• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who does the NCAA hit harder

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
UNC or Louisville? I bet UNC gets a slap on the wrist. The hammer falls on Louisville.

UNC or Louisville? I bet UNC gets a slap on the wrist. The hammer falls on Louisville.

Is there any sort of timetable on the UNC thing? I've gotten to the point where I think little or nothing happens to them.

Is there any sort of timetable on the UNC thing? I've gotten to the point where I think little or nothing happens to them.

I'm thinking the same. The initial NCAA inquiry started on June 7, 2010. More than 5 years later -- nothing (the NCAA did issue a wrist slap to the UNC football program; 15 schollies over 5 years, and a 1 year bowl ban, but that investigation led to the larger revelation of pervasive academic fraud throughout the UNC athletic department, including the beloved hoops program). I can see the NCAA claiming that all of those at fault are now gone (they will exonerate Roy) and that it would be unfair to punish coaches in players that were not involved. Complete BS, but as time passes the chance of a material sanction dissipates. Just amazing how the NCAA fears hammering the marquee schools. Awful.

Last edited:
Probably Louisville, which is pretty ridic since the NCAA is supposed to be focused on academics above all else

UNC should get hit harder. It was an administration wide scandal, the Louisville thing may only be a rouge assistant, although Pitino probably knew. However, I too am wondering if anything will happen to the UNcheats as well.

I'm thinking the same. The initial NCAA inquiry started on June 7, 2010. More than 5 years later -- nothing (the NCAA did issue a wrist slap to the UNC football program; 15 schollies over 5 years, and a 1 year bowl ban, but that investigation led to the larger revelation of pervasive academic fraud). I can see the NCAA claiming that all of those at fault are now gone (they will exonerate Roy) and that it would be unfair to punish coaches in players that were not involved. Complete BS, but as time passes the chance of a material sanction dissipates. Just amazing how the NCAA fears hammering the marquee schools. Awful.

A few days before their comments were due, UNC self reported some minor infractions in Women's BBall and Soccer to trigger an automatic required extension of the investigation as required by the NCAA rules. It buys them time to try to win one more banner before they all come down.

I don't think so. But if he does, it's his last season. No way he's there, or probably anywhere else, next year. I'm guessing his career is done.

Roy will retire too rather than coach through any sanctions.

Roy will retire too rather than coach through any sanctions.

I agree. The self report is a money grab. UNC will make a ton of money this year trying to win it all and then cut a deal with the NCAA to save face.

It is ridiculous that UNC is still cruising along with no punishment

Dave Glenn reported on his radio show unc would be facing major sanctions. I am sick of waiting.

Dave Glenn reported on his radio show unc would be facing major sanctions. I am sick of waiting.

Really, I thought his take on it was basically not much to see here, slap on the wrist probably?

Last edited:
the ncaa has moved slowly and done all they could to allow this to blow over with little punishment. now that the ncaa keeps hammering other programs one would think they are painting themselves into a corner. but this is the ncaa and consistent, coherent action has never been it's strong suit.

Really, I thought his take on it was basically not much to see here, slap on the wrist probably?

His tune has definitely changed. That UNC stalled by submitting new men's soccer issues that forced the NCAA to amend their notice of allegations and further attempted to paint this as a women's bball issue is evidence they are worried.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-se...ng-response-to-previous-allegations/14831255/

I was listening to Glenn's show today while getting some lunch. He did state that in the case of the SMU/Syracuse/L'ville issues, there is precedent for how to sanction, but the uniqueness of the type & breadth of UNC's case is a "square peg in a round hole" which is making it difficult to find current rules to fit. He also did acknowledge that UNC will be hit with major sanctions of some sort (first time I've heard that from him), but he kept harping on the fact that Roy Williams personally won't because he's not mentioned specifically in the NOA yadda yadda yadda.

I was listening to Glenn's show today while getting some lunch. He did state that in the case of the SMU/Syracuse/L'ville issues, there is precedent for how to sanction, but the uniqueness of the type & breadth of UNC's case is a "square peg in a round hole" which is making it difficult to find current rules to fit. He also did acknowledge that UNC will be hit with major sanctions of some sort (first time I've heard that from him), but he kept harping on the fact that Roy Williams personally won't because he's not mentioned specifically in the NOA yadda yadda yadda.

Isn't that because UNC's is unprecedented and worse than the others? It probably took him 15 minutes to say what you just typed too as much as he loves to hear himself talk.

It matters zero whether Roy is specifically punished by the NCAA...sanctions will be the end of his career and wipe wins and championships from his record. It's not as if he's going to go coach somewhere else.

Back