• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Practice Updates/Spring Game Discussion

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates from practice? I'm stoked for football season and am like an addict needing a fix.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/mar/18/wssport01-football-deacons-have-gotten-bigger-ar-872393/

Twelve Deacons weigh at least 300 pounds, compared to 10 last season. But the biggest difference is in the super-heavyweight division, with seven Deacons weighing at least 320 pounds.

A year ago, Dennis Godfrey weighed 335, and no one else on the team weighed more than 315.

The seven players who reported for practice weighing at least 320 were offensive linemen Godfrey (350), Doug Weaver (320), Daniel Blitch (325), Joe Looney (320), Gabe Irby (325) and Colin Summers (330) and nose guard Bryson Dunmeyer (335).

Redshirt freshman tackle Antonio Ford weighs 315.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2011/mar/18/wssport01-football-deacons-have-gotten-bigger-ar-872393/

Twelve Deacons weigh at least 300 pounds, compared to 10 last season. But the biggest difference is in the super-heavyweight division, with seven Deacons weighing at least 320 pounds.

A year ago, Dennis Godfrey weighed 335, and no one else on the team weighed more than 315.

The seven players who reported for practice weighing at least 320 were offensive linemen Godfrey (350), Doug Weaver (320), Daniel Blitch (325), Joe Looney (320), Gabe Irby (325) and Colin Summers (330) and nose guard Bryson Dunmeyer (335).

Redshirt freshman tackle Antonio Ford weighs 315.

I cant decide whether this is good or bad.

I want big boys, but I want them to have good weight, not a bunch of tub

This mad me think of the poster "goin' hoggin":werd:

Yes well going hoggin would enjoy that but I was being serious

Dennis Godfrey for example has had lots of injury problems because he is putting on bad weight

I havent seen Gabe Irby since homecoming but that is a lot of weight to put on

Does RULZ know his son has been guzzling a bunch of bacon grease to get over 300?

Large and nimble is what I'd like to think of them. We have a history of going after guys who are great with their feet, but not enough beef. Hopefully this will be a nice blend of both. I'd love to not see our offensive linemen on their backs.

Yeah, them getting pushed at the POA was really frustrating. Hopefully the added weight and strength doesn't take away from their quickness much.

Was it last year or two years ago that the OL was actively slimming down?

I'm more worried about our size on the DL.

Last edited:
Was it last year or two years ago that the OL was actively slimming down?

I'm more worried about our size on the DL.

You and me both, Ph. If we don't get some bigger defensive tackles, we're in deep doo-doo.

Size has always been a problem for Wake. Beefier linemen should be a good thing.

You and me both, Ph. If we don't get some bigger defensive tackles, we're in deep doo-doo.

Couldn't agree with you more DeacLaw05, The Defensive Line was a problem last season espcially at the end of the season last year! I keep going back to the Boston College Game we were physically beat up on the line of scrimmage!

Back