PDA

View Full Version : Shaka Smart

Pages : [1] 2

RJKarl
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I think he's going to be a good coach. Hover, he's a guy I'd wait a year to see. I'd like to see how he does with a younger team and one with more of his own guys on it.

This is really Grant's team.

Shaka is doing a good job, but let's see.

deacvision7
03-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I've been sold on him for 2 months now. Such a motivator. Love him.

TWDeac
I was really impressed with the win last night.

WTB Shaka!

Smidge
HIRE SHAKA, its the SMART choice.

Deacsfan27
03-19-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm changing allegiances to VCU

The front page of their official website.

http://vcu.prestosports.com/landing/index

#winning

TBR
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I pretty much agree with RJ on this actually (and that doesn't happen often).

Another year or two and he would be a great get.

RJKarl
03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Taking down the Trojans could lead to a bunch of unwanted pregnancies.

deacvision7
03-19-2011, 12:50 PM

#winning

HAHAHAHAHA. That's fantastic.

KickballDeac
03-19-2011, 12:53 PM

#winning

That is awesome. Call me a fan of his too, but I also concur with RJ that next year will be more telling.

Smart, Stevens, and Pastner so far are looking like the foundation of the next great major program hiring class.

wkbrdr14
03-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Dude might be a great coach but damn he lucked into a great situation. Takes over Grant's team and gets the benefit of Skeen having a great senior season. If I'm him I jump at an opportunity to upgrade to the big leagues now if it comes.

KidA23
03-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Agree with rj. I'd want to see him coach his own players at VCU for 1-2 seasons before I'd be ready to give him a shot in a conference like the ACC. Right now, he's coaching a bunch of juniors and seniors recruited by Grant, and was basically handed his best player in an RSCI top-50 power forward who is both highly motivated and in his 5th year of eligibility (Skeen). That's a pretty nice setup.

RJKarl
03-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Shaka is in a tough spot. Does he take a decent sized offer after this season? Or does have the confidence that he can deliver another good season next year and a get a
$2M/year deal.

KidA23
03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I guess it all depends on what kinds of offers he gets. A place like Georgia Tech, NC State, or Tennessee, and I'd think he'd have to strongly consider jumping now. He may take a look at his roster and conclude that the time to strike is now.

What jobs might realistically open after next season? In the ACC, Miami is really the only one I can think of. (Unless Bzdelik leaves on his own to take an NBA gig following another 20-loss season, which I do think is a plausible if not unlikely possibility.)

Deacsfan27
03-19-2011, 01:30 PM
If State is gonna offer 2-3 million dollars, it would be tremendously difficult not to jump ship. VCU isn't his alma mater, so he doesn't have outstanding loyalty to it.

RJKarl
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM
If State offers him $2-3M, I feel sorry for Shaka. He'd get rich, but his career might be over. They seem to be a place for bad coaches.

Deacsfan27
03-19-2011, 01:37 PM
It's only a matter of time before State hits the jackpot with a new head coach.

RJKarl
03-19-2011, 01:41 PM
You sound like the guy at the track who keeps betting a horse that closes a ton to come in 2rd or 3rd in about five straight races. That horse is due. He's gonna win.

The only decent coach they've had in thirty years was Valvano and he cheated his ass off to win.

IAppreciateIt
03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Shaka is in a tough spot. Does he take a decent sized offer after this season? Or does have the confidence that he can deliver another good season next year and a get a
$2M/year deal.

He can't deliver another good season next year. Not with the talent they are losing. But you'd hope the people making the decisions would be smart enough for judging him for his coaching, not on the talent of the players.

tintinisahottie
03-19-2011, 02:05 PM
That makes it sound like we've had a lot RJ. We've had 3 since Valvano. Les Robinson, who was basically there to make sure we got in zero trouble. Winning hardly factored into his job description. Then Herb, who got us into 5 straight tourneys after 5 really bad seasons. Look at his record now, hardly a great coach. He's the definition of mediocre and he was still able to have some success here. I think that should tell you something about how impossible the State job really is. Then we hired the worst coach in NBA history because he was an alum and our AD was retarded.

And, we gave all those guys at least 5 years. It's not like we go through coaches like crazy as a fanbase. The terrible fans thing is way overstated. They're everywhere. A lot of UNC fans wanted Roy gone at the beginning of this year for God's sake.

Jeff Bzdelik
03-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Then we hired the worst coach in NBA history

sure about that?

BobStackFan4Life
03-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I think he's going to be a good coach. Hover, he's a guy I'd wait a year to see. I'd like to see how he does with a younger team and one with more of his own guys on it.

I would love if he is still available a year from now as I think there is a good chance we will be looking for a new coach and I'm confident he will end up being a great one. However, I think someone else is going to hire him. :tear:

ellisat2
03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Tennessee should consider Pastner. Only hesitation is that he learned from Calipari, so thats not a good sign for his ethics.

marquee moon
03-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Is State looking at him?

KidA23
03-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Think I'd rather have the Memphis job than the UT job. Calipari really set that place up. Pastner has done gangbusters in recruiting in a very short time, with virtually no restrictions of any kind. Don't see any reason why he can't win 25+ games a year in the awful C-USA without breaking a sweat. Also, the committee has shown that it's willing to give Memphis--a high-major program in a mid-major conference--really high seeds when their overall record and RPI so commands.

ellisat2
03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Think I'd rather have the Memphis job than the UT job. Calipari really set that place up. Pastner has done gangbusters in recruiting in a very short time, with virtually no restrictions of any kind. Don't see any reason why he can't win 25+ games a year in the awful C-USA without breaking a sweat. Also, the committee has shown that it's willing to give Memphis--a high-major program in a mid-major conference--really high seeds when their overall record and RPI so commands.

They play at FedEx, too. I agree that the Memphis job is a good one. As a Tennessee resident, I'm not sure in bball which is a better job.

KidA23
03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
They play at FedEx, too. I agree that the Memphis job is a good one. As a Tennessee resident, I'm not sure in bball which is a better job.
Yea, good point about FedEx. Plus it seems like ESPN always reserves a fair number of November / December telecasts for Memphis's inevitable OOC matchups with other top programs. As long as Pastner recruits well enough to stay relevant and, in turn, continues to schedule OOC games with other top programs, Memphis will continue to get lots of exposure.

I think I might even prefer the Vandy job to UT if I'm ranking head coaching gigs in Tennessee. At least Vandy offers a unique product for kids looking at SEC schools. Plus they've got that weird-ass court and cool colors.

ellisat2
03-19-2011, 03:01 PM
That sunken court is weird. But there's no way if you're in Tennessee that you rank Vandy above Tennessee. The support for UT in this state is astounding. Even though most people put football above bball, that alone makes it in the top 2, if not 1.

Bronson Pinchot
03-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Bump?

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
And I've started multiple threads and made dozens of postings saying he's #1 on my list today. what's your point?

Bronson Pinchot
03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
No point being made, rj, not calling you out. Some very smart posters agreed with you back then. Great to see how he has surpassed everyone's expectations since this point 2 years ago. Go get him, Ron!

TBR
03-15-2013, 02:37 PM
He can't deliver another good season next year. Not with the talent they are losing. But you'd hope the people making the decisions would be smart enough for judging him for his coaching, not on the talent of the players.

And they ended up winning 29 games, including the CAA championship and a NCAAT game (and only narrowly missed out on the Sweet 16 in a good game against Wichita State).

I think Shaka really validated his coaching ability that season, even if though it wasn't their Final 4 season.

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Well maybe I should change the title of the thread to something like "A prayer to the basketball gods."

Let us pray to the gods of the courts that no one hires Shaka away in the next 6-8 weeks. So that he may still be available after next season.

Please gods of basketball, keep Shaka in Richmond for one more year. We'll be good.

Shorty
03-15-2013, 02:46 PM
If State is gonna offer 2-3 million dollars, it would be tremendously difficult not to jump ship. VCU isn't his alma mater, so he doesn't have outstanding loyalty to it.

Not gonna happen. Shaka wants a smaller school for his next step.

IAppreciateIt
03-15-2013, 02:47 PM
And they ended up winning 29 games, including the CAA championship and a NCAAT game (and only narrowly missed out on the Sweet 16 in a good game against Wichita State).

I think Shaka really validated his coaching ability that season, even if though it wasn't their Final 4 season.

Seriously, they lost four starters and got BETTER in kenpom.

Bronson Pinchot
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Boogity is still not convinced.

88Deac
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't think Shaka is going anywhere. But we NEED to take our shot as soon as their season is over. We won't be alone. But I still think he is staying at VCU. He's built it and loves it in Richmond and the whole situation. But we have to try.

djev336
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Spot on.. But this is old news. Glad it was brought up again though.

Bronson Pinchot
03-15-2013, 03:27 PM

WUT

djev336
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Dude might be a great coach but damn he lucked into a great situation. Takes over Grant's team and gets the benefit of Skeen having a great senior season. If I'm him I jump at an opportunity to upgrade to the big leagues now if it comes.

For what its worth.. The A10 is a good league this year. 4 teams in the dance (slu, butler, vcu, temple) with maybe a 5th in Lasalle. The A10 is on shaky ground with the pretty much expected loss of Butler & Xavier and questions circling around about VCU being considered for the next wave of expansion by the Catholic 7 Big East. If Shaka waits out the conference realignment stuff at VCU, he may just end up in a big league without having to change schools.

