• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
Saturday was a reminder of what can happen when Wake plays poorly against a team that is more athletically gifted (and more experienced as well). Of course, the hope is that we can close the speed and size gap further over the next 1-2 years. First with better recruiting than we’ve had over the past several years, but also with players having multiple years in Coach Hourigan’s strength and conditioning program. However, Saturday was a reminder of how far Wake still has to go and how difficult the challenge will be.

I’m more than ready to see the blowout losses to come to an end. In Grobe’s last two years 30% of Wake’s games ended in losses of 25 points or more. This was Clawson’s third blowout loss (15% of games he has coached).

The obvious story was big plays. UNC had 7 plays of 20 yards or more (they actually had SIX plays of THIRTY or more yards). In contrast, Wake would manage 3 plays of 20 or more yards, with the longest being a meaningless 32 yard reception by Cam Serigne at the end of the first half. Remarkably, UNC was able to add an additional 11 offensive plays measuring between 10-19 yards.

It’s hard to believe that players like Kendall Hinton will have exhausted their eligibility before Wake plays UNC again.

A LOOK AT UNC’s LONGEST PLAYS

2Q 57 yard pass from Marquise Williams (a four-star, Rivals 250 recruit in the 2011 class) to Mack Hollins. Hollins is a former walk-on who came to UNC via Fork Union Military Academy after he was kicked off his HS team following an altercation with a teammate. Hollins seemed to beat Devin Gaulden easily. Hollins also got behind Zach Dancel who had moved up to cover a receiver running a shorter route. In his halftime comments Clawson referred to this play saying: “we gave up a post route that we knew was coming for an easy touchdown”.

2Q consecutive runs by Elijah Hood (a Rivals 5-star recruit in the 2014 class) of 29 yards and 36 yards. The first run came when redshirt freshman Willie Yarbary was cleared out of his gap and then Thomas Brown missed a tackle that would have held Hood to a 5-6 yard gain. The second run came via a huge hole in the DL, Marquel Lee caught being aggressive and overrunning Hood, and another missed tackle from Thomas Brown. I noted Clawson said in his halftime comments: “the safety needs to step up and make a play at 5 yards”.

2Q 61 yard pass from Williams to Austin Proehl. True freshman Dionte Austin was taken out of the play by a WR blocking near the line of scrimmage. It looked to me like it was Zach Dancel’s play to make, but he took a terrible angle and allowed himself to be taken out of the play by the same WR that was blocking Austin. Hunter Williams had further to run and didn’t have the speed to reach Proehl.

3Q 33 yard run by Williams. A designed QB run. Duke Ejiofor was shoved out of the way at the line of scrimmage. Brandon Chubb wasn’t able to defeat the lead blocker (a RB). Thomas Brown looked to be in a good position initially but then either took a bad angle or simply lacked the speed necessary to keep Williams from getting past him.

4Q Williams 42 yard pass to Hollins. Hollins beat the usually reliable Brad Watson badly. Thomas Brown was the safety that was covering that part of the field, but it looked like Brown took a bad angle and overran the play. Hollins simple cutback move made Brown a nonfactor.

QUARTERBACK
John Wolford had a good outing before aggravating his ankle injury. He was actually in quite a rhythm with the short and intermediate throws, finishing 16-for-22 (73% completion percentage).

RUNNING BACKS

Tyler Bell, Isaiah Robinson and Matt Colburn combined for 22 carries. 55% of their carries went for 3 or more yards. That compares with 68% of their carries against FSU and just 30% against BC. They were stopped for a loss only once (compared to 8 times against BC).

Bell’s longest runs were 9 yards and 11 yards. Robinson had a pair of 6 yarders. Robinson appeared to get the workload that had been going to Matt Colburn over the past few games. Colburn carried only once against UNC. Robinson got five consecutive carries after Bell’s 2Q fumble.

RECEIVERS

I came away from this game even more impressed by Cortez Lewis. Perhaps this was first time in a game situation that he was able to show his elusiveness. Lewis had two receptions of 20+ yards.

A great grab by Tabari Hines on the 2Q touchdown.

