• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deac offensive Play calling

socaldeac

Reaction score
Coburn - He seemed to run well. Not sure why they did not run him more. He would have a good run, and then they would not run him again. Also, it seems they should be running screens with our speed, or utilizing play action pass more. The playing calling was terrible.

Not utilizing the screen is a question mark for me as well. We had plenty of play action and we don't have good enough run blocking to lean on the run just yet. But why we don't have more plays to the flats is beyond me. Seems like TE or RB screens would work well with our personnel and weaknesses.

Play action only works when you have a ground attack. The screens might come against F$U superior pass rush. Why give the game tape of the only play that will probably work against them.

Play action only works when you have a ground attack. The screens might come against F$U superior pass rush. Why give the game tape of the only play that will probably work against them.

Because we want to try to win the winnable games?

Agree. I guess our coaches know Hinton's strengths . It would be unfortunate if he can't pass while on the move because he's not much taller than 5'10".

Lobo lives on....

Um, no. Our offense is light years better in terms of scheme and playcalling than years prior. Better combination routes, effective bubble screens, good use of read option for Kendall Hinton, etc. I mean, Hinton is a true freshman, 3 of our 4 best receivers are freshman. Our RBs are sophomores or freshman. Seringe is a sophomore. And our lineman are also young. What do you people expect?????? Also, Clawson And Ruggiero have great track records.

Play calling was excellent on both sides of the ball was excellent and gave us a chance to win given the liabilities we have. Clawson said Hinton is our best running back so he runs him a lot since that gives us an extra blocker advantage. Both option passes were well devised. Defense switching it up and only rushing four worked a couple times.

Play calling is so much better than with the last regime.

I do look forward to improved oline play so that we can use our running backs more but not an option now.

It seems they dropped him back a lot and he was sacked. Why not roll him out of the pocket. Do some orbit sweeps. It seems the playbook was very simple. Maybe its his youth, but it did not seem to play to his strengths.

LOL at those calling for screens. Who's going to execute those screens? The same linemen who are barely adequate at pass blocking and can't run block to save their lives? You want them to sprint, in a coordinated fashion, to a designated area, then block quick, shifty LBs and DBs while on the run?

LOL at those calling for screens. Who's going to execute those screens? The same linemen who are barely adequate at pass blocking and can't run block to save their lives? You want them to sprint, in a coordinated fashion, to a designated area, then block quick, shifty LBs and DBs while on the run?

very good point. Indiana was obviously the more physical team in the trenches. We won't win consistently until we improve our glaring weakness. It will take some time.

I assume they mean outlet passes into the flat.

They called for screen plays so I assume they mean screens.

Outlet passes are a good idea and more feasible.

And given how bad our backs are at blocking, outlet passes in the flat may be a more useful role for them

I think our smaller, more athletic line can block downfield better than on the line, yes. Or a flanker screen could work without needing much blocking acumen from the line.

Back