• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review

Deac94

Reaction score
My overall impression after rewatching the FSU game was that the performance by Wake differed in many respects from what we saw against Indiana. Mostly positive. I’ll touch on some of these points below. I’m not sure how much related to differences in opponent, game plan, or simply execution.

HINTON AND THE PASSING GAME
The passing game featured a short, quick hitting approach that showcased Cortez Lewis and Cam Serigne. Those two combined for 18 receptions and a number of other pass targets. 20 of the 27 pass completions went for 8 yards or less. Hinton – whose scouting report going into this game was likely that he struggled with short and intermediate passes – missed on his first two passing attempts before going on a 13-for-14 roll over the rest of the half. The second half wasn’t quite as good: 14-for-26 (54%, which was more in line with what he has done in previous games).

I took a long look at the play that briefly knocked Hinton out of the game. It was originally a 3-man rush that was stymied by our OL. FSU brought a 4th rusher from a blitz position but Tyler Bell read it correctly and picked up it up. Hinton chose to leave the pocket and rolled to his left. I’m not sure that was a bad decision if he was trying to buy more time (or maybe he was trying to get a better line of sight?), but he did leave a pocket that was giving him time to throw. It was the second time in the game that I thought he left a pocket early and exposed himself to getting hit after a throw.

RUNNING BACKS
Tyler Bell and Matt Colburn combined for 22 carries (versus only 8 carries against Indiana). Those two had a strong first half with all 11 rushing attempts going for 3 or more yards, and featuring runs of 14 and 18 yards. They were less successful in the second half when 7 of 11 rushing attempts went for less than 3 yards, and the longest run was just 5 yards.

BIG PLAYS
Just two plays of 20 or more yards this week. That is a season low. After weeks of 6, 4 and 5 big plays against Syracuse, Army and Indiana respectively. Wake had no big plays until the 4th quarter against FSU.

Wake’s defense gave up just 3 plays of 20 or more yards in the game. Another impressive effort on that front.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The biggest difference between the Indiana game and the FSU game? Indiana was effective at pressuring Hinton with 4 pass rushers. FSU needed to blitz.

I didn’t note a single negative play by the O-line until the very last play of the first half. I admit that I actually graded a little harder to come up with the 7 negative plays noted below (down from 13 negative plays against Indiana):

Haynes (2): Allowed 2Q sack on Hinton when he was beaten by an outside rush. Haynes also gave up a QB pressure – and was lucky to avoid a holding penalty – on the 4Q play that resulted in KJ Brent drawing a flag for PI.
Intemann (2): Was beaten badly late in the 3rd quarter on a play where he ended up drawing a holding penalty. Was also beaten during a blitz in the 4Q.
Herron (2): Failed to pick up a blitzing LB (or S?) in the 3rd quarter. Was also beaten during a blitz in the 4Q.
Harris (1): He allowed a DL to push him back into Hinton.
Hayworth (zero)

It’s worth noting that the number of quick hitting pass plays limited the time that the OL had to pass protect. That was especially true in the first half.

We can focus on the negative plays from Herron and Haynes, but I thought I’d also mention what we are not seeing. The mental mistakes noted in the Elon and Syracuse games didn’t reappear against Indiana and FSU. They have had surprisingly few penalties. They don’t get overpowered. The biggest areas for improvement: 1) they are inconsistent picking up blitzes and 2) Haynes is susceptible to outside speed rushes. I have noted before that I have all the patience in the world for Haynes given his inexperience at the position. I think this year and next have to be viewed as development years for him.

One last interesting note is that Wake used a “heavy package” with 6 OLs on a couple of plays (at least I think so, the TV coverage didn’t give me a great look at it). Patrick Osterhage appeared to be the 6th OL in those packages.

RUN DEFENSE
In large part the missed tackles from the Indiana game didn’t repeat against FSU.

Of course the obvious exception was the 94 yard run by Dalvin Cook. That play started with a loaded box with FSU lined up with a single wide receiver. Zach Dancel was basically lined up as a linebacker. Cameron Glenn was the single high safety. Dancel was in position to make the tackle, but Cook ran right through him. Same with Brad Watson. Cameron Glenn came downhill to make the play but allowed himself to get partially taken out by Brad Watson’s missed effort. From there Cook was off to the races.

However, I counted just three other obvious missed tackles: Kemp (1), Hunter Williams (1) and Zach Dancel (1). I had noted nine missed tackles against Indiana.

DEFENSIVE LINE
With all of the improvements made by Wake in the FSU game, I didn’t see a lot different from the D-line. They remain a weak spot. The final stat line showed modest improvement: 3 solo tackles, 1.5 sacks, zero tackles for loss (other than the sacks), zero forced fumbles and 1 QB hit.

The highlight for the DL came early in the fourth quarter when FSU tried to roll Golson out to his left in what was probably a designed run. The FSU blockers couldn’t prevent Wendell Dunn from tracking Golson and keeping him from cutting up the field. Ultimately Dunn shed his blockers and dropped Golson for a 7 yard loss. Easily one of the best plays from a Wake DL this year.