OFFENSIVE LINE

UNC almost always brought 4 rushers and seemed like a very plain-vanilla defensive front 4. I thought the OL pass protected pretty well. I didn’t note any obvious individual breakdowns from the OL in the first half, and just a few in the second half:

Haynes (2) - 3Q beaten by outside rush (twice, with the second one leading to a sack)
Herron (2) – 3Q beaten by outside rush (twice)

DEFENSIVE LINE

Final stat line: 6 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, 0 forced fumbles, 0 QB hurries. The DL again failed to provide much disruption in either the passing game or the running game.

The oft-discussed Duke Ejiofor’s only entry in the stat sheet was a 2Q offsides penalty.

Josh Banks 2Q sack was the most impressive individual play by a Wake DL in the game.

I am paying more and more attention to Zeek Rodney. He’s impressive. Wake’s best inside DL despite being only a true sophomore. It’s a shame Wake couldn’t redshirt him last season. Rodney had a nice play on Williams in run support (2Q), got a good hit on Williams as he pitched the ball in 3Q and came very close to a number of other impact plays.

LINEBACKERS

One of the highlights for the Deacs was Rover Demetrius Kemp’s 1Q interception off of a pass deflection by Marquel Lee. Lee also had an impact play midway through the 3Q when he dropped Williams for a sack on third down on a play that could very well have included a fumble that wasn’t called.

SAFETIES

Ryan Janvion was a late scratch (hip).

CORNERBACKS

Devin Gaulden is clearly losing playing time to Dionte Austin. We will have to wait until later this week when the snap count is released to see exactly how it shook out. Austin was victimized on UNC’s 3Q touchdown pass.

SPECIAL TEAMS

I agree with those of you that have pointed out that the kick and punt return and coverage teams are subpar. UNC was kicking the ball short so that they could tackle Wake short of the 20. Too many sloppy penalties from these units. It seems like Tabari Hines should be covering some of the punts that hit the ground before they roll 15 yards down the field.

Kinal fielded a long snap with his knee on the ground for the second time in his career (Clemson game in 2014 was the first time he did it).

Last edited:
Did the announcers say anything about the hit on Wolford that took him out of the game briefly?

I was watching at a bar without the sound. It looked like the UNC guy put a late hit straight into Wolford's ear hole.

NC State's favored by 10. Is that about right or is this more of a 34-17 type loss?

Deac94's write-up seems to confirm that our safeties were miserable in this game. I have been very unimpressed with Dancel this year. He just doesn't seem to have the speed to pass cover effectively, and appears afraid to step up and lay a hit on someone in the run game. I recall at least 2 times this year where an opposing QB has run the ball in for a TD, where Dancel could have laid a pretty good hit on them at around the 2 yard line or so, but chose to just ineffectively shove the QB from the side as they went in for the score. A slowish safety that doesn't like to hit and takes bad angles is going to lead to some big plays given up. As for Thomas Brown, it seems like he has the tools but has struggled this season with his angles and positioning, leading to missed tackles and poor pass coverage. Any word on Cameron Glenn? Seems like he had been coming on pretty strong lately, and I believe he didn't play in the UNC game at all.

After reading that I have determined our secondary is a mess.

It was a mess against UNC. If the safeties make the tackles that they were in position to make the final score would have looked a lot better than it did. In addition, teams are clearly picking on Devin Gaulden.

If you are looking for some positives, I continue to think that Brad Watson has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe Ryan Janvion has been underappreciated. Zach Dancel mixes in some positive plays with the negative ones. Maybe Thomas Brown is still hampered by the ankle injury?????

I hope my comments on Dionte Austin didn't come across as a criticism. I'm not going to criticize the play of a true freshmen corner. Plus, in the little that we have seen of him it looks like he battles hard and is not afraid to be physical if needed.

I am a little worried about the safety position moving into 2016. Obviously Cameron Glenn will be part of the equation. How quickly he develops will be important. It's critical that Wake gets Traveon Redd signed and enrolled as quickly as possible. I wish Redd was already enrolled. I also hate that Wake didn't hang onto Dior Johnson.

First team safeties next season might be: Glenn/Brown and second team might be: Redd/Bates. That's a young group.

Last edited:
It was a mess against UNC. If the safeties make the tackles that they were in position to make the final score would have looked a lot better than it did. In addition, teams are clearly picking on Devin Gaulden.

If you are looking for some positives, I continue to think that Brad Watson has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe Ryan Janvion has been underappreciated. Zach Dancel mixes in some positive plays with the negative ones. Maybe Thomas Brown is still hampered by the ankle injury?????