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 03:44 PM
And three of those four teams are leaving the A -10. Only VCU will still be there.

djev336
03-15-2013, 03:44 PM
WUT

copied from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_Smart#Coaching_career

VCU hired Smart to be the head coach in the spring of 2009 after the previous coach, Anthony Grant, left to become the head coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide men's basketball team. Smart's hire made him the 10th-youngest head coach in Division I. In his first season, he led the Rams to a 27–10 season and a CBI Championship after VCU swept Saint Louis in the championship best-of-three series.[7]
Smart's second season began with forward Larry Sanders declaring for the 2010 NBA Draft after his junior season. Sanders' selection by the Milwaukee Bucks with the 15th pick made VCU the first school in the Commonwealth of Virginia to have a player selected in the first round of the NBA Draft in consecutive years, as the Utah Jazz had selected guard Eric Maynor with the 20th pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. The Rams under Smart went 23–11 in the 2010–2011 season. Smart led the Rams to their second consecutive Colonial Athletic Association Championship Game, where they lost to Old Dominion.
Despite not securing the automatic bid, VCU earned an at-large bid to the Southwest region of the 2011 NCAA Tournament, but were placed in the "First Four" against USC for a spot in the main 64-team tournament bracket. The Rams' selection into the tournament was widely criticized. His coaching strategy, positive outlook, and patience helped VCU defeat USC in the First Four, and then upset the 6th-seeded Georgetown Hoyas and 3rd-seeded Purdue Boilermakers to advance to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in school history. VCU won 72–71 against Florida State University in overtime to earn the school's first spot in the Elite Eight and subsequently upset the top-seeded University of Kansas 71–61 for its first Final Four appearance. But in the Final Four, the Rams lost to Butler 70-62.
On April 4, 2011, Smart agreed to an 8-year contract extension with the VCU Rams, increasing his base pay from $350,000 to $1.2 million per year, prior to any performance bonuses.[8][9]

In other words, Grant left Shaka a nice team.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
St. Louis is in the convo for Catholic 7 I believe.

djev336
03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
And three of those four teams are leaving the A -10. Only VCU will still be there.

Yepp..

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 03:56 PM

They are in with Butler, Creighton and Xavier. The last team is most likely Dayton (another A-10). Temple is going to the BE football conference.

VCU's bball future is very limited.

PhDeac
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM

Private Jesuit school. Makes sense.

VCU does not.

djev336
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM

they have been, but not in the news that came out today.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-depaul-catholic-7-20130315,0,7897661.story

It might very well happen if the catholic 7 big east expands past 10.

DownEastDeac
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I honestly don't know, but is VCU a good academic school with fairly stringent entrance requirements for athletes? Shaka recruits a fairly specific type of player to run his HAVOC defense, and if he has to deal with "a puddle" of guys who can get in Wake (to quote Grobe) and that puddle is even smaller when reduced to those who have the athletic abilty to run his schemes, then he may figure it's easier to recruit those guys at VCU than Wake.

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
they have been, but not in the news that came out today.

It might very well happen if the catholic 7 big east expands past 10.

They will be at twelve. Doing so escalates the Fox Sports deal to $500,000,000.

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Another interesting read on VCU's future and what Georgetown may have to say about it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130315/georgetown-catholic-seven-tension/

deaconson
03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
i am confident that 1 - shaka could find recruits to work in his system 2 - shaka would use his system and tweak it to the kids he brings in 3 - shaka might have a limited number of recruits that could run his current havoc defense but he would also have access to much more talent being in the acc so things would work out fine.

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

yep. it will be interesting to see who those additional teams may be. assuming SLU & Dayton leave, the A10 could be left with:

VCU
La Salle
Massachusetts
Charlotte
Saint Joseph's
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
George Washington
Rhode Island
Fordham
Duquesne

Ouch..

Bears and Deacs
03-15-2013, 04:12 PM

The post you quoted was from 2011....it wasn't brought up again. As was the second one that you quoted. I think it's been proven that he is a good coach.

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM

they are already at 500 million with the 10 team league. adding 2 could make the deal worth 600 million

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/sports/ncaabasketball/fox-sports-and-new-big-east-are-teaming-up.html?_r=0

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
The post you quoted was from 2011....it wasn't brought up again. As was the second one that you quoted. I think it's been proven that he is a good coach.

haha. so we agree. :thumbsup:

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
It looks like they changed it. Earlier they said 12=$500, but you are correct now.

Creighton won't confirm it until after The Dance. Dayton helps them more than VCU. It brings in more rivalries with X and Butler.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
VCU AIN'T CATHOLIC.

Bringing in VCU represents a major ideological shift.

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
so.. with what is happening to the A10 and it seemingly appearing that Georgetown may have reasons to prevent VCU from joining the Catholic 7, and assuming that the A10 doesn't strengthen, Shaka may be in a less desirable coaching situation. the question is, what does Shaka do if this happens? does he roll with it and stick with VCU, or does the demise of the current A10 force his hand to switching schools in 2 or 3 years?

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:32 PM
It looks like they changed it. Earlier they said 12=$500, but you are correct now.

Creighton won't confirm it until after The Dance. Dayton helps them more than VCU. It brings in more rivalries with X and Butler.

yeah. the case is strong for dayton. (catholic school too) and following the religious/private theme SLU makes sense too since its Jesuit/Private

basically it seems like the catholic 7 big east ends up being a completely private school league and VCU is stuck in the A10. the A10 could add schools like Belmont, Detroit, or Murray State though..

Henry Chinaski
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Random q: is the a10 possibly better than the acc this year? Prob not at the top, but depth wise...?

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
so.. with what is happening to the A10 and it seemingly appearing that Georgetown may have reasons to prevent VCU from joining the Catholic 7, and assuming that the A10 doesn't strengthen, Shaka may be in a less desirable coaching situation. the question is, what does Shaka do if this happens? does he roll with it and stick with VCU, or does the demise of the current A10 force his hand to switching schools in 2 or 3 years?

Why 2-3 years? These changes are in effect less than a calendar year from now.

buckets
03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Random q: is the a10 possibly better than the acc this year? Prob not at the top, but depth wise...?

the mountain west was definitely better than the acc this year

sbpack
03-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Shaka is patiently waiting for a bigger program than Wake. Not sure who that may be.

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
in other words.. the A10 has limited expansion options and 2 to the 3 years down the road and VCU/Shaka may be stuck in a suspect league.. Hmm...!!??

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
They'll be stuck in a suspect league in13-14.

Offer him the Mag Quad tomorrow. What harm is there?

djev336
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

WFUtoUSC
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Shaka is patiently waiting for a bigger program than Wake. Not sure who that may be.

I had a nightmare recently that Roy Williams and K both retired the same year. They were replaced by Shaka and Brad Stevens, respectively. It was the basketball apocalypse. I woke up in a cold sweat.

tiltdeac
03-15-2013, 04:59 PM
What big job is going to be open in the next 2 years though? UCLA? I doubt he would want to wallow in a terrible league for too long.

Say Hey Deac
03-15-2013, 05:12 PM
I had a nightmare recently that Roy Williams and K both retired the same year. They were replaced by Shaka and Brad Stevens, respectively. It was the basketball apocalypse. I woke up in a cold sweat.

I fully expect Stevens to end up at Duke. Shaka to UNC may simply depend on whether UNC is ready to take it "outside the family." If he's still at VCU when UNC opens, look out.

thedeacfan
03-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Dan Collins is BuzzOUT and ShakaIN -
"If it were my call, I'd go as hard as I could after Shaka Smart and hope that the tenuous state of the Atlantic 10 might pry him away from VCU."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/my_take_on_wake/article_3b73d460-8da5-11e2-8993-001a4bcf6878.html

deaconguy08
03-15-2013, 05:26 PM
"Shaka Smart Wake Forest" is the #1 Google result for his name

djev336
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Why 2-3 years? These changes are in effect less than a calendar year from now.

because Bz is said to be back next year and has Mitchell (i don't think the coach matters with him) coming in for 14-15.. college coaches recruit at least 2-3 years in advance and Shaka may have good teams until those recruits run dry because of a potentially weak A10. right now Shaka has a competitive team and with the way things are looking should have good players going ahead for 2-3 years as well... that was the thought process. i should've added that in the post.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 05:31 PM

This post is worthless without a screen shot.

tbird
03-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Country wrote: "What I don't plan to do is peddle the future of Wake Forest. I'll do that for two seasons, but not three. That is, however, what Wellman and Bzdelik will almost certainly do if what I'm hearing turns out to be true."

My friend you just hit the ball out of the park with the bases loaded. I and many others appreciate your candidness and honesty given the current situation. Thanks!!!

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM
because Bz is said to be back next year and has Mitchell (i don't think the coach matters with him) coming in for 14-15.. college coaches recruit at least 2-3 years in advance and Shaka may have good teams until those recruits run dry because of a potentially shaky A10. right now Shaka has a competitive team and with the way things are looking should have good players going ahead for 2-3 years as well... that was the thought process. i should've added that in the post.

Bz is said to be back by some. He is also said to be gone by others.

djev336
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM

haha.. and will keep being that with the people on the board checking it to see for themselves.

djev336
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM

i think im going to lean with Dan Collins and David Glenn on this one.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
i think im going to lean with Dan Collins and David Glenn on this one.

Why? Who do you think their sources are?

TwentyONE
03-15-2013, 05:38 PM
WAKE UP THE SPACE!!!!!!!!!!111!1!!11

djev336
03-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Why? Who do you think their sources are?

have no clue. but generally media professionals tend to get things right before they report it. with that said, they can get things wrong, or things may change.

buckets
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM

ummm its actually "Shaka Smart UCLA"

................. look out

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 05:47 PM
have no clue. but generally media professionals tend to get things right before they report it. with that said, they can get things wrong, or things may change.

