• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BIG NEWS ON RECRUITING FRONT, boys!!!!

Jeff Bzdelik

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
3077868778_64becfb0f5.jpg

Ἀχαιμενίδης;6274 said:
Could someone explain the origin of the sock jokes? I missed that one on the old board.

I'm doing this from memory, but here it goes:

In a Dan Collins blog post, Wellman discussed the culture change we were aiming for under Jeff. The gist of it was an attention to detail and professionalism. Wellman told a parable of John Wooden, whose attention to detail was so great that he apparently made his guys all wear their socks the same way.

Somehow this has been twisted over several threads, and people think that Jeff actually cares how his players wear his socks.

Although, apparently [Redacted] and Wellman do care about off-the-court stuff to an extent. It's been talked about that they made the players attend an etiquette course in Deacon Tower after some of them tried to eat steaks with their hands at a team dinner (lol).

I'm doing this from memory, but here it goes:

In a Dan Collins blog post, Wellman discussed the culture change we were aiming for under Jeff. The gist of it was an attention to detail and professionalism. Wellman told a parable of John Wooden, whose attention to detail was so great that he apparently made his guys all wear their socks the same way.

Somehow this has been twisted over several threads, and people think that Jeff actually cares how his players wear his socks.

Although, apparently [Redacted] and Wellman do care about off-the-court stuff to an extent. It's been talked about that they made the players attend an etiquette course in Deacon Tower after some of them tried to eat steaks with their hands at a team dinner (lol).
Steaks with their hands? What, were they eating at Medieval Times?

No, it was some steakhouse (Ryan's? I don't know. Someone else may know the exact location). Apparently it's a little embarrassing to the university when our players do stuff like that.

I can't blame them though. Some of them may come from family backgrounds that don't include eating at restaurants. Hence Wellman's etiquette lessons idea. I personally think it's a fine and necessary idea, but I'm sure some posters will think this is just another "socks" incident.

Wow. That is hilarious. But they can eat out of a food trough for all I care, if they would just get better at basketball.

No, it was some steakhouse (Ryan's? I don't know. Someone else may know the exact location). Apparently it's a little embarrassing to the university when our players do stuff like that.

I can't blame them though. Some of them may come from family backgrounds that don't include eating at restaurants. Hence Wellman's etiquette lessons idea. I personally think it's a fine and necessary idea, but I'm sure some posters will think this is just another "socks" incident.

Even if they don't go to restaurants, who the fuck eats a steak with their fucking hands?

That's fucking unbelievable

I'm assuming that quote is a bit exaggerated. My guess is it's not that they were picking up the entire steaks with their hands and eating it, but that potentially fingers were being used to maybe push vegetables along side the steak or something onto a fork.

Not much better but I really just don't see them as picking up the steaks with their hands and just biting chunks off.

Restaurant etiquette lessons at a fucking Ryans

Did Buzz show them how to properly dunk their McNuggets into the sweet and sour sauce?

Ἀχαιμενίδης;6288 said:
Wow. That is hilarious. But they can eat out of a food trough for all I care, if they would just get better at basketball.

For some reason this just sounds racist to me. And I hate when people call that out.

I still find the sock jokes funny, but I have a bad sense of humor.

I have the mental image of 2 players clamped down on opposite ends of a steak like two starving dogs and buzz comes along, knife in hand, and cuts straight down the middle

I'm assuming that quote is a bit exaggerated. My guess is it's not that they were picking up the entire steaks with their hands and eating it, but that potentially fingers were being used to maybe push vegetables along side the steak or something onto a fork.

Not much better but I really just don't see them as picking up the steaks with their hands and just biting chunks off.

I don't think it's exaggerated at all, actually. It was apparently appalling enough to prompt Wellman's hand.

And honestly, if you take a kid that's never eaten in a restaurant or grown up in a family that eats many formal meals, this isn't that surprising.

I think they were funny for about... 2 weeks? We're going on 2 months now. Facepalm

I still think they are funny :p It will probably never get old.

I'm sure the divide between funny and not probably falls along the lines of your relation to the Buzzout or Buzzin movement

The steak story is infinitely funnier than the socks. And I think the socks thing is still pretty funny, too.

Back