• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Austin Proehl

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Just doesn't feel right seeing him wear Carolina blue. His dad seems like great guy and is a WFU legend. Did WFU do something to alienate Ricky?

Good for him. His father is a legend.

Screw him. He's an enemy now.

No. Ricky's son just made his own decision on schools. I can't remember the exact timing, but believe he committed while Grobe was the HC, who was no longer making in-home visits.

Just afraid to try to follow in his Dad's footsteps and not measure up I guess. Some offspring ( Brandon Childress) have the stones to do it, some do not.

Just afraid to try to follow in his Dad's footsteps and not measure up I guess. Some offspring ( Brandon Childress) have the stones to do it, some do not.
Yes, let's make important life decisions based on what your father did to satisfy some posters on a message board.

You have to be a dumbass to go to a program that faces everything but the death penalty in all likely hood.

He made his decision and should expect the consequences. I will boo if ever given the chance. So sorry for his dad.

He wanted to separate himself from his dad's legend status at Wake, especially after Grobe somewhat stopped recruiting him. That being said, he's kind of a jerk. He fits in well with the tar holes.

I guess at least he didn't try to fake a fair catch.

IIRC he was recruited to UNC by Gunter Brewer, who was Ricky P's teammate at Wake.

Saw Blake Proehl play for PHS on Friday. He played WR, PR, KR, and came in as the #2 QB. Got some moves but looks way too skinny for the next level, at the moment. Some of my best WFU game memories are #88 making some big plays, and my wife absolutely crushes on the guy every time we see him. Doesn't matter what his kids do, because Ricky was one of the greats in WF history! Always a Deac!

We were outrecruited 10 times over. Really not much else to it.

He wanted to separate himself from his dad's legend status at Wake, especially after Grobe somewhat stopped recruiting him. That being said, he's kind of a jerk. He fits in well with the tar holes.

HE could have gone somewhere other than UNC to do that. Maybe Grobe stopped recruiting him because he didn't want him on his team.

HE could have gone somewhere other than UNC to do that. Maybe Grobe stopped recruiting him because he didn't want him on his team.

I think that after brendan cross' dad called out Grobies and Lobo's nonsense that they did not want any more parents around who knew more than them. That plus the drive down to charlotte was too far.

What did Randy Cross say?

What did Randy Cross say?

I seem to recall he was posting on the Rivals site and ultimately said he was going to stop posting due to TV responsibilities and not having time or something to that effect. He had been mildly critiquing Grolobo shortly before that happened.

Here's your Austin Proehl story:

Despite some of the comments made on this thread, once Austin was offered, he was never "out-recruited" or "cooled-on." He received something daily from the WFU staff once he was offered.

Austin Proehl had an Ohio offer for months and nothing else. That was it. He daily begged the Wake Forest coaches for an offer. No other P5 school was going to offer a kid if the school where his daddy was a legend at wasn't going to. Wake eventually offered. When they did, Wake was going all "option-style" and that "scared" Austin a little. He didn't commit instantly as the staff thought he would (after all, the kid had been begging for it for a long time).

The biggest "problem" in Austin's recruitment was that his recruiting (or area) coach changed four times between Galloway, Duffie, Belin, and Stubblefield. After Duffie left, Belin + Stubbs split the recruitment as both had the Charlotte area (one north, the other south) - Belin has a tight relationship with the family and Stubbs was the WR coach. Regardless, Austin continually felt the love from the staff once he was offered. He was even pulled out of Wake's Elite Summer Camp to meet in Grobe's office for over 30 minutes.

He camped at VT and got an offer. He went to Fedora's Freak Show, mostly because Gunter Brewer got him an invite. UNC later offered, and Austin committed instantly.

When Clawson was hired, he tried to re-recruit Austin. It didn't work out. Ricky was annoyed he wasn't interviewed for the Wake HC job (I don't know if this had a role in Austin's recruitment, that's a story for another day).

Bottom line, the kid used Wake to get more offers. He saw the "big state school" and had a HS teammate committed to UNC. He saw a big boost in his twitter followers once he was offered by UNC (seems silly, but kids care about that).

I do think Austin is generally a good kid, but this was a punk move by him, and his "celebration" was another punk move last night.

Back