• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cyber war = real war

I'd like it if real war = cyber war and instead of putting real lives at stake it was just some nerds on World of Warcraft handily the wars.

I found this line LOL funny...

"If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks," said a military official.

I found this line LOL funny...

"If you shut down our power grid, maybe we will put a missile down one of your smokestacks," said a military official.

The target area is only two meters wide. That's impossible! Even for a computer.

Cyber warfare is a main strategy for China's military. China's official military doctrine calls for the use of cyber warfare to soften up a target by disrupting command, control, communications, and intelligence (C3I) functions before launching a conventional attack. Also, China's military regularly hosts hacking competitions to identify the best hackers in China for "recruitment" to the military. I use the term recruitment loosely since if they decide they want you, you have no choice.

Cyber warfare is a main strategy for China's military. China's official military doctrine calls for the use of cyber warfare to soften up a target by disrupting command, control, communications, and intelligence (C3I) functions before launching a conventional attack. Also, China's military regularly hosts hacking competitions to identify the best hackers in China for "recruitment" to the military. I use the term recruitment loosely since if they decide they want you, you have no choice.

The tactic of targeting command, control and comm functionality is certainly nothing new. The allies used a prolonged bombing campaign to do the same to German supply and communication lines in Europe prior to launching the Normandy invasion. The only difference now is the targets and weapons exist as bits of data.

C3I is always a prime target for as long as war has been fought, but China has been advocating the approach of using cyber warfare for this effect since the 1980s. Even when the US and allies led an information warfare campaign that redefined modern warfare in the first Gulf war, it was done mostly with aircraft and radar, not computer.

PhD - I wish cyber warfare was just some guys doing virtual combat on a computer. Unfortunately, it is different, like shutting down electrical grids, tampering with water controls to contaminate or shut off water supplies, knocking out communication grids, etc. This will result in mass problems and casualties, and have a much greater effect on civilians than previous forms of modern warfare, at least since WWII.

Alum, not sure if you're joking, but I'm completely aware of that. I was just saying I wish real attacks could lead to being handled by nerds doing virtual combat instead of cyber attacks leading to real wars.

Ph - Yeah, I was joking and saying how I wished it was the same thing you were describing. The rest of it was just information for anyone that didn't know, not directed specifically.

I guess I enjoy talking about these subjects cause it's what I do for a living and for my graduate degree.

Back