Those looking for other positives will note a few other modest QB pressures. Zeek Rodney had one very nice bull rush in the first half and stood out on two other plays. Josh Banks had one relatively effective pass rush. Two other QB pressures that looked good when watching live weren’t as impressive on film. Chris Stewart - for reasons I couldn’t figure out – was given free release off the line to pressure Golson. On another Willie Yarbary was given a run at Golson when his blocker was knocked to the ground by his FSU teammate.

ZACH DANCEL

No player on defense showed up more on film than Zach Dancel. For both good and bad plays. This came after what I thought was a bad game against Indiana.

Let’s start with the negative plays. I mentioned above that he was one of the victims in the 94-yard run by Cook. He also missed a tackle on the 3Q touchdown. FSU’s 51 yard pass play in the 3Q came when Dancel allowed FSU’s Wilson to get behind him in pass coverage. Dancel nearly gave up another TD when he was beaten in pass coverage but Golson was off the mark with his pass.

On the positive side, he made a great play chasing down Golson on a 2Q blitz and might have saved a TD on special teams when FSU’s kick returner got free down the sideline.

THIRD DOWN SUBPACKAGE
So far this season the performance of the 3rd down subpackage has been mixed, but they (and Coach Elko’s play calling) came up HUGE twice down the stretch. The first came early in the 4th quarter when Brandon Chubb and 3rd down subpackage staple Josh Okonye both got through on a blitz that ended up with a forced fumble by Chubb (ruled an incomplete pass). If Chubb hadn’t gotten there first it looked to me like Okonye would have had a clean shot at Golson. The second play came late in the 4th quarter when Okonye again came through the line – literally spinning through the OL – to disrupt the play and flush Golson into a sack that ended up being cleaned up by Chubb and Sheldon Lewinson.

I admit that Okonye is somewhat of a personal favorite of mine. I like watching him play and he often shows up on film despite limited playing time. I wrote before the season that I hoped that the staff could find a role that fit his skill set. I’m glad to see him thriving on third down.

Personnel notes: the subpackage’s most effective player (Zack Wary) missed the game with a minor injury (ankle I think). Sheldon Lewinson made his debut in the subpackage. I have seen some info indicating that he has been hindered by an injury this season. I would like to see more of him on 3rd down as long as it doesn’t come at the expense of playing time for Wary.

DECIDING FACTORS
I left the game very discouraged by the “what-ifs” – by the breaks that we didn’t get. You could point to 1) the near punt block by Jonathon Williams, 2) the INT that was dropped by Brad Watson, 3) Chubb’s fumble that wasn’t, 4) two shots to the head of Hinton that weren’t flagged or 5) the odd encroachment call on Cortez Lewis that came at a very critical juncture. But the bottom line is that we came away with only 9 points on three drives that reached the 5 yard line, the 11 yard line and the 6 yard line. That’s not going to cut it when you are trying to pull an upset. I saw that there is a separate thread dedicated to the playcalling aspect of that. I look forward to reading it, although I’m more focused on our failure to execute on the first three downs.

THE CROWD
I get that the weather has been poor, but attendance has still been disappointing. Maybe even embarrassing. This is a young team, but they are playing hard and playing at a level above where they should be given the lack of experience. I think they deserve more support than they are getting. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Should have gone for the touchdown late in the fourth quarter instead of kicking the field goal.

94 -

Respectfully, I thought this was the best OL performance in like maybe 3-4 seasons. Also thought that the DL looked/played their best game to date. Baby steps but much better.

Oh and I'm quickly becoming a fan of Cortez Lewis ! Did anyone else notice that he was wide open in the back of the endzone on that game ending INT ?

My overall impression after rewatching the FSU game was that the performance by Wake differed in many respects from what we saw against Indiana. Mostly positive. I’ll touch on some of these points below. I’m not sure how much related to differences in opponent, game plan, or simply execution.

THE CROWD
I get that the weather has been poor, but attendance has still been disappointing. Maybe even embarrassing. This is a young team, but they are playing hard and playing at a level above where they should be given the lack of experience. I think they deserve more support than they are getting. Just my two cents.

I thought the crowd was ok in the first half (albeit few students and many FSU fans on East side), but lots of people didn't come back for the second half in a tight game against the perennial conference favorite.

Great review above. How about evaluation of the officiating ? Was not partial, was just very bad. Not close to ACC standards. Very,very weak.
As for attendance, thanks to the 40 students who stayed to the end to support the team at the "Dear Ole Wake Forest".
As for other students.....sorry, sorry, sorry.

94 -

Respectfully, I thought this was the best OL performance in like maybe 3-4 seasons. Also thought that the DL looked/played their best game to date. Baby steps but much better.

Oh and I'm quickly becoming a fan of Cortez Lewis ! Did anyone else notice that he was wide open in the back of the endzone on that game ending INT ?

