• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TV execs admit pushing liberal agenda

If TV shows with an overt conservative agenda made more money than shows with a liberal agenda, there would be more of them. Rupert Murdoch owes the conglomerate that includes Glee and Hannity because he's trying to make money.

I'll add that if the advertisers wanted to advertise during more conservative shows, you'd see such a move as well.

Yet he doesn't talk about RWers who have done the same thing.

Did you notice out of the thousands of shows he only picked obvious ones?

A perfect example is M*A*S*H. The movie was totally anti-war. Why wouldn't the TV show be the same?

Friends was about Yuppies in NYC. What do you think their politics would be?

Do you know the only thing that has ever mattered in Hollywood? MONEY

If you are making MONEY you can hire whom you want. the instant you stop making money you get fired.

What that article shows is that liberals are REALLY good at making MONEY in entertainment.

The industry has given conservative Tom Selleck multiple shows. Why is that? Oh yeah, he makes them MONEY.

Mainstream conservative shows like NCIS and other crap on CBS are boring as hell. Conservatives are less creative, less humorous -- that part of their brain tends not to work as well. They can stick to warping news on Fox News, blathering on talk radio, making mundane action/drama shows on CBS and lame Christian crap on ABC Family, and watching Patricia Heaton on whatever bad sitcom she's on. Let the creative minds do their thing.

Shoo, there's something else to think about here. Working on a TV show is really hard work. In essence they are making short movie in less than a week 20-30 times a year.

It's not unusual to put in 14-18 hour days. If you are with your colleagues more than your family, are you going to hire people with whom don't get along?

I look forward to the "Country music execs admit pushing conservative agenda" thread.

If TV shows with an overt conservative agenda made more money than shows with a liberal agenda, there would be more of them. Rupert Murdoch owes the conglomerate that includes Glee and Hannity because he's trying to make money.

I'll add that if the advertisers wanted to advertise during more conservative shows, you'd see such a move as well.

That is an interesting take. The thing of it is I'm trying to think of a show outside of a reality show, cooking show or sports I would watch. I gave up sitcoms a long time ago. But your point is taken. Its been a long time since Happy Days.

It's not interesting. It's capitalism. That's the basic way it works.

And as others have mentioned, CBS has made a pretty good niche for themselves with crime dramas that appeal to an older, possibly more conservative audience.

If you're not watching scripted TV nowadays, you're missing out. Lots of great shows.

And as others have mentioned, CBS has made a pretty good niche for themselves with crime dramas that appeal to an older, possibly more conservative audience.

If you're not watching scripted TV nowadays, you're missing out. Lots of great shows.

Well, I did watch some CSI in recent years, I must admit. The thing of it is the last show I really enjoyed was the West Wing. That was some seriously liberal shit but I loved the show.

The West Wing was a long time ago. Never got into it although some of my liberal friends in politics swore by it.

Here's a suggestion. Watch Parks and Recreation tomorrow on NBC at 9:30. You'll like it even if just for Ron Swanson.

The West Wing was a long time ago. Never got into it although some of my liberal friends in politics swore by it.

Here's a suggestion. Watch Parks and Recreation tomorrow on NBC at 9:30. You'll like it even if just for Ron Swanson.

I will DVR it and give it a try. I watched a recorded episode of Deadliest Catch and then went to the hockey, so you can imagine where I'm coming from. I'm reading John LeCarre's Our Kind of Traitor, so I'm a little busy after work.

And the kicker is I have no idea who Ron Swanson is, so this should be an interesting social experiment...

Should be. It's a repeat of the first episode of the season. I think this season is one of the best seasons of a comedy I've ever seen. I think you'll see early on why I recommended it.

I wouldn't say there are alot, but there are some. Mostly on HBO and Showtime.

And posrep to dirk. The West Wing was great.

Is Law and Order liberal or conservative? I know Dick Wolf is a pretty big lib, but that show has seemed to glorify "prosecutorial zeal" more than standing up for the rights of the accused. Either way, I still enjoy watching an episode of it every now and again.

I wouldn't say there are alot, but there are some. Mostly on HBO and Showtime.

And posrep to dirk. The West Wing was great.

Is Law and Order liberal or conservative? I know Dick Wolf is a pretty big lib, but that show has seemed to glorify "prosecutorial zeal" more than standing up for the rights of the accused. Either way, I still enjoy watching an episode of it every now and again.

AMC has some great shows as well.

I think it's much more interesting that the television industry is so exclusionary towards politically conservative people. Liberal actors are more vocal about their beliefs, and the conservative ones just keep their mouth shut to stay in the business. Charlton Heston and Arnold are the only confirmed pub actors I can think of, off hand.

It saddens me to think that people believe that you can influence political beliefs with FICTIONAL TV shows. There might be some people influenced, but my guess is if you are that weak minded that a TV comedy would influence your vote, you probably do not vote anyway. Just my 2 cents. Big yawn.

Shoo, there's something else to think about here. Working on a TV show is really hard work. In essence they are making short movie in less than a week 20-30 times a year.

It's not unusual to put in 14-18 hour days. If you are with your colleagues more than your family, are you going to hire people with whom don't get along?

No flaws in this reasoning whatsoever. For example, sometimes people deploy away from their families for 14-18 months at a time, living, showering and avoiding mortal threats on an hourly basis from hostile enemy fire, homicide bombers and land mines. If you are with your heterosexual colleagues more than your family, are you going to enlist people with whom you don't get along?

Back