I hope my comments on Dionte Austin didn't come across as a criticism. I'm not going to criticize the play of a true freshmen corner. Plus, in the little that we have seen of him it looks like he battles hard and is not afraid to be physical if needed.

I am a little worried about the safety position moving into 2016. Obviously Cameron Glenn will be part of the equation. How quickly he develops will be important. It's critical that Wake gets Traveon Redd signed and enrolled as quickly as possible. I wish Redd was already enrolled. I also hate that Wake didn't hang onto Dior Johnson.

First team safeties next season might be: Glenn/Brown and second team might be: Redd/Bates. That's a young group.

What about Janvion just a junior?

Did the announcers say anything about the hit on Wolford that took him out of the game briefly?

I was watching at a bar without the sound. It looked like the UNC guy put a late hit straight into Wolford's ear hole.

Here is what the announcers said: Clearly a helmet to helmet hit. Whether it was a late hit or not was debatable. UNC was lucky to avoid a flag.

Deac94: many thanks for your analyses. I especially appreciate the recruiting information for the guys that smoke us. Thanks for what you do.

Just a bad game by the D, they never looked comfortable. Took some really bad angles that made first downs become touchdowns.

Offense was moving the ball fine when it still mattered early. Wolford showed a lot of toughness and made some really good throws first half. Wish he could stay on the field. We should have been more aggressive at the end of the first half, given that our defense couldn't get stops.

Special teams was maddening with the punt return setup.

If we went up 14-0 on their early INTs, may be a different story. We need to run the ball better.

I expect State game to be close. Glad it's at home. I don't think this game result will linger into next week.

Thanks 94 for your detailed review. I couldn't follow the game from where I was, and your work told the story of the scoreboard updates that I saw. We're heading in the right direction as a program, but it is painfully slow.

We are sustaining drives against opponents when we could do nothing of the sort last season. The game got away from us defensively after two very well played games against FSU and BC.

Young team. Baby steps. From my perspective, we're right on track with the turnarounds that Clawson has led at every other head job he's had. I hate losing to those cheating SOBs as much as everyone else, but our trend lines are going in the right direction.

It sucked losing that bad to of all teams UNC, however I felt better yesterday realizing that our team is so young, yet so many young players are playing important roles for us and at times playing well. This team is improved from last year I think on all fronts with the exception of the one place we knew we couldn't be improved from last year, secondary. We've got a true soph quarterback and true frosh quarterback that aren't near 100 percent right now and banged up at other places and got no favor by not having a bye week until pretty late in the season. We all knew this year would still be a struggle, but I think Clawson has got us on track. Just need to grow up a little bit, continue to recruit quality players and in a couple years, we'll be a talented, veteran football team. I've said it before, but at Wake Forest, a team that is playing a lot of young players likely isn't going to be a good Wake Forest football team. Frankly we just don't get that many kids that are truly ready for BCS conference football coming out of High School. The fact that we've got this many young guys playing and at times playing pretty well is very encouraging for the future.

I'm looking forward to Saturday, State may break their losing streak at BB&T, but I feel good that we'll play much better than last Saturday night and at least have a chance.

94 well described the problems on D. It's not like they ran all over us. We would hold them in check play after play then boom! A mistake or a missed tackle.

On O It seems Colburn needs more snaps. He breaks tackles and gets two yards or so more at the finish of most plays. He must be making too many mistakes in the passing game.

Just a bad game by the D, they never looked comfortable. Took some really bad angles that made first downs become touchdowns.

Offense was moving the ball fine when it still mattered early. Wolford showed a lot of toughness and made some really good throws first half. Wish he could stay on the field. We should have been more aggressive at the end of the first half, given that our defense couldn't get stops.

Special teams was maddening with the punt return setup.

If we went up 14-0 on their early INTs, may be a different story. We need to run the ball better.

I expect State game to be close. Glad it's at home. I don't think this game result will linger into next week.

If Grobe had been coaching that game we would have run it up the middle three times or maybe even take a knee and taken all three timeouts into the locker room. So happy to have a coach who at least knows something about clock management and is willing to try to score at the end of the half. Baby steps.

Our secondary was horribly exposed on Saturday. Got to get some ballers recruited to help that situation.

No, but Clawson called it a "cheap shot" in his post game comments to Stan.

Back