• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ayn Rand and Christianity

Lectro

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
How can Christians rationalize their support of a 'philosopher' who frowned on charity, extolled greed and called for the dismantling of all major religions?

I am rather indifferent to Ayn Rand, but it is an interesting topic. This video seems relevant.

Uh, because they understand even less about Rand's philosophies than they do about Christianity? Superficial understanding FTL.

How can Christians rationalize their support of a 'philosopher' who frowned on charity, extolled greed and called for the dismantling of all major religions?

because like most people, they just pick the parts of their philosophies that work for them

because like most people, they just pick the parts of their philosophies that work for them

Does the rise of materialist christian interpretations (notably in the 20th century) also affect the rationalizations?

One line from Thorstein Veblen's classic "Theory of the Leisure Class" always rings true for me "all social, philosophic and religious institutions tend to wear the livery of the pre-dominant economic model."

Does the rise of materialist christian interpretations (notably in the 20th century) also affect the rationalizations?

Probably because materialist Christian interpretations are nothing more than rationalizations themself.

Probably because materialist Christian interpretations are nothing more than rationalizations themself.

There are New Testament scriptures that support the so-called "prosperity gospel", but overall I agree. I'm sure it's easier on the conscience to rake in the loot while others are suffering if you believe that God is rewarding you financially for your faith.

There are scriptures to support anything you want because it is a huge book written about a bunch of really screwed up people. But people using the Bible to support their own personal interpretation of life are using it for nothing more than a prop.

Shoot, Edward's fall from grace is nothing compared to David. He slept with one of his best friend's wife, got her pregnant, then sent the best friend off to battle to intentionally have him killed. Prosperity gospel, materialistic Christianity...however you want to define it, is a bastardization of epic proportions. It is truly sad that non-Christians see this version of self-salvation as under the umbrella of True Christianity.

An honest question- Do you consider people to be Christians if they don't have the same brand of Chirstianity that you do?

An honest question- Do you consider people to be Christians if they don't have the same brand of Chirstianity that you do?

That's an interesting question. I consider anyone who believes in Jesus as their Lord and Savior to be a Christian.

I would guess Wrangor does as well, but there are some who think that if you don't beleive exactly as they do, you aren't.

Given the prevalence of people on here lumping all Christians and their beliefs together in a very limited and intentionally politically uber conservative way, I'd say most do not. It's that way or they're on the "ignorant" highway.

For those that believe...describing/understanding God is like describing/understanding the atom. It's unknowable by fiat, you can only construct flawed models. IMO it's pointless to attack the flaws of something known to be imperfect and use it as evidence of total failure.

My particular denomination does not have a monopoly on salvation. With that being said, there are lots of people that claim to be Christians that simply are not Christians in any way shape or form. Westboro Baptist Church and Christian Identity Churches are the most obvious examples of this.

There are definitely fewer Christians in practice than in self-identification. People who have a general belief in God, think Jesus was a good guy, and go to church on Easter or Christmas Eve call themselves Christians because it's more socially acceptable.

There are definitely fewer Christians in practice than in self-identification. People who have a general belief in God, think Jesus was a good guy, and go to church on Easter or Christmas Eve call themselves Christians because it's more socially acceptable.

truth

I would say the dominant religion in American (particularly the American South) is what best can be described as therapeutic moral deism.

Seeing this reminded of one of the Catholic priests in our town sent postcards to his parishoners the week before Easter one year with a map to the church printed on the backside.

Back