good point about FedEx. Plus it seems like ESPN always reserves a fair number of November / December telecasts for Memphis's inevitable OOC matchups with other top programs. As long as Pastner recruits well enough to stay relevant and, in turn, continues to schedule OOC games with other top programs, Memphis will continue to get lots of exposure.

I think I might even prefer the Vandy job to UT if I'm ranking head coaching gigs in Tennessee. At least Vandy offers a unique product for kids looking at SEC schools. Plus they've got that weird-ass court and cool colors.

That sunken court is weird. But there's no way if you're in Tennessee that you rank Vandy above Tennessee. The support for UT in this state is astounding. Even though most people put football above bball, that alone makes it in the top 2, if not 1.

And I've started multiple threads and made dozens of postings saying he's #1 on my list today. what's your point?

No point being made, rj, not calling you out. Some very smart posters agreed with you back then. Great to see how he has surpassed everyone's expectations since this point 2 years ago. Go get him, Ron!

He can't deliver another good season next year. Not with the talent they are losing. But you'd hope the people making the decisions would be smart enough for judging him for his coaching, not on the talent of the players.

And they ended up winning 29 games, including the CAA championship and a NCAAT game (and only narrowly missed out on the Sweet 16 in a good game against Wichita State).

I think Shaka really validated his coaching ability that season, even if though it wasn't their Final 4 season.

Well maybe I should change the title of the thread to something like "A prayer to the basketball gods."

Let us pray to the gods of the courts that no one hires Shaka away in the next 6-8 weeks. So that he may still be available after next season.

Please gods of basketball, keep Shaka in Richmond for one more year. We'll be good.

And they ended up winning 29 games, including the CAA championship and a NCAAT game (and only narrowly missed out on the Sweet 16 in a good game against Wichita State).

I think Shaka really validated his coaching ability that season, even if though it wasn't their Final 4 season.

Seriously, they lost four starters and got BETTER in kenpom.

Reactions: TBR
I don't think Shaka is going anywhere. But we NEED to take our shot as soon as their season is over. We won't be alone. But I still think he is staying at VCU. He's built it and loves it in Richmond and the whole situation. But we have to try.

I think he's going to be a good coach. Hover, he's a guy I'd wait a year to see. I'd like to see how he does with a younger team and one with more of his own guys on it.

This is really Grant's team.

Shaka is doing a good job, but let's see.

Spot on.. But this is old news. Glad it was brought up again though.

Dude might be a great coach but damn he lucked into a great situation. Takes over Grant's team and gets the benefit of Skeen having a great senior season. If I'm him I jump at an opportunity to upgrade to the big leagues now if it comes.

For what its worth.. The A10 is a good league this year. 4 teams in the dance (slu, butler, vcu, temple) with maybe a 5th in Lasalle. The A10 is on shaky ground with the pretty much expected loss of Butler & Xavier and questions circling around about VCU being considered for the next wave of expansion by the Catholic 7 Big East. If Shaka waits out the conference realignment stuff at VCU, he may just end up in a big league without having to change schools.

Last edited:
And three of those four teams are leaving the A -10. Only VCU will still be there.

Back