• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Switzer Fair Catch?

Was it an obvious signal? No.

Should he be motioning his arm in front like that if he didn't intend for a fair catch? Definitely not.

It was suspect but if our guys didn't think it was a fair catch then Switzer might have died. All of our guys clearly thought his weak little hand raising to the chest height was him signaling a fair catch.

A really cheap move on Switzer's part to do a semi-fair catch signal and then run after he notices that our guys aren't going to try to light his ass up.

In addition, his "return" was greatly aided by the fact that the whistle was blown (2 separate times) and most of the Wake players stopped.

That's not the first time he's pulled that bullshit.

Had he been absolutely lit up with no fair catch called, would carolina fans get pissed that he waived for a fair catch?

All of these were my thoughts, I presented that in defense and was told how great of a punt returner he was and that he would still have gone all the way, the arrogance.

All of these were my thoughts, I presented that in defense and was told how great of a punt returner he was and that he would still have gone all the way, the arrogance.

That's their UNC education shining through right there. Our defenders stopped because the whistle blew. If it hadn't, they would have killed that little shit. Remind them how many yards of total offense he had- I believe it was 0.

It was suspect but if our guys didn't think it was a fair catch then Switzer might have died. All of our guys clearly thought his weak little hand raising to the chest height was him signaling a fair catch.

A really cheap move on Switzer's part to do a semi-fair catch signal and then run after he notices that our guys aren't going to try to light his ass up.

IIRC, it's a part of the AFAM curriculum.

Switzer is the only one who thought there was no fair catch. The refs thought it was a fair catch; Wake players thought it was a fair catch; and his own team reacted only after he took off, thinking it was a fair catch.

My question to your friends is what was he doing? Spasm? Itch? And if he is such a great returner, why does he have to rely on cheap tactics like that?

If the Wake player had not pulled up, he would have blown Switzer up - perhaps hurting him, if not separating his head from his shoulders. Then your UNC friends would be asking why we didn't see his *obvious* fair catch signal.

Does it matter? Cheat fans would have bitched and moaned either way. Heaven forbid that a controversial call not go their way.

Why exactly do we give a fuck what Cryolina fans think?
It's Monday afternoon and those inbreds are still booing.

A lot of worse calls than this. It pales in comparison to giving 12th ranked Colorado 5 downs against Missouri which won the game. Plenty of other examples come to mind.

Ask that kid from Baylor that AC almost killed what it's like to not clearly indicate the fair catch.

obvious right call for invalid fair catch signal, the commenter on the video posted the rule.

"ARTICLE 3. An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B that does not meet the requirements of a valid signal (Rule 6-5-3)."

"An invalid fair catch signal is when the player signaling for a fair catch does not fully extend his arm above his head. If the players arm is flexed, an invalid fair catch penalty will be called and the ball will be marked down at the spot of the invalid fair catch and then assessed a five yard penalty."

prob should have been the same call against the baylor kid in that game too

Last edited:
A lot of worse calls than this. It pales in comparison to giving 12th ranked Colorado 5 downs against Missouri which won the game. Plenty of other examples come to mind.

The call in the Wake-UNC game wasn't a bad call at all. It was the correct call.

Back