• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Watch ESPN3 Question-Blackouts

wfufb2014

Reaction score
Question about the Wake vs UNC game this weekend. I want to go to the soccer game and was planning on streaming the game on my phone using the WatchESPN app. The game is on TV locally here on FSN, which means you can't stream the game thru the ESPN app on your AppleTV/IPAD/etc when hooked up to Wifi. Does that mean that the game will be blacked out on my iPhone too, even if I am using cellular data to stream it from the soccer game onto my phone? Let me know what you guys think.

Go Deacs!

Yes. The game is going to be blacked out on watch ESPN. However if you use a VPN such as better net you will be able to watch the game. I had the same situation last week while trying to watch the Boston College game I downloaded and installed better net VPN on my iPad and was able to watch the game on watch ESPN.

Question about the Wake vs UNC game this weekend. I want to go to the soccer game and was planning on streaming the game on my phone using the WatchESPN app. The game is on TV locally here on FSN, which means you can't stream the game thru the ESPN app on your AppleTV/IPAD/etc when hooked up to Wifi. Does that mean that the game will be blacked out on my iPhone too, even if I am using cellular data to stream it from the soccer game onto my phone? Let me know what you guys think.

Go Deacs!

Im going to have that same problem

There is a Fox Sports Go App that will show the game. I don't believe you will have to deal with the blackout issue if you use this app. I'm unfortunately not 100% positive.

if you are connected to wifi it will be blacked out but if you turn off wifi and use data you will be able to watch it on ESPN3

There is a Fox Sports Go App that will show the game. I don't believe you will have to deal with the blackout issue if you use this app. I'm unfortunately not 100% positive.

The BC game was blacked out on fox sports Go last weekend when on wifi. Didn't try to turn off wifi and use data.

pretty sure it can still read your location if you're using cellular data, so it would still be blacked out even if you're using data

The Watch ESPN app also used to be able to detect VPN and still block you based on your original IP address, that was on Android though so not sure if iDevices have the same thoroughness. But yes, just get the Fox Sports App and you're good to go.

Their system is also less than stellar in determining location. I was blacked out from seeing a bunch of basketball games because It mistakenly thought I was in Chattanooga, Tennessee last year.

Back