• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Nightmare Scenario!

Shitfly Green

Reaction score
Imagine this nightmare scenario: Senators who want to end Medicare writing health policy. Lawmakers who think global warming is a hoax chairing the environment committee. President Obama’s Supreme Court nominees wouldn’t stand a chance.

Four seats. That’s all it would take to lose our Senate majority. I know: I count the votes.

I know it seems early. But Republicans – and the Koch brothers, and Karl Rove – certainly aren’t waiting, and neither can we. We don’t want to sit bolt upright in bed some night in November 2012 and have our hearts sink with the realization that if we’d only started a little earlier, worked a little harder, and done a little more, we’d still be holding the Senate.

How hard we work in these Senate races will affect President Obama’s re-election, too. Some of our key Senate races are big swing states – Ohio, Nevada, Florida. A strong showing will help President Obama. A weak showing – and a loss of four or more seats – means he could win the battle, but not the war. President Obama can’t bring progress on his own. He needs the Senate. And I need you.

Four seats. It’s such a small number, but such a big deal. Four seats is all that stands between moving our nation forward, or slipping backward. We simply can’t afford to sit this one out.

The Senate races will use "Save Medicare" as a rallying cry.

Imagine this nightmare scenario: Senators who want to end Medicare writing health policy. Lawmakers who think global warming is a hoax chairing the environment committee. President Obama’s Supreme Court nominees wouldn’t stand a chance.

Four seats. That’s all it would take to lose our Senate majority. I know: I count the votes.

I know it seems early. But Republicans – and the Koch brothers, and Karl Rove – certainly aren’t waiting, and neither can we. We don’t want to sit bolt upright in bed some night in November 2012 and have our hearts sink with the realization that if we’d only started a little earlier, worked a little harder, and done a little more, we’d still be holding the Senate.

How hard we work in these Senate races will affect President Obama’s re-election, too. Some of our key Senate races are big swing states – Ohio, Nevada, Florida. A strong showing will help President Obama. A weak showing – and a loss of four or more seats – means he could win the battle, but not the war. President Obama can’t bring progress on his own. He needs the Senate. And I need you.

Four seats. It’s such a small number, but such a big deal. Four seats is all that stands between moving our nation forward, or slipping backward. We simply can’t afford to sit this one out.

Whose political email blast did you cut and paste this from?

Save Medicare by doing nothing. Yep that's a real winner. Glad I have 30 years until I'm at the age I need it...plenty of time to make alternative plans

2012 preview: Obama wins the presidency and Pubs take the Senate.

Whose political email blast did you cut and paste this from?

I believe this is an excerpt from a fundraising email from Senator Durbin of IL. The poster omitted the part where the senator asks for $5.

Yet Ryan won't take it away from current recipients and Obama wanted to slash $500M from the program.

I hope your gang runs on this plank. It should be hillarious.

Yet Ryan won't take it away from current recipients and Obama wanted to slash $500M from the program.

People who use that argument don't seem to understand that people younger than 55 will still eventually get old. Instead of Paul Ryan pushing an old lady in a wheelchair off a cliff in 2011, they just need to show that the year is 2022 and the ad would still be relevant.

People who use that argument don't seem to understand that people younger than 55 will still eventually get old. Instead of Paul Ryan pushing an old lady in a wheelchair off a cliff in 2011, they just need to show that the year is 2022 and the ad would still be relevant.

And people like you seem to think if you just tax the hell out of the rich you'll have entitlement programs forever. The think is, I'm 50 and I have no illusions regarding entitlements. My retirement age is going to be pushed out. I'll probably never receive anything close to what I put into the system. And I'm going to be paying for a lot of health care out of my pocket. You are lucky. If you're smart you're investing your money for your future health care. If you're not and your banking on social security and medicare you are out of your mind. You could tax the "rich" at 90% and it wouldn't make a dent.

By lucky I mean you are young enough to save for the inevitable.

He didn't slash $500B. That was savings from making it more efficient, etc. and getting rid of the useless and overpriced "senior advantage programs, but don't let reality get in the way of a BS talking point.

