• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The scam that is the debt ceiling as an issue

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
As Stephen Colbert so accurately commented, the debt veiling was raised without any problem in 2002-3-4-6-7 and twice in 2008.

What a scam.

Phenomenal strategy, which we should all incorporate into our own financial lives. When we max out one credit card, just go get another one and pile it on. That makes perfect sense.

Republicans had no problem doing it over and over for W. Thus their position now is a scam.

Republicans had no problem doing it over and over for W. Thus their position now is a scam.

And Senator Obama had no problem voting against the requests, along with a majority of his Democratic colleagues.

It is always an issue rife with partisan political posturing.

It is a bit more poignant this year due to the national mood, re: government spending.

And Senator Obama had no problem voting against the requests, along with a majority of his Democratic colleagues.
It is always an issue rife with partisan political posturing.

It is a bit more poignant this year due to the national mood, re: government spending.

It's been a tough week for RJ on the boards.

Why it's more of a scam now id the GOP refuses to be adults and discuss the necessary tax increases. It's impossible to fix this problem without them.

Why it's more of a scam now id the GOP refuses to be adults and discuss the necessary tax increases. It's impossible to fix this problem without them.

There's no such thing as emergency debt.

^there isn't? explain...

"Emergency debt" is simply the symptom of a failure to plan. You don't reward the failure to plan by compounding the mistake. You find some place to cut as the penalty for failure. You certainly don't subsidize the bad behavior by repeating the mistake.

jhmd, seems to be making a fine argument for raising taxes instead of incurring more debt.

Yet raising taxes seems to be a non-starter for Republicans. Why are people expecting them to contribute to the solution? Let's figure out the best way to raise taxes and lower spending instead.

"Emergency debt" is simply the symptom of a failure to plan. You don't reward the failure to plan by compounding the mistake. You find some place to cut as the penalty for failure. You certainly don't subsidize the bad behavior by repeating the mistake.

like a lockbox when there's a surplus?

Yet raising taxes seems to be a non-starter for Republicans. Why are people expecting them to contribute to the solution? Let's figure out the best way to raise taxes and lower spending instead.[/QUOTE]

Instead of what? I guess I'll have to go back an re-read my own post, but that's what I thought I'd said.

No, no, no. Bake you've got to think like Republicans. When there's debt, you cut spending and deride the lack of planning. When there's a surplus, you spend like crazy instead of planning.

Yet raising taxes seems to be a non-starter for Republicans. Why are people expecting them to contribute to the solution? Let's figure out the best way to raise taxes and lower spending instead.[/QUOTE]

Instead of what? I guess I'll have to go back an re-read my own post, but that's what I thought I'd said.

If you said that Republicans need to be shut out of the discussion of solving these problems because they have no plan whatsoever to fully address the issues, then yeah. I took what you said and took it a step further. Now if you agree with that, great.

No, no, no. Bake you've got to think like Republicans. When there's debt, you cut spending and deride the lack of planning. When there's a surplus, you spend like crazy instead of planning.

and don't forget sending everyone a check for $800!

seriously though - for a business, a government, and an individual/household to borrow money in an emergency is crucial for each - is it not? :wtf:

how much emergency funding should the government keep on hand in case of emergency?

If you said that Republicans need to be shut out of the discussion of solving these problems because they have no plan whatsoever to fully address the issues, then yeah. I took what you said and took it a step further. Now if you agree with that, great.

And you believe that democrats actually HAVE a plan to address the issue? Other than taxing the shit out of the wealthy?

Either way, your suggestion is laughable. Do you really think it's possible to shut one party out of the discussion? Ridiculous. Neither will allow that to happen.

Democrats have to give on spending, republicans have to give on tax cuts. My prediction is that neither will do anything substantive until it's too late. Both parties are more interested in getting elected than in doing the right thing.

Back