Bullshit. That's what you don't get about the new media. David Glenn is banking on the fact that people won't remember what he's said if he's wrong, but he'll remind listeners what he said if he turns out to be right. He's guessing. Do you honestly think his sources are Wellman, higher, or on the BOT? Meanwhile, you discount people (Rangers/tsy/numbers) who do have those connections simply because their medium is less conventional.

But yes, as you said, you have no clue. You're just assuming. You assume that, because the guy has a radio slot, that he's right. Solid critical thinking skills there.

Turd Ferguson
03-15-2013, 05:50 PM
$$$ is all it takes. If Shaka can be this successful at VCU, he can definitely be successful at Wake. We were competitive with the big boys in the 90s and 2000s and have shown we can recruit talent. We are a great coach away from being a final four team, just like about every program out there. We come with the added benefit of playing against storied programs and in arguably the best conference with the new additions. I think this would be the perfect time to pick up a Shaka or someone else looking to move into the big time.

But we have to be willing to throw some cash out there, and to commit to making basketball a priority. This is a no-brainer as it is our flagship sport.

djev336
03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Bullshit. That's what you don't get about the new media. David Glenn is banking on the fact that people won't remember what he's said if he's wrong, but he'll remind listeners what he said if he turns out to be right. He's guessing. Do you honestly think his sources are Wellman, higher, or on the BOT? Meanwhile, you discount people (Rangers/tsy/numbers) who do have those connections simply because their medium is less conventional.

But yes, as you said, you have no clue. You're just assuming. You assume that, because the guy has a radio slot, that he's right. Solid critical thinking skills there.

lol. so u wanted to pick a fight. nice internet message board bravado skills. wanna bet on this?

BabyDeac75
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Bz will be back next year.

buckets
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

:(

4serious?

Wakeforest22890
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

Rough. Also, I saw my name popped up in terms of me having connections and all I was doing was repeating what I'd heard from others. I don't know anything about the BOT's decisions or Bzdelik or anything. I can't even name one person on the BOT.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
lol. so u wanted to pick a fight. nice internet message board bravado skills. wanna bet on this?

I don't have any interest in picking a fight, and i dont bet on things I have no control over. And you have no control over it either. It's your speculation against mine.

I'm not interested in bring right. I'm interested in not being a mindless lemming, which you're being if you automatically believe David Glenn over people who have a track record in being well connected over here, simply because DG has a radio show. You admitted to not having a clue as to his sources; you just believe him because he has a name on the radio.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But again I ask you: who do you speculate DG's sources are, and why do you automatically assume they are more credible than people here?

djev336
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
I don't have any interest in picking a fight, and i dont bet on things I have no control over. And you have no control over it either. It's your speculation against mine.

I'm not interested in bring right. I'm interested in not being a mindless lemming, which you're being if you automatically believe David Glenn over people who have a track record in being well connected over here, simply because DG has a radio show. You admitted to not having a clue as to his sources; you just believe him because he has a name on the radio.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But again I ask you: who do you speculate DG's sources are, and why do you automatically assume they are more credible than people here?

i actually trust Dan Collins.. DG was just a throw in.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM

FUCK.

Care to expand?

ACCOffice
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Rough. Also, I saw my name popped up in terms of me having connections and all I was doing was repeating what I'd heard from others. I don't know anything about the BOT's decisions or Bzdelik or anything. I can't even name one person on the BOT.

Very rare to see a poster disavow having sources. I respect that.

CHillDeac
03-15-2013, 06:37 PM
VCU AIN'T CATHOLIC.

Bringing in VCU represents a major ideological shift.

Butler ain't Catholic either.

Bronson Pinchot
03-15-2013, 06:39 PM

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

Lohengrin
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
To get Shaka Smart, or someone of his caliber, I feel it will be essential to get rid of Wellman first. I really don't think good coaches will want to work in the authoritarian regime Wellman has erected, and his [bad] reputation among the coaching fraternity began growing with his treatment of Dino and has only gotten worse. Second, I don't believe Wellman will permit a "brighter star" to be hired at Wake who might diminish his own power. He prefers pliable losers like Buzz who will toe his line. Dino balked and was promptly fired. Wellman has NEVER made a big name hire, and it won't begin now.

deaconson
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
To get Shaka Smart, or someone of his caliber, I feel it will be essential to get rid of Wellman first. I really don't think good coaches will want to work in the authoritarian regime Wellman has erected, and his [bad] reputation among the coaching fraternity began growing with his treatment of Dino and has only gotten worse. Second, I don't believe Wellman will permit a "brighter star" to be hired at Wake who might diminish his own power. He prefers pliable losers like Buzz who will toe his line. Dino balked and was promptly fired. Wellman has NEVER made a big name hire, and it won't begin now.

This is so true and has me really depressed. I might need to take a break from the boards till we know for sure.

TheReff
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
$$$ is all it takes. If Shaka can be this successful at VCU, he can definitely be successful at Wake. We were competitive with the big boys in the 90s and 2000s and have shown we can recruit talent. We are a great coach away from being a final four team, just like about every program out there. We come with the added benefit of playing against storied programs and in arguably the best conference with the new additions. I think this would be the perfect time to pick up a Shaka or someone else looking to move into the big time.

But we have to be willing to throw some cash out there, and to commit to making basketball a priority. This is a no-brainer as it is our flagship sport.

NC State was throwing $$$ at him last year and he didn't leave. Their job is much better than ours just with what he can get in school and more importantly, get thru school. Plus he can get the occasional juco if he needs it. We closed that off when the Faculty got pissed at Greer & baseball over the Hooks Field lights issue. Since they closed that off, baseball hasn't been worth squat. Oh yea & Wellman fired a 3 time ACC title winner for no reason.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah I'm sure Shaka or whoever is going to base their decision on the George Greer saga.

Turd Ferguson
03-15-2013, 08:16 PM
NC State was throwing $$$ at him last year and he didn't leave. Their job is much better than ours just with what he can get in school and more importantly, get thru school. Plus he can get the occasional juco if he needs it. We closed that off when the Faculty got pissed at Greer & baseball over the Hooks Field lights issue. Since they closed that off, baseball hasn't been worth squat. Oh yea & Wellman fired a 3 time ACC title winner for no reason.

I'm also wellman out. Get a new ad and let him take a briefcase of cash when he goes to talk to shaka.

RangersboysWFBB
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM

Me 2. I literally just parroted what I was told via hearsay and said as much. it made me excited and I shared it. Im not an insider and definitely not trolling anybody. Quite frankly though Im discouraged because I believe Dan does know insiders and his hearsay may be more credible than ours.

tvcigar
03-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't listen to David Glenn, so I wouldn't know to trust him or not. BUT everything I've heard leads me to believe that Coach Bzdelik is back next year. I'm just a lowly tv news photog, but I do listen to the rumblings, and I've asked people who I believe to be "in the know" and they lead me to believe that Wellman and the administration want him back. I have no idea what is going on in Bzdelik's head though.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Our boi is about to advance to the A10 semis.

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
DAMMIT THE SHAKA VCU AD IS ON AGAIN!!!!!! WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME COMCAST SPORTS NET???

tvcigar
03-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Pisses me the fuck off that I can't watch my VCU Rams in North Carolina. Go Shaka! HAVOC!!!!!!!

TheReff
03-15-2013, 08:35 PM

This just in. Wake Forest ain't Baptist anymore either.

Wakefan77
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I don't listen to David Glenn, so I wouldn't know to trust him or not. BUT everything I've heard leads me to believe that Coach Bzdelik is back next year. I'm just a lowly tv news photog, but I do listen to the rumblings, and I've asked people who I believe to be "in the know" and they lead me to believe that Wellman and the administration want him back. I have no idea what is going on in Bzdelik's head though.

http://i46.tinypic.com/14x1err.jpg

RJKarl
03-15-2013, 08:42 PM

As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. Shaka understands he's in the driver's seat.

Just like when IL threw $10M at him. State is not then type of school he wants to move to at this time in his career.

You need to get past that you are the only person in Skip's entire life that he didn't like.

You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you.

qcdeac
03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
You need to get past that you are the only person in Skip's entire life that he didn't like.

You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you.

Damn.

TheReff
03-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah I'm sure Shaka or whoever is going to base their decision on the George Greer saga.

It is not the George Greer saga I am talking about, it is the lack of being able to get in who you need to win at Wake and it started long ago when we screwed ourselves when McCloskey was our coach and we cast the deciding vote to not take jucos in the ACC unless they had the qualifying 800 SAT coming out of high school. That cost us Artis Gilmore, who then led Jacksonville to the Final Four instead of us with Charlie davis & Gil McGregor.

We did it again to ourselves in the early 2000's with Greer & baseball & it stemmed over the Faculty & the Hook's Field lights where the faculty got their panties in a wad. Wrote to California and got the juco curriculum & books and decided it didn't meet our supposed standards [even though the kids Grer was bringing in didn't cause any trouble and were graduating within the same % as our regular student body]. So it has caused Grobe to not be able to fill in any holes, basketball to get any nor baseball.

The last good basketball juco might have been Sean Allen. But we are our own worst enemy when it comes to athletics. We don't want one & dones so we don't get immediate ACC caliber basketball players. We want good citizens, as do all programs, but ours have to also put their shoes on correctly and be able to tie their shoes so they look good. We want kids who go to class, as do all programs but we want ours to be ACC caliber athletes who are also 1200 SAT. We want Notre Dame culture by recruiting our student body from all 50 states, Europe & China [and now only 19.5% North Carolina] and we want Stanford-like athletics. Wow. That is tough. But we have gotten rid of the weeds so let the garden grow.