Actually I thought I was being positive about the O-line play. No negative plays until the end of the first half. FSU needed to blitz to create pressure. Had to grade harder to come up with even 7 negative plays. A good day for the offensive line. I can't really put it in perspective for the last 3-4 years but your comment might very well be correct. Hopefully we see it continue this weekend.

Also agree that the D-Line might have been better by this year's standard, but that is a low bar to get over.

Last edited:
I thought the crowd was ok in the first half (albeit few students and many FSU fans on East side), but lots of people didn't come back for the second half in a tight game against the perennial conference favorite.

It kills me how many people leave early, doesn't matter if we're winning by a little, by a lot, losing by a little or by a lot, so many people seem to be pre-programmed to leave after the 3rd quarter. I'll never understand why you'd come to the game, watch the first 3 quarters and then leave no matter how the game is going. I mean it's not like it's a bitch to get out after the game and people are trying to beat the traffic. The crowd was actually better than I thought it might be Saturday given the weather, of course the weather wasn't near as bad as it appeared it might be. Unfortunately it takes a lot for us to have really good support, the 2006 season got people excited and we had great atmospheres for the BC game that year, the FSU night game the next year and even the Clemson night game the next year. I agree this team is playing their butts off and improving and deserve good support.

Was the WEST side ever more than one-third full?

The west side looked beyond awful on TV. Wish we could switch that camera to the other side. Is it a fixed camera or does a camera man actually go up there? Anyone know?

The west side looked beyond awful on TV. Wish we could switch that camera to the other side. Is it a fixed camera or does a camera man actually go up there? Anyone know?

The cameras are on the West Side (Home Side), the East Side (Visitor Side) is what is seen on TV most of the time.

From my seat on the west side/home side, looking around my side of the stadium, I was pretty impressed with the crowd actually. Impressed, that is, with consideration to the forecast and the normal crowds. Agree that the away/student side almost always looks bad. It was more than half FSU colors.

Was the WEST side ever more than one-third full?

Crowds as usual are very disappointing except the first game when the students showed up in mass. If there is even a threat of rain, many people don't come. It's ridiculous and Clawson should call out the fans.

The cameras are on the West Side (Home Side), the East Side (Visitor Side) is what is seen on TV most of the time.

Whoops, I just assumed that people were talking about the visitor side because it looked awful.

Crowds as usual are very disappointing except the first game when the students showed up in mass. If there is even a threat of rain, many people don't come. It's ridiculous and Clawson should call out the fans.

It is ridiculous, but you never win by calling out the fans if you're a player or coach, especially if you're not producing a lot of W's on the field yet. Clawson's job is to get us winning and if he can get us there we'll see the support improve, maybe not to where we wish it would be, but it will improve.

Whoops, I just assumed that people were talking about the visitor side because it looked awful.

I wish the cameras were located on the visitor side so the home side would be seen on TV, the tower would be shown more and the crowd would certainly look better.

It kills me how many people leave early, doesn't matter if we're winning by a little, by a lot, losing by a little or by a lot, so many people seem to be pre-programmed to leave after the 3rd quarter. I'll never understand why you'd come to the game, watch the first 3 quarters and then leave no matter how the game is going. I mean it's not like it's a bitch to get out after the game and people are trying to beat the traffic. The crowd was actually better than I thought it might be Saturday given the weather, of course the weather wasn't near as bad as it appeared it might be. Unfortunately it takes a lot for us to have really good support, the 2006 season got people excited and we had great atmospheres for the BC game that year, the FSU night game the next year and even the Clemson night game the next year. I agree this team is playing their butts off and improving and deserve good support.

Yunno, I'm one of those guys that has to be close to if not THE last person to leave the stadium. Typically go down on the field post-game and just wander around taking in the scene. Frankly hate to leave. And goofy me ALWAYS gets to my seats 30-35 minutes before KO to watch warm-ups too.

Yunno, I'm one of those guys that has to be close to if not THE last person to leave the stadium. Typically go down on the field post-game and just wander around taking in the scene. Frankly hate to leave. And goofy me ALWAYS gets to my seats 30-35 minutes before KO to watch warm-ups too.

My wife wishes I only wanted to get to our seats 30-35 minutes early. I'm usually one of the goofy fools that gets in when the countdown clock is anywhere between 75-90 minutes before kickoff. I will say that you get the prize for staying longer though, I usually stand there and watch the coaches and players shake hands and then head out.

Edited to add: Crazy thing is we've had season tickets for going on 2 decades, I've always been that way and yet every season the wife acts shocked when I tell her when we need to leave.:rulz:

Last edited:
The cameras in football stadiums are almost always on the west side, due to how the sun sets. If the cameras were on the other side, you wouldn't be able to see anything cause the sun would be blinding.

The cameras in football stadiums are almost always on the west side, due to how the sun sets. If the cameras were on the other side, you wouldn't be able to see anything cause the sun would be blinding.

Makes sense.

Back