Ryan didn't take it waway from 55+ peopple, but it DOES take it away from the hundreds of millions of Americans under 55 who have been paying into for decades.

He also doesn't guarnatee that everyone will get covered or will be able to afford coverage.

How much do you think coverage for a couple that are 76/78 with the man having had prostate cancer and a heart attack and the woman with high blood pressure and diabetes will cost?

A direct effect will be that tens of millions of elderly American will have at $6000/year (according ot the CBO-remebmer that's 2010 dollars and adjusted for inflation when the program in put into action) to spend in our economy.

This plan will hundreds of thousands of jobs. Thunk about 25M elderly with $6000 less to spend directly takes $150B out of the economy. They go on less trips, buy fewv clothes, buy less of everything.

They should call this the Killer of Old People and Jobs Plan.

Even Bill Clinton thinks it has to be reformed. Ryan had the balls to put something on the table. Its a place to start from. All you can do is trash it because it came from a conservative. But do you have a plan? Didn't think so.

Even Bill Clinton thinks it has to be reformed. Ryan had the balls to put something on the table. Its a place to start from. All you can do is trash it because it came from a conservative. But do you have a plan? Didn't think so.

It';s not a place to start from if it's absurd and obscene.

A place to start would be upping the age, means testing, competing for the drug section or modernizing the back office,

Killing it and bankrupting millions of Americans is not a place to start. It's equivalent ot saying I'll offer you $100 for your home in Greenwich, CT and saying that's a starting place.

It's like saying to a person interviewing for a hjob, "Let me fuck your wife and you'll get a second interview. IF yo uget the job, I'll have to do wife and daughter on alternate nights.

It's like saying to a person interviewing for a hjob, "Let me fuck your wife and you'll get a second interview. IF yo uget the job, I'll have to do wife and daughter on alternate nights.

Perfect analogy ......smh

And people like you seem to think if you just tax the hell out of the rich you'll have entitlement programs forever. The think is, I'm 50 and I have no illusions regarding entitlements. My retirement age is going to be pushed out. I'll probably never receive anything close to what I put into the system. And I'm going to be paying for a lot of health care out of my pocket. You are lucky. If you're smart you're investing your money for your future health care. If you're not and your banking on social security and medicare you are out of your mind. You could tax the "rich" at 90% and it wouldn't make a dent.

Actually, Dirk, people like me think we have to lower the costs of health care and then deal with the tough philosophical questions about the end of life that I posted on another thread. You can't narrow down the complicated issues around aging to simply saving your money. Not only does that perspective make some major assumptions about the costs of health care or what health care will even be in the future, it also does not account for the damage that just saving would cause to the larger economy.

Imagine how much money wouldn't move into the larger economy if every household at around the median income (~$50K) was stocking away enough savings to pay for all anticipated health care costs. They'd barely be able to pay live right now and take care of their current health care costs. You can talk about how much Medicare costs now. I can guarantee you it would cost more for everybody to save what they have for the future instead of spending it now. Wages would have to go up and spending would go way down.

Right now, we have a very flawed system. No question about that. But one thing that is good about Medicare is that for the most part, the money that gets siphoned into it goes to health care when it's needed. Sure there is some waste and fraud, but Americans aren't taking money off the table now just in case because they know when they get older, they'll be alright. That's one hell of a safety net for taxpayers and for the private industry that needs these consumers to spend now. The economic impact of every American saving to anticipate rising health care costs would hurt the average business owner big time. No small business owner wants to hear, "Yeah, I'd love to buy your cogs and widgets, I can't afford to because I may have a heart attack in 40 years."

Absolutely right! We need more pols with the balls to at least put something on the table. We're going bankrupt while these idiots posture and run for re-election.

he GOP voted AGAINST the $500B in savings in the HC bil. The GOP also vote FOR making it illegal to negitiate for cheaper RX prices for seniors.

These two things alone are over $65B/year in Medicare changes the Dems HAVE put on the table. The GOP's response is to KILL Meidcare. That's not a legitimate postion from which to start negotiations.

Back