Turd Ferguson
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
How many jucos play at unc duke or ncsu?

VaDeac
03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
It is not the George Greer saga I am talking about, it is the lack of being able to get in who you need to win at Wake and it started long ago when we screwed ourselves when McCloskey was our coach and we cast the deciding vote to not take jucos in the ACC unless they had the qualifying 800 SAT coming out of high school. That cost us Artis Gilmore, who then led Jacksonville to the Final Four instead of us with Charlie davis & Gil McGregor.

We did it again to ourselves in the early 2000's with Greer & baseball & it stemmed over the Faculty & the Hook's Field lights where the faculty got their panties in a wad. Wrote to California and got the juco curriculum & books and decided it didn't meet our supposed standards [even though the kids Grer was bringing in didn't cause any trouble and were graduating within the same % as our regular student body]. So it has caused Grobe to not be able to fill in any holes, basketball to get any nor baseball.

The last good basketball juco might have been Sean Allen. But we are our own worst enemy when it comes to athletics. We don't want one & dones so we don't get immediate ACC caliber basketball players. We want good citizens, as do all programs, but ours have to also put their shoes on correctly and be able to tie their shoes so they look good. We want kids who go to class, as do all programs but we want ours to be ACC caliber athletes who are also 1200 SAT. We want Notre Dame culture by recruiting our student body from all 50 states, Europe & China [and now only 19.5% North Carolina] and we want Stanford-like athletics. Wow. That is tough. But we have gotten rid of the weeds so let the garden grow.

That's all well and good. Do you realize how little of it has to do with Bz?

RacerDeac
03-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Someday maybe you'll realize it's you.

LOL

93Deac
03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
It is amazing how RJ can read the minds of those in the public spotlight, yet is completely oblivious regarding his own behavior.

RJKarl
03-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not reading anyone's mind.

DeacHead
03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
This just in. Wake Forest ain't Baptist anymore either.

Where is Non sequitur Deac when you need him?

tvcigar
03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike Lee is wearing a VCU shirt today. He is Shaka-in.

IckerDeac
03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
The sentiment in Madison is that Shaka will eventually take the UW job when Ryan retires. I dunno if Shaka will stay at VCU that long (perhaps 3 more years), but that would be an interesting shift in styles.

TBR
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
The sentiment in Madison is that Shaka will eventually take the UW job when Ryan retires. I dunno if Shaka will stay at VCU that long (perhaps 3 more years), but that would be an interesting shift in styles.

Does Shaka have some connection to Madison that I don't know about? Because otherwise I don't know why they would think they were in the running when he already turned down Illinois, which seems like a pretty similar job.

ETA: I see that he grew up there.

RJKarl
03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
That would mean Shaka waiting 3-7 years at VCU. I don't see him being there that long.

Sgt Hulka
03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
"You acted like an asshole and the person who loved everyone couldn't stand you. Someday maybe you'll realize it's you."

unbelievable!

When are you leaving???

Liquid Karma
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
As usual you have no clue what you are talking about. Shaka understands he's in the driver's seat.

Just like when IL threw $10M at him. State is not then type of school he wants to move to at this time in his career.

It really has been cute watching you scramble to present yourself as some sort of insider on all things related to the WFU basketball coaching position. Once you realized that everyone was laughing at your stupid toilet and petition ideas, you immediately started badmouthing all the work VTWhat and the Strattons put in. You've gone on an email crusade to convince everyone that the decision has already been made and they need to listen to you. You're acting like the clearing house of all info related to Shaka Smart.

You're clearly desperate to become part of the story, instead of just being a passionate observer. Cute. Maybe someday you'll get the recognition only you clearly feel you deserve. Until then, we should all hide our toilets.

IckerDeac
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
I doubt Ryan will be there 7 more years. My feeling is he sees Dekker graduate and then calls it a career. Perhaps with Koenig at the PG and Dekker as the man, UW is in a position for a NC in that time frame. Shaka takes over from a legend in his home town...I can see it happening if he does go anywhere else in the next 2 years.

'15 Deac
03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
I posted this in the ACCT thread, but I wanted to reiterate, Shaka Smart and VCU just put on a ridiculous comeback to get back in the A-10 Championship game. Scored like 12 straight points with maybe one field goal attempt from St. Louis by running a trap defense and forcing turnovers. That's straight coaching. If he gets hired by another school, I'll lose it.

VaDeac
03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
I'd take Crews or Smart. Or Stevens. He'll, I'd take any of their assistants. Or their grandmas. Or their assistants' grandmas.

TBR
03-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I would not take Crews. Let's not get distracted by what he's done with a team built by someone else (e.g. Bzdelik and Air Force). Prior to this season he had 9 straight losing seasons and got fired twice. Shaka has never won less than 26 games in a season, Crews has only won more than 26 games once, this year, after taking over a roster put together by one of the best coaches out there (a Al Mcguire protege).

He would be Bzdelik 2.0.

deacfreke2
03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
He is still going to lose....again....to a former Bob Knight player & assistant. (Just like your other poster boy Brad Stevens did this year.....3 times.)

Maybe WF should try to get Jim Crews.....

SLU 5 - Stevens/Shaka 0. Well done Billikens!!!

'15 Deac
03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
He is still going to lose....again....to a former Bob Knight player & assistant. (Just like your other poster boy Brad Stevens did this year.....3 times.)

Maybe WF should try to get Jim Crews.....

Brad Stevens has never been my poster boy. And #16 St. Louis is a pretty good team.

Shaka Smart is the second youngest coach to win 100 games, has demonstrated postseason success and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets VCU to another Sweet Sixteen this year, depending on their seeding. This is the type of demonstrated success that justifies hiring a coach, unlike Bzdelik's resume. I see a lot of promise in Smart and think he will continue to be a great college basketball coach and will eventually be hired by a major program and will probably be successful there. It would be a shame if that school isn't Wake Forest and another school hires him before we stop pretending Bzdelik is a legit coach.

Wakeforest22890
03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
There's going to be absolute carnage between the 4, 5, and 6 lines this year. The 11-13 seeds are going to be possibly stronger than they have EVER been. I wouldn't be surprised to see half of the 4-6 seeds go down on day one. I feel bad for 4 seeds who catch Valpo or Belmont in round one.

deacfreke2
03-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I know that Rick Majerus is up there somewhere, looking down and smiling.

I'd love to see St Louis get a #4 seed in a region with a #1 Gonzaga.

And SLU does it the right way. High character kids who bought into the culture, more concerned about the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back.

VaDeac
03-17-2013, 03:42 PM
All kinds of stereotypes being played out on this thread.

I will say that the SLU/VCU game did resurrect my only concern about Shaka, which is half court offense. I'm sure with access to better talent that's something that will improve.

Wakeforest22890
03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
17th best offense in the country, I'll definitely take those concerns.

VaDeac
03-17-2013, 03:46 PM
17th best offense in the country, I'll definitely take those concerns.

True but how much of that is a direct result of defense? I don't know but I'd guess its more than most teams. Today, VCU found a ream that did pretty well against the press for the most part (at least the parts of the game I saw), got sucked into a half court game and didn't get to 60.

VaDeac
03-17-2013, 03:47 PM
BKF, you're not calling VCU an NBA prep team, are you? You're smarter than that.

Wakeforest22890
03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
True but how much of that is a direct result of defense? I don't know but I'd guess its more than most teams. Today, VCU found a ream that did pretty well against the press for the most part (at least the parts of the game I saw), got sucked into a half court game and didn't get to 60.

Good point. When they can force turnovers they are extremely successful and when they can't they're just not as good. They lead the nation in TO% defense (28%)

VaDeac
03-17-2013, 03:50 PM
C'mon guy. Read my post again!

Ah, missed your second set of ( ). My B. Still an odd thing to say since that didn't happen today, or yesterday.

TBR
03-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Maybe he just got outcoached today, wadduya think?

If losing means you got outcoached then Jim Crews has a lot of experience getting outcoached.

Wakeforest22890
03-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I have no idea BKF I didn't see the game today I was watching Miami-UNC instead.

88Deac
03-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Brad Stevens has never been my poster boy. And #16 St. Louis is a pretty good team.

Shaka Smart is the second youngest coach to win 100 games, has demonstrated postseason success and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets VCU to another Sweet Sixteen this year, depending on their seeding. This is the type of demonstrated success that justifies hiring a coach, unlike Bzdelik's resume. I see a lot of promise in Smart and think he will continue to be a great college basketball coach and will eventually be hired by a major program and will probably be successful there. It would be a shame if that school isn't Wake Forest and another school hires him before we stop pretending Bzdelik is a legit coach.

I don't really have a problem with this post, per se, but Shaka is just about every AD's dream coach right now, but he keeps turning everyone down. Illinois, NC State were very public, but VT apparently made a run at him and he apparently told them no without even speaking with them. The joke one cnnsi writer said last year after the NCAA was that Shaka turns down more jobs per day than most people have cups of coffee. They were under the impression a lot of schools have contacted him to inquire, only to be turned down before going any further.

