• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Clinton to Paul Ryan on Medicare Election: ‘Give me a Call’

It's called being cordial. you can't possibly think this exchange was Clinton agreeing with Ryan's plan.

It's called being cordial. you can't possibly think this exchange was Clinton agreeing with Ryan's plan.

Not at all. But I do think it is Clinton not agreeing with doing nothing participating in demagoguery.

He did no such thing. I'll make you a bet Clinton talks about the GOP plan to end Medicare during the 2012.

To anybody who will listen.

I bet if YOU got a chance to talk to Bill Clinton, he'd say to YOU, "give me a call."

I don't think Ryan wants to mess with Clinton. He'll damage his brand and Clinton will run over him.

I think Clinton is a politician that got things done, and sees some that same ideal in Paul. Doesn't mean he agrees with his policy, but both men seem to see an urgency to not be satisfied with an unsustainable status quo.

I don't think Ryan wants to mess with Clinton. He'll damage his brand and Clinton will run over him.

Where did this idea that the Clintons are invincible political machines come from? They are great politicians for sure, but this is the guy that got impeached because of a BJ, and won two elections against weak candidates who couldn't rally their own base.

Paul Ryan is no lightweight. I'm pretty sure he can handle himself.

Where did this idea that the Clintons are invincible political machines come from? They are great politicians for sure, but this is the guy that got impeached because of a BJ, and won two elections against weak candidates who couldn't rally their own base.

Don't forget...Clinton never won >50% of the vote.

Well if popular votes count that W wouldn't have been POTUS.

In 1996, Clinton won with about 100 more EV than W got in either election.

I don't think the Clinton's are invincible political machines. I think Ryan could do damage to his brand by working with him and I wouldn't trust Clinton with anything, especially if I was an up and coming Pub.

I don't think the Clinton's are invincible political machines. I think Ryan could do damage to his brand by working with him and I wouldn't trust Clinton with anything, especially if I was an up and coming Pub.

That depends on what Ryan thinks his "brand" is. If he wants it to be the hero of the Tea Party than you are right. If he wants it to be someone who gets things done than I disagree...working with Clinton (the man who got things done) would do him some good.

IF he wants to be someone who gets things done, he won't be an elected Republican much longer.

THANK YOU.

I love Bill Clinton - think he's great. I also really admire Hillary. But "The Clintons" and "The Clinton Machine" is vastly overrated to the point of absurdity.

Clinton never won 50%. He managed to get himself impeached.
After 8 years, he was personally popular, but not enough to get his VP elected--in part due to "Clinton fatigue"
In 2004, the "Clintonistas" swooped in to rescue John Kerry. KERRY LOST.
In 2008, Hillary (who was a fine Senator) was the "inevitable" nominee who lost to the guy who showed up 20 minutes earlier--AND HER HUSBAND WAS A DETRIMENT.

Again, I really like and admire the Clintons, but I am so sick of hearing about the vaunted Clinton machine. THEY NEVER WIN ANYTHING.

Ok, rant over.

On to the point--I suspect Clinton sees in Ryan a young, smart, articulate politician who wants to do big things. Easy to understand how Bill would relate and want to have a beer.

the reason Gore lost is because he kept clinton fomr doing ANY campaigning for him.

More Clinton, quoted in today's NYT:

Speaking at a budget forum in Washington on Tuesday, former President Bill Clinton told reporters that Democrats “are going to have to be willing to give up, maybe, some short-term political gain by whipping up fears on some of these things — if it’s a reasonable Social Security proposal, a reasonable Medicare proposal. We’ve got to deal with these things. You cannot have health care devour the economy.”

Back