• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billboards =free speech?

RJ - Are you for or against this guy's right to put up the billboard?

Does the woman not have any rights? N

It's one thing if she is a public figure. She isn't.

Do you have the right to PAY for publicityy against anyone you want as long as you have cash?

Free speech was never meant to be about slamming private citizens in a PAID forum.

If he wants to tell everyone he knows that'sb one thing. No one has the RIGHT to buy paid advertising.

Do you beleive that NAMBLA should be able to advertise in the Boy Scout magazine? To not take their money would be denying them free speech.

Just friendly advice, my man...you should probably refrain from starting thread/topics about legal issues. Your command of this area of expertise is shaky at best.:thumbsup:

Does the woman not have any rights? N

It's one thing if she is a public figure. She isn't.

Do you have the right to PAY for publicityy against anyone you want as long as you have cash?

Free speech was never meant to be about slamming private citizens in a PAID forum.

If he wants to tell everyone he knows that'sb one thing. No one has the RIGHT to buy paid advertising.

Do you beleive that NAMBLA should be able to advertise in the Boy Scout magazine? To not take their money would be denying them free speech.

Free speech means you have the right to say anything you want about private citizens in a paid forum. You just have to deal with the legal ramifications of doing so if what you say is deemed slanderous.

Free speech means you have the right to say anything you want about private citizens in a paid forum. You just have to deal with the legal ramifications of doing so if what you say is deemed slanderous.

+1

judging by his appearance and handling of this issue, that guy's genes definitely should not be entering the pool

I want to buy a billboard in North Georgia that says "All Handguns Must Be Turned In To Local Sheriff by July 3, 2011". Just to see what happened.

I was thinking another billboard in the area thanking Obama for healthcare reform on behalf of the residents of Barrow County might by another worthwhile gesture.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/abortion-billboard-lands-mexico-man-court-girlfriend/story?id=13783668

This is a natural extension of the Supreme Court's ruling that money is speech.

Money is property.

Under your interpretation, the only form of protected speech is an individual standing on the corner orally stating his beliefs. Any newspaper, news program, magazine, flyer, etc etc can be shut down or prohibited by the government b/c it costs money to produce those items.

To say that your interpretation of both the law and the fact that this is a natural extension of Citizen's United is baffling would be an understatement. If anything this is an more closely related to the most recent Westboro Baptist Church case involving the breakdown between free speech and privacy/harassment.

edited to add that I now see that the article made the Westboro point.

I know I thoroughly enjoy walking my son past huge photos of aborted babies every Saturday morning.

Shit, I wanna start a billboard thanking all the hoes that aborted my babies.

RJ - your point about NAMBLA and Boy Scouts mag is way off. The argument is whether or not his right to free speech overrides her right to privacy (and if her privacy was violated). With the Boy Scout example they have the right to deny the add just as the billboard company had the right to refuse the abortion billboard.

So the only free speech thats protected is liberal rhetoric?

Also if the mother did choose to have an abortion (and judging from a picture of that guy I hope she did) than his statement would be factual.

There is absolutely nothing slanderous about stating the truth.

I have

I want to buy a billboard in North Georgia that says "All Handguns Must Be Turned In To Local Sheriff by July 3, 2011". Just to see what happened.

I was thinking another billboard in the area thanking Obama for healthcare reform on behalf of the residents of Barrow County might by another worthwhile gesture.

the feeling, you and I are not quite aligned politically, but I'd drive up to see that. That might even be worth contributing a few dollars just to see the fun that results... Add it a full page add in the paper, saying that all churches are closed on Sunday but the Jehova Witness temple and I'd would pay to see that.

Also if the mother did choose to have an abortion (and judging from a picture of that guy I hope she did) than his statement would be factual.

There is absolutely nothing slanderous about stating the truth.

Truth, even an inconvenient truth, is a complete defense.

article-1111203-03025AF9000005DC-81_468x555.jpg

Back