So, the only thing I would say is that Shaka obviously really likes VCU and Richmond, and he certainly isn't begging to get to another higher profile school. I don't know what he is looking for, but so far, he has remained adamant he is staying at VCU. I'm not sure I don't believe him. He is on just about everyone's radar outside of Durham, Chapel Hill, Kansas, Gonzaga, Indiana, Florida and a handful of others. I would give it probably less than a 1% he would accept the Wake job if offered. He's already turned down a Big 10 and 2 ACC's that we know of.

daaberry
03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Sounds like Wake won't have a job opening to offer him, but this offseason is very different for Shaka compared to last as the A-10 has quickly become irrelevant with the loss of Temple, Butler, Dayton & possibly St. Louis a year down the road. He is too good to sit around & try to dominate a one bid league. Mark Few seems like the only person content in that situation.

bluefish
03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Sounds like Wake won't have a job opening to offer him, but this offseason is very different for Shaka compared to last as the A-10 has quickly become irrelevant with the loss of Temple, Butler, Dayton & possibly St. Louis a year down the road. He is too good to sit around & try to dominate a one bid league. Mark Few seems like the only person content in that situation.

Interesting that you'd bring up Few. Shaka calls him a friend, and said Few told him this.

As long as you are happy where you are, and your administration supports what you are trying to accomplish, why would you feel the need to go anywhere else?

I'm paraphrasing, but it's close.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Few is in a different position there and his conference isn't falling apart around him.

Strickland33
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
bkf, care to comment on the thorough destruction of Texas Tech's basketball program at the hands of the Knight clan? How about Pat Knight's stellar 3-28 masterpiece at Lamar?

Or, does your critique only get directed at successful young coaches who actually win and bring their teams to the NCAA Tournament?

bluefish
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Few is in a different position there and his conference isn't falling apart around him.

Why is he in a different position?

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Because VCU will be surrounded by much more successful programs. Gonzaga is on an island.

He won't be on TV. His conference is in the toilet. Gonzaga's conference is not great but is not going anywhere.

With the expansion of the ACC and the split of the Big East it will be even tougher for VCU to compete for players and nationally.

deacfreke2
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
bkf, care to comment on the thorough destruction of Texas Tech's basketball program at the hands of the Knight clan? How about Pat Knight's stellar 3-28 masterpiece at Lamar?

Or, does your critique only get directed at successful young coaches who actually win and bring their teams to the NCAA Tournament?

I'll comment on this. First, TTech's program was in the toilet when Knight arrived and he got them competitive for a few years. They're generally pretty lousy anyway.

Little Knight inherited a team full of Seniors who made the NCAA Tourney last year. Cupboard was bare this year. His tenure really starts now as it's up to him to get players.

I'm no Knight fan but facts, while often a disrespected commodity around here, are what they are.

Wakefan77
03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I could see why he would turn down VT especially in his case.

RacerDeac
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm no Knight fan but facts, while often a disrespected commodity around here, are what they are.

LOL...aren't you a Buzzinner?

'15 Deac
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't really have a problem with this post, per se, but Shaka is just about every AD's dream coach right now, but he keeps turning everyone down. Illinois, NC State were very public, but VT apparently made a run at him and he apparently told them no without even speaking with them. The joke one cnnsi writer said last year after the NCAA was that Shaka turns down more jobs per day than most people have cups of coffee. They were under the impression a lot of schools have contacted him to inquire, only to be turned down before going any further.

So, the only thing I would say is that Shaka obviously really likes VCU and Richmond, and he certainly isn't begging to get to another higher profile school. I don't know what he is looking for, but so far, he has remained adamant he is staying at VCU. I'm not sure I don't believe him. He is on just about everyone's radar outside of Durham, Chapel Hill, Kansas, Gonzaga, Indiana, Florida and a handful of others. I would give it probably less than a 1% he would accept the Wake job if offered. He's already turned down a Big 10 and 2 ACC's that we know of.

Right, I mostly agree with you. I'd like our chances at better than 1%, but still not likely. I was trying to make the point that if he ever does decide to leave VCU, which itself seems unlikely, it would be a shame if he didn't come to Wake Forest because our program is still being choked out by Wellman's autocracy and Bzdelik's ineptitude.

That being said, I do think that it is only getting more and more likely that Smart will leave. I think he is a good enough coach and ambitious enough that eventually he will want to jump to a major conference and compete at a higher level, with better players, better coaches, on a national stage. And it doesn't help that the A-10 is falling apart. Illinois and NC State courted him at the wrong time, way too soon after his Final Four success. VT, well, I can understand why he would turn that down. So I think if Wake has a job opening at the time when he is willing to leave, I don't think there is a better school for him to go to. Moving to a major conference and being on Tobacco Road, a much better recruiting base, and a school with a solid history waiting for a good coach to take them to the Final Four and the next level. What other school in need of a coach offers that?

CarlSpackler88
03-18-2013, 01:22 PM
We need to hire Bruiser Flint!!

ACCOffice
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Bob Knight hardly "destroyed" Texas Tech basketball. The program was nothing when he got there. He inherited a team that only had 4 total roster players remaining from a team that had just gone 3-13 in the Big 12.....and won 23 games and took them to the NCAA Tournament in his first year.

Bob Knight's record speaks for itself. I don't have to defend it to you...or anyone else. He is the greatest college basketball coach who ever lived.

One of the great coaching jobs. When he took the job fellow coaches were shocked.

DeacWatcher
03-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Bob Knight hardly "destroyed" Texas Tech basketball. The program was nothing when he got there. He inherited a team that only had 4 total roster players remaining from a team that had just gone 3-13 in the Big 12.....and won 23 games and took them to the NCAA Tournament in his first year.

Bob Knight's record speaks for itself. I don't have to defend it to you...or anyone else. He is the greatest college basketball coach who ever lived.

2001–2002 Texas Tech 23–9 10–6 T–3rd NCAA First Round
2002–2003 Texas Tech 22–13 6–10 T–7th NIT Semifinals
2003–2004 Texas Tech 23–11 9–7 T–5th NCAA Second Round
2004–2005 Texas Tech 22–11 10–6 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–2006 Texas Tech 15–17 6–10 T–7th —
2006–2007 Texas Tech 21–13 9–7 5th NCAA First Round
2007–2008 Texas Tech 12–8* 3–3* T–6th*

I'll agree with this, but Coach K presents a very good argument for greatest coach ever.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 01:35 PM
It's much easier to get into the NCAAT and many of the games are against average or worse teams.

K is a great coach. He's not in wooden's league.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Versus you supporting a guy who chokes players, attacks kids on campus and throws filled vases at the head of a 60+yo woman...

88Deac
03-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Right, I mostly agree with you. I'd like our chances at better than 1%, but still not likely. I was trying to make the point that if he ever does decide to leave VCU, which itself seems unlikely, it would be a shame if he didn't come to Wake Forest because our program is still being choked out by Wellman's autocracy and Bzdelik's ineptitude.

That being said, I do think that it is only getting more and more likely that Smart will leave. I think he is a good enough coach and ambitious enough that eventually he will want to jump to a major conference and compete at a higher level, with better players, better coaches, on a national stage. And it doesn't help that the A-10 is falling apart. Illinois and NC State courted him at the wrong time, way too soon after his Final Four success. VT, well, I can understand why he would turn that down. So I think if Wake has a job opening at the time when he is willing to leave, I don't think there is a better school for him to go to. Moving to a major conference and being on Tobacco Road, a much better recruiting base, and a school with a solid history waiting for a good coach to take them to the Final Four and the next level. What other school in need of a coach offers that?

Good post and good points. Illinois really seemed like it would be a good fit for him if he were inclined to leave. VT and State are cow colleges, and definitely do not fit his persona, though VT has been able to attract much better students in the past decade. But it is still VT, and State is still State.... I see Shaka at a sprawling urban school in a big city. Even if the landscape around VCU were to crumble, they keep winning and Shaka's popularity among high schoolers and AD's will continue to grow. I think he has supreme confidence that he can win anywhere any time, and I don't see him having a problem finding a good job even if VCU's conference affiliation falls apart. I think he wants to build it at VCU and be the man, much like Mark Few is at Gonzaga. The sense of accomplishment would be much greater than taking over at a well-established school. And VCU is already on the national stage. Ranked all year and recruiting is definitely improving.

If there were ever a time, now might be it. And if we could get him, it could be one of those rare hires that changes a program for 15-20 years. We need to cut bait with Bzdelik now, and take our shot at Shaka. We have a 0% if we don't. And 98% chance of a mediocrity ceiling with Bzdelik. And if we don't, we have a 90% of faring the same of better with most anyone we hire, remembering that Bob Staak looked like a good hire, as did Les Robinson and countless others. We HAVE to take our shot now.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Well, you see him in a place people who know him don't.

'15 Deac
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Well, you see him in a place people who know him don't.

You know Shaka Smart? From talking to him, did he say anything to you about the A-10 losing schools? Did he say he sees himself at VCU long-term? Damn, I though we had at least an outside shot...

DeacWatcher
03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I agree with 88 that he is indeed a game changer and would effect us in a positive way for 15-20 years, but I just can't see it happening. If he didn't take the State job, why would he come here instead?

Its all a moot point because we don't and will not have an opening anyway becuase our jackoff AD is in bed with the HC.

morrison2951
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
If we don't have a HC opening, then we'll have lots of openings in the form of empty seats in the Joel.

qcdeac
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
John Wooden ran one of the dirtiest programs this side of UNLV. UCLA should have been put on probation for 10 years. Sam Gilbert was buying players right and left during those championship years.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

Versus you supporting a guy who chokes players, attacks kids on campus and throws filled vases at the head of a 60+yo woman...

:popcorn:

Would you rather have a cheater lead your program or an asshole?

Round 1 goes to bkf.

Note: big fans of both coaches.

'15 Deac
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Good post and good points. Illinois really seemed like it would be a good fit for him if he were inclined to leave. VT and State are cow colleges, and definitely do not fit his persona, though VT has been able to attract much better students in the past decade. But it is still VT, and State is still State.... I see Shaka at a sprawling urban school in a big city. Even if the landscape around VCU were to crumble, they keep winning and Shaka's popularity among high schoolers and AD's will continue to grow. I think he has supreme confidence that he can win anywhere any time, and I don't see him having a problem finding a good job even if VCU's conference affiliation falls apart. I think he wants to build it at VCU and be the man, much like Mark Few is at Gonzaga. The sense of accomplishment would be much greater than taking over at a well-established school. And VCU is already on the national stage. Ranked all year and recruiting is definitely improving.

If there were ever a time, now might be it. And if we could get him, it could be one of those rare hires that changes a program for 15-20 years. We need to cut bait with Bzdelik now, and take our shot at Shaka. We have a 0% if we don't. And 98% chance of a mediocrity ceiling with Bzdelik. And if we don't, we have a 90% of faring the same of better with most anyone we hire, remembering that Bob Staak looked like a good hire, as did Les Robinson and countless others. We HAVE to take our shot now.

At this point I'm just thinking out loud without any real basis, but if I were in the position of a young coach at a successful mid-major with great coach potential and the ability to move up, I would. I recognize the success that Mark Few has had at Gonzaga, but look at this year. They lost two games and still barely got a number 1 seed. This is still the first time the program has been ranked number 1. That doesn't happen at a major program with a coach that good. You can't achieve the type of success that you can at major programs just because the level of competition isn't the same. I also think that even with as much success as VCU has had, Smart will be hard pressed to improve recruiting on the East Coast to the same level that Mark Few has on the West Coast. He just has more competition for recruits on the East Coast.

I also understand that an ambitious coach would want to build their own success rather than continue the success that someone else established. This is why I will never see Roy Williams as a "great" coach or on the same level as Coach K, because Carolina is the house that Dean Smith built. Roy is just a good enough coach to whip some McDonald's All-Americans into good enough shape that they can focus enough to string together a couple very successful seasons every year or two. I definitely don't see Shaka Smart being an heir to the throne of any blue-blood program. This is another reason why I think Wake could be such a good fit for him. Wake has a strong enough history that it's feasible for the program to achieve and maintain some amount success at the highest level, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Smart would be coming into an established basketball school, but would still be building the program himself.

dc9deac
03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
I see Shaka at a sprawling urban school in a big city.

Yeah, someplace like Oregon, Wisconsin -- or maybe Gambier, Ohio. Or, if we factor in the family, maybe a metropolis like Akron, Ohio.

'15 Deac
03-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I agree with 88 that he is indeed a game changer and would effect us in a positive way for 15-20 years, but I just can't see it happening. If he didn't take the State job, why would he come here instead?

Its all a moot point because we don't and will not have an opening anyway becuase our jackoff AD is in bed with the HC.

State approached him too quickly after his Final Four success because that's when they had an opening at head coach. He had just taken the job at VCU and had found success in his second season, possibly the most success he could have at VCU. He probably envisioned being at VCU longer and being able to build the program into one that competes/wins the A-10 championship every year, consistently goes to the Sweet Sixteen and every now and then making deep runs further into the tournament. I'm not saying he can't achieve this, but the more time he spends in a head coaching role, the more he will understand about college basketball and the coaching scene (I'm not trying to seem like I know more about college basketball than a head coach, I don't know that much, I'm just postulating). One day, he may decide that it's unrealistic for him to have the type of success he wants at a mid-major program. One day, he may get more ambitious and want to win in the strongest basketball conference in the nation. Who knows how his views on what he wants to achieve will change once he realizes his spot in the driver's seat.

But, that suggests an interesting (obviously not a realistic) thought experiment:

If you could,
a) fire Jeff Bzdelik right now and then fare as you will in the coaching search, OR
b) wait until the end of next season, fire Jeff Bzdelik in a year, and know for a fact that Shaka Smart would be our next head coach,

Which would you choose? What if b. was end of year 5? I think the answer has to be b., but the hatred for Bzdelik as HC has become so great for a lot of people that I'd be interested to hear what others think about this. (also, I feel like I might have seen this same thought posted somewhere else, so sorry if Haas)

Maztal
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Coach K has surpassed Knight in every possible way.

Pilchard
03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
At VCU, Smart has a 8 year contract worth $1.36 million/year. I believe Smart also received an attendance bonus because VCU sold out all or almost all of their home games. He likely also received an NCAA tourney bonus. He also has a $800K buy-out. So, if Smart decides to leave VCU for a money grab, the offer will need in the range of $2.5 million a year for at least 5 years (probably longer). Not sure WF has the ability/willingness to offer that type of deal.

Also, I think that the notion that Smart is looking to leave VCU because Xavier, Butler and Temple are leaving the A-10 is little too simplistic. Even with those losses, the A-10 is still at the top (or at least close to the top) of the mid-major conferennces. Without those 3, it will be easier for Smart to keep VCU at the top of the A-10 (by the way, not out of the realm of possibility that VCU gets an invite to the new Big East). So, like Stevens at Butler, Smart can enjoy his comfortable life at VCU and wait for a job to open at power school (Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Cuse, Louisville) rather than take a job like WF where he is taking on a challenge at what is at best the 9th or 10th most attractive program in the conference. If he takes the WF job, Smart is likely eliminated from ever getting the Duke, UNC, Cuse or Louisville jobs because of the conference affliation issues, and if he does not win, he is never getting a job at a power school. History tells anyone looking at the WF basketball program with an impartial eye that winning at WF is hardly lock, and now the ACC is adding Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and ND on top of Duke and UNC. Yipes.

Given all these circumstances, don't see any chance that WF offers the money that it would make Smart consider the WF job, and even if WF does offer that kind of cash, don't see Smart taking it.

The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at a mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 03:50 PM
We would need to offer in excess of$2.75M for 7/8 years (maybe even ten).

Cuse is off the table. It's going to Mike Hopkins.

He's not getting the Duke job. K will want one of his guys to replace him.

Ohio State isn't firing Matta for the next decade. Izzo will pick and assistant.

He didn't like IL or State becasue they were too big and factory like. This eliminates KY and Ville.

qcdeac
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
At VCU, Smart has a 8 year contract worth $1.36 million/year. I believe Smart also received an attendance bonus because VCU sold out all or almost all of their home games. He likely also received an NCAA tourney bonus. He also has a $800K buy-out. So, if Smart decides to leave VCU for a money grab, the offer will need in the range of $2.5 million a year for at least 5 years (probably longer). Not sure WF has the ability/willingness to offer that type of deal.

Also, I think that the notion that Smart is looking to leave VCU because Xavier, Butler and Temple are leaving the A-10 is little too simplistic. Even with those losses, the A-10 is still at the top (or at least close to the top) of the mid-major conferennces. Without those 3, it will be easier for Smart to keep VCU at the top of the A-10 (by the way, not out of the realm of possibility that VCU gets an invite to the new Big East). So, like Stevens at Butler, Smart can enjoy his comfortable life at VCU and wait for a job to open at power school (Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Cuse, Louisville) rather than take a job like WF where he is taking on a challenge at what is at best the 9th or 10th most attractive program in the conference. If he takes the WF job, Smart is likely eliminated from ever getting the Duke, UNC, Cuse or Louisville jobs because of the conference affliation issues, and if he does not win, he is never getting a job at a power school. History tells anyone looking at the WF basketball program with an impartial eye that winning at WF is hardly lock, and now the ACC is adding Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and ND on top of Duke and UNC. Yipes.

Given all these circumstances, don't see any chance that WF offers the money that it would make Smart consider the WF job, and even if WF does offer that kind of cash, don't see Smart taking it.

The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

I am so depressed now.

WFUtoUSC
03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
The focus should be at finding a young charasmatic coach at a mid/low major, and give him the time and resources to build WF into a power program. It can be done. However, I don't see WF being able to bring in an already-made coaching star as it will take the type of cash that WF is not willing to spend, and the down-side of competing against so many power schools in the same conference makes the WF job career suicide for a coach that is on the precipice of getting the best available college jobs.

This makes me think that Alabama's Anthony Grant would be a strong candidate to replace Bz.

BDL
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
It is almost like Coach Knight "birthed" Coach K.

someone with photoshop skills cannot let this pass by

Les Grossman
03-18-2013, 04:12 PM
We would need to offer in excess of$2.75M for 7/8 years (maybe even ten).

Cuse is off the table. It's going to Mike Hopkins.

He's not getting the Duke job. K will want one of his guys to replace him.

Ohio State isn't firing Matta for the next decade. Izzo will pick and assistant.

He didn't like IL or State becasue they were too big and factory like. This eliminates KY and Ville.

What about UCLA?

sailordeac
03-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Hey they probably deserved it.

Knight knows basketball and can coach; and he was a winner. What did they ever do?

WRS
03-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I'd be fine with Grant but he already makes $1.8MM/year.

Pilchard
03-18-2013, 04:19 PM
The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

:rulz:

RacerDeac
03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
The assumption that Smart would be more likely to take the WF job rather than the KY or L'ville job reveals all that is needed to expose the delusion of the Smart to WF notion.

So this thread is premised on the following: Smart will be attracted to the WF job, because when assessing all of the NCAA basketball openings that may arise over the next few years, Smart and his agent will view WF as the best possible option for him. You just can't argue with crazy.

I don't believe we'll fire Bzdelik, and if we did, I don't believe Wellman would make Shaka an offer. That said, your post relies on two faulty assumptions. There's no guarantee that those other options you mention will be open and/or make him an offer. And there's nothing that precludes him from being offered those other jobs in future years should he in theory take a Wake Forest job now.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
What about UCLA?

This is one that's been confusing all year. Before the season Howland was in trouble. When they were losing, he was gone. Then they got hot and he became safer.

They should be very good next year assuming Adams and Anderson return.

They also have an intriguing prospect. They have a walk-on named Adria Gasol. He's 6'10 and from Spain. Yep, those are his brothers. Right now he can't play, but Marc was a late bloomer too.

If UCLA stumbles, Howland could be on the hot seat.

I've said many times UCLA is one of the few big school jobs Shaka would like. You are basically in a village. You don't rally feel like you are in a city.

It's an excellent school and has a great mix of people from all over the world.

With the money they would pay Shaka he could buy a home in the hills over the school above Sunset.

It's one of the great locations for a school in this country.

morrison2951
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Our intentions as a fanbase are admirable here- we've had the absolutely worst bball coach on the planet for the last three years and we want to be compensated for that gross incompetency wih the absolute best bball coach that money can buy!

We can still make this happen but the sooner we have the opening, the better!

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM

First of all neither Pitino nor Calipari are going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I don't expect Shaka to stay at VCU for the next 5-10 years.

No it's crazy to think he'll take a job that won't be open versus one that will.

myDeaconmyhand
03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Louisville may come open this year if Pitino wins it all, but Cal is going to be at UK for 5 more years at least, so Shaka's not getting that job unless he pulls a Mark Few at VCU and stays there.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd be really surprised if Pitino quits after this year or any time soon. He's really competitive and basically has no pressure on him.

He couldn't be in a better place as his racing interests expand.

He's having a blast.

thedeacfan
03-18-2013, 04:40 PM

I agree with most of your post. However, that in the bold should read 99.999% chance of faring the same or better. Staak and Robinson were both better coaches and had better performance records than Buzz. Regardless, by saying "the same or better," you've pretty well covered your bases...

myDeaconmyhand
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I'd be really surprised if Pitino quits after this year or any time soon. He's really competitive and basically has no pressure on him.

He couldn't be in a better place as his racing interests expand.

He's having a blast.

He's had a great 2 year run, but he's not reloading. Plus he looks really unhealthy, I've seen old men on chemo who looked better.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Maybe he's having too much fun :)

It's more like a six year run. If he makes at least the Elite 8, he will have done so in four of the last six years.

Other than Cal (at least one of those seasons was negated due to cheating), has anyone else had such a current run?

BDL
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
He's had a great 2 year run, but he's not reloading. Plus he looks really unhealthy, I've seen old men on chemo who looked better.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20540004/rick-pitino-says-he-no-longer-plans-to-retire-in-2017

"I'm probably going to sign an extension somewhere down the road," Pitino said. "I'm gonna stay in it as long as I'm healthy. ... I'm gonna stay in it as long as I can."

This development contradicts what Pitino said as recently as last year when he told a group of reporters that his contract runs out in 2017 and that he's "not coaching anymore after that."

So what to make of this new position?

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
That's still a minimum of four more seasons.

Again bringing up vacancies that may be there in 4-10 years is a lot "crazier" than ones are available this year or next.

myDeaconmyhand
03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/20540004/rick-pitino-says-he-no-longer-plans-to-retire-in-2017

"I'm probably going to sign an extension somewhere down the road," Pitino said. "I'm gonna stay in it as long as I'm healthy. ... I'm gonna stay in it as long as I can."

This development contradicts what Pitino said as recently as last year when he told a group of reporters that his contract runs out in 2017 and that he's "not coaching anymore after that."

So what to make of this new position?

He contradicts himself on a lot of different subjects, such as joining the ACC, but that's neither here nor there. It's just my personal opinion that he'd retire after winning the championship with a senior PG and senior C in a year where UK missed the tournament. There's no possible better career cap then that.

'15 Deac
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM

First, obviously this entire thread is assuming that Bzdelik gets fired. Yeah, we know it's probably not going to happen, but sorry that some of us don't get off on misery and would rather ignore that and be optimistic about possibilities going forward.

Also, I don't know why thinking Wake Forest is a good option is crazy. It depends on what Smart places value in as a coach, which none of us (not even RJ) know what that is. A lot of people might assume it's money, others assume it's being at one of the most prestigious programs in college basketball. I choose to think (based off of what I would do if I were in his position) that as an ambitious coach, he would place value in building his own success, while still being successful at the highest level. He can build his own success at VCU, but can't compete at the highest level. When you start naming other schools where he'll be building his own success and are more attractive than Wake, then I'll start listening. All of this about Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, he'd just be following on the coat tails of a great coach. UCLA is the only one that even sounds close and I'm sure there are other schools that possibly are more attractive, but no one is mentioning them. Wake Forest could be the best possible option for him to build his own program and succeed. I also don't think it's as risky as we think it is. Right now, the dumpster fire is right in front of our face, but not long ago we were the number one team in the country with good ability to recruit good players. Get him here year after next with Shelton Mitchell and I don't think this is a "coaching suicide" job.

Do I think this is realistic? Not really, I'm just being optimistic because there is nothing else good to focus on with this program. But is it crazy? C'mon with the name calling...

qcdeac
03-18-2013, 05:25 PM

Yeah, but crazy will still argue with you.

IAppreciateIt
03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Guys we need to stop just talking about this on the internet and get out and make this happen. We've seen what this board is capable of, we need to use that to bring Shaka to Wake. Someone needs to find Shaka's home address, cell phone number and personal email. We need to have a Wake fan at his doorstep EVERY DAY telling him to "THINK WAKE." Same thing when he gets home. We need to have people talking to his kids at school, turning them into Wake fans. We should use the billboard money on an advertisment on Shaka's daily commute telling him to come to Wake. WE CAN DO THIS GUYS

Deacfreak07
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM
someone with photoshop skills cannot let this pass by

Mental image of K emerging from Bob Knight's overgrown vagina is a good one.

w84it
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Mental image of K emerging from Bob Knight's overgrown vagina is a good one.

I was thinking of just a picture of a rat crawling out of an asshole, but whatever floats your boat.

Bluegrass Deac
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Pitino loves Louisville, he loves coaching college basketball and he loves his AD. Barring health issues I think he'll coach past age 65.

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
It's much less crazy to discuss what may happen over the next twelve months than it is theorize what might happen 5-10 years from now.

Schwabber89
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Louisville may come open this year if Pitino wins it all, but Cal is going to be at UK for 5 more years at least, so Shaka's not getting that job unless he pulls a Mark Few at VCU and stays there.

If you look at history, last year's epic run suggests Cal may be moving on soon (no speculation here on the reasons).

RJKarl
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
He's got five of the Top 20 players in the country coming in next year and has a commitment from a Top 10 from then following year.
Cal's not going anywhere.

You aren't bad at trolling.

Schwabber89
03-18-2013, 09:58 PM
He's got five of the Top 20 players in the country coming in next year and has a commitment from a Top 10 from then following year.
Cal's not going anywhere.

You aren't bad at trolling.

RJ, I have no idea what you mean by "trolling". Here is an interesting article I found:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11793826

deacz
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
bkf is like an older, grumpier, RoboHeel. He never fails to show up given the slightest opening to discuss Bobby Knight.

Deacfreak07
03-18-2013, 11:19 PM
bkf is like an older, grumpier, RoboHeel. He never fails to show up given the slightest opening to discuss Bobby Knight.

Who? Is that the guy that choked a player and threw a chair? I think I've heard of him.

qcdeac
03-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Bob Knight is the guest on Feherty next Monday night. Set the DVR bkf.

ThinkingWithMyDeac
03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
I had never even heard of Bob Knight till coming to this board.

WPDeac
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Who? Is that the guy that choked a player and threw a chair? I think I've heard of him.

Honest question, would you trade buzz choking cmm or Madison or throwing a chair across the court during a home loss (would say road loss but that would apparently be every road game) for an extra ten wins... At this point I would. #thanksron

Say what you will about bob knight and/or bkf but at least bob knight won without cheating... Just abuse

Wakeforest22890
03-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I was watching some thing on TruTV last night about Kentucky basketball after the selection discussion show and I heard a story I had never heard before about Bob Knight. In 1978 during the regular season meeting between Kentucky and Indiana, Indiana was pounding Kentucky and there was a hard foul on a Kentucky player with a few minutes left in the game and IU up by like 20 points. Joe B. Hall shouted down at Bobby Knight "what are ya doing Bobby?" because they were good friends (entering the game at least), and Knight came down to the UK bench to argue about the call. Once there Knight said "You coach your team and I'll coach mine Joe" and slapped him in the back of the head knocking Joe's glasses off. Joe said that it "publicly humiliated him" and apparently multiple UK assistants had to be restrained from hitting Knight in retaliation. Knight said after the game that he does that as a sign of affection and that if "Joe wants to dissolve the friendship that's on him."

I had never heard that story before which I think is strange given how much we've all heard about Bobby.

Shooter McGavin
03-19-2013, 08:01 AM
I think whenever someone says something about "doing things the right way" in college sports, they are legitimizing how the NCAA operates, which is actually pretty bullshit for a supposed non-profit. The NCAA blows.

TuffaloDeac10
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
I think whenever someone says something about "doing things the right way" in college sports, they are legitimizing how the NCAA operates, which is actually pretty bullshit for a supposed non-profit. The NCAA blows.

This x1000. I'll take a "cheating" coach over an abusive one because I think the players should be getting paid in the first place.

Shooter McGavin
03-19-2013, 08:12 AM
This x1000. I'll take a "cheating" coach over an abusive one because I think the players should be getting paid in the first place.

I recommend reading Coach Cal's thoughts on the NCAA. Sure, it's a little self-serving because it's Cal, but it doesn't mean that he's wrong. He makes the best argument and even though I'm old school UK hatin' I totally agree with him on his views of the NCAA.

Demonwolverine
03-23-2013, 12:25 PM
I know Shaka loves his press, but its bad coaching to keep it up against so many ball handlers on Michigan.

RJKarl
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
They aren't big enough to play a traditional defense and they want to force tempo.

Demonwolverine
03-23-2013, 12:54 PM
They aren't big enough to play a traditional defense and they want to force tempo.

Yeah, it's his go to, but this really is a bad match up for VCU. Pressing the best PG in the country is not going to work, especially when they have 3 guys on the court at all times that can bring it up. Shaka just hoping Michigan tires out.

Also, VCU leads the country in TO margin, while Michigan averages the fewest TO's.

bigdoublezero
03-23-2013, 12:58 PM
This game would be really fun if either team could make a bucket.

Demonwolverine
03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
This game would be really fun if either team could make a bucket.

Shooting poorly and still on pace for over 70. Wake has to shoot 50% to break 60.

Demonwolverine
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
2nd time VCU's big man has left his guard out to dry on a pick. I would be so pissed.

wake20
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Can't tell if this is a terrible matchup for VCU or if Beilein is working Smart (or both).

Demonwolverine
03-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Uh oh. Shaka in some unfamiliar territory here. Michigan playing the best they've played all season and looking like a championship caliber team.

DCDeac
03-23-2013, 01:05 PM
VCU is taking terrible shots. Seems like every time down one guy is just dribbling around then pulling up for a tough jumper.

RaleighDeacon
03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Michigan is just better than VCU.

THE DEUCE
03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't close the book on VCU yet

Bluegrass Deac
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
This game might be the one to make Shaka jump to a better program. He can whip his players into shape and run and press and win a lot of games but eventually his teams of 3 star players will run into a better, more talented team in the tournament. VCU's ability and talent level is being exposed today. They need a couple of athletic guards/wings that can finish at the rim.

RaleighDeacon
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Don't close the book on VCU yet

I would like to think that's the case, but they've dug themselves quite a hole here and I don't see Michigan suddenly becoming rattled by the press.

DeacdeTejas
03-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Maybe a blowout loss = Shaka to Wake?

RaleighDeacon
03-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Maybe a blowout loss = Shaka to Wake?

In that case, GO BLUE!

simosfrostyone
03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
VCU is flat. They need passion. They need Bzdelick.

bigdoublezero
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Seriously, how could anyone be pulling for VCU in this game?

GusGasms
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
If Shaka is going anywhere, it's Hollywood. The outcome of this game has no bearing on Wake.

PhonsoINT
03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Shaka's not coming to Wake....that's how.

MBDeac08
03-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Just like the 18 times we lost this year had no bearing on whether Buzz was coming back, VCU losing or winning today has no bearing on if he comes to Wake.

WakeForestRanger
03-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Today's game highlights my only real concern with Shaka and his havoc system. The level of guard play in the ACC usually doesn't allow you to run a full court press without paying dearly for it on the other end. Every coach that I can remember that ran a full court press ended up dropping it after a few years of being in the ACC.

TBR
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Today's game highlights my only real concern with Shaka and his havoc system. The level of guard play in the ACC usually doesn't allow you to run a full court press without paying dearly for it on the other end. Every coach that I can remember that ran a full court press ended up dropping it after a few years of being in the ACC.

http://www.thesportsbank.net/core/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/op_orange_blazer.jpg

TexasDeac10
03-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Can't tell if this is a terrible matchup for VCU or if Beilein is working Smart (or both).

Both. VCU is taking some terrible shots out there. Hard to tell what their offensive plan is.

And as i write this, VCU getting stomped. The full court press by VCU is just leading to dunks by Michigan.

dstanleywfu
VCU is getting its ass handed to them

Complacent Deac
No Skeen.

No Brandon Burgess.

Not good enough this year - they did not re-load with that level of talent.

TexasDeac10
03-23-2013, 01:53 PM
No Skeen.

No Brandon Burgess.

Not good enough this year - they did not re-load with that level of talent.

They're also totally unadaptable. Running a full court press all game was suicide.

You seriously have to question Shaka about this. Good coaches shouldn't look this overmatched.

olddke
03-23-2013, 01:57 PM
I am now on the Shaka bandwagon. He looks alot like a Wake Forest coach. Team just getting demolished in March. He meets all of our needs, just go throw money at him, we must have him.

thedeacfan
03-23-2013, 01:59 PM
They're also totally unadaptable. Running a full court press all game was suicide.

You seriously have to question Shaka about this. Good coaches shouldn't look this overmatched.

Part of the problem is the level of talent that you can attract to VCU. That's the difference between coaching at VCU vs coaching at a major D1 school... like Wake. It's only going to get worse for VCU with the conference realignment. I'm still ShakaIN.

Fuck Your Couch
03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

So you think Pitino and Louisville are going to struggle?

Lohengrin
03-23-2013, 02:00 PM
I don't follow VCU and Shaka, but watching this game makes me nervous of the RJ proposal of throwing the bank and a LT contract at him. VCU's game plan doesn't look good, and as we saw with Skip's program things that work in A-10 don't always work in the ACC.

We'd basically have to have confidence that he'd be a star coach without his "system" at VCU.

olddke
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Just being a smart ass because of all the over the top Shaka love. I want to see if hecan do it with kids he recruits not just a loaded team he inherits. Today is just a beat down losing by 27 and showing no signs of life.

TexasDeac10
03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Part of the problem is the level of talent that you can attract to VCU. That's the difference between coaching at VCU vs coaching at a major D1 school... like Wake. I'm still ShakaIN.

People may use the talent excuse, but there was a lot VCU could have done differently.

I just think we're seeing the limitations of the "Havoc" philosophy on full display here.

RJKarl

That's the only hope they had. Only only of their normal rotation players is over 6'6. If they played a traditional D, Michigan would destroy them any anyway.

The basic truth is Michigan has four NBA 1st Round NBA picks and VCU has zero. That normally leads to one sided games.

Fuck Your Couch
A lot of small sample size concerns right now.

bym051d
03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Hopefully, this will make enough people question Shaka, so he's still available next year.

Deacfreak07
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
He's also only in his 30's. Coaches learn from losses.

HeavyPetter
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
VCU really could have used Jamie Skeen today.

KidA23
03-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Seth Davis ‏@SethDavisHoops 6m
VCU had a terrific season. And Shaka could have a decision to make. Keep in mind A10 is being eviscerated by realignment.

dstanleywfu
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Michigan is playing the best basketball of the season at the right time.. just so happens that VCU is having a bad game.. and plus the overall talent level of Michigan is way better than VCU it makes it even worse looking.. but seeing this 25 point spread is awful to watch

thedeacfan
03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
He's also only in his 30's. Coaches learn from losses.

Jeff Bzdelik should be a coaching genius by now...

DeaconOEF/OIFvet
03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Michigan is playing the best basketball of the season at the right time.. just so happens that VCU is having a bad game.. and plus the overall talent level of Michigan is way better than VCU it makes it even worse looking.. but seeing this 25 point spread is awful to watch

Will take him anyways. I'm still hoping, against all hope, that Ron is pulling the ultimate poker card face with this whole deal right now, and will pull him on board within the next few weeks.

WakeForestRanger
03-23-2013, 02:25 PM
So you think Pitino and Louisville are going to struggle?

I just remember Skip's explanation of why he didn't run a press at Wake like he did at Xavier. Watching other coaches and their results with the press in the ACC seemed to confirm Skip's judgment. Doesn't mean you can't be successful with it, but is something I would be concerned with until I see how a coach actually performs with it at this level.

With the double round robin a thing of the past, that system has a greater chance for success.

jaybone
03-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Kinda karmic. I thought it was a bit unsportsmanlike what Shaka did to a depleted Akron - pressing up 30. So he gets his

buckets
03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Shaka will be at UCLA next year

sailordeac
03-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Here is my two cents worth, and I have coached a little and loved to press, and at times my team's press was a beauty to behold. At other times, not so much. To me the weakness is that some people you can press, other teams not so much. When a press becomes integral to your defense, then it also starts to become key to your offense. And when the press is not producing turnovers - indeed, resulting in easy baskets against you because the other team is too good at beating your press - then your offense tends to stagnate as well. So, all in all, I could get away with a good press at times but not at others. You are just better off at doing what most good and great coaches do and forget full court presses most of the time and simply teach your players to put pressure on the ball in the half-court. It seems to work better in the long run.

WFU1990
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I think that big problem with consistently running a press like VCU currently runs against teams with significant talent as found in the bigger conferences is that Shaka's press requires four quick (and therefore probably smaller players) for it to be effective. It is a 1-2-1-1 press basically, which relies on a quick player pressing the ball initially, getting the point guard going up court fast (and a bit out of control) into the waiting trap on either end from the middle of the diamond. It relies on consistent fast pressure causing turnovers (heating up the ball). When a team has a couple of high level ball handlers who can break that, you run into halfcourt matchups like that seen with Michigan, where they are outmanned down low. It can obviously be effective, as he has been very successful with it, but due to the squad it requires to run it effectively, it can be a problem running it full-time against top teams.

berneses
03-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Buzz sucks, Shaka sucks.

DeacDiggler
03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
couldn't the same criticisms be applied to the FGCU coach who likes to press full time?

buckets
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
You guys realize that this "down year" for Shaka is still better than any season Bzdelik has ever had?