• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Clawson?

I'm definitely demoralized right now, but I don't think performance has been shocking compared to the expected baseline. I don't want to find all the projections, but I think reasonable people were expecting us to go 3-9 or 4-8 this year. We had a pretty egregious 5 quarter defensive lapse, but otherwise things have been pretty much as anticipated on defense (with big losses in the secondary). Offense has been inconsistent but mostly very bad, but we were historically bad last year. I still think we need to get Clawson's guys as upperclassmen to see what's up. I don't know what the threshold for next year should be, but I think that will be a critical data point.

No. I'm not impressed after 20 games but he had more rebuilding to accomplish than most of us imagined. Wellman should have been shown the door with Grobe and Bzdelick.

If and when Clawson fields and wins with a veteran team, the test will be what he does after that. If we fall back to suckitude then it would be clear he'd only be doing what many mediocre coaches at Wake have done. Looking for a coach who can win and sustain it. Of course that assumes that he wins at all. Al Groh, e.g., never really did that.

What? You guys really feeding the troll? Have you seen our roster matched up against every other team we've played this year, sans Elon? Not pretty. Claw is getting his guys. No one expected a quick fix

I am generally impressed with Clawson. Seems to bringing in better players. Still have a terrible OL. At least he is in the game on the sidelines. Lets show a little patience.

It all comes down to recruiting. All the great coaching in the world won't help enough unless and until we can recruit well and consistently. Wake could do it (I'm watching Duke VT right now and Duke seems to be a real football team), but I don't know if Wake will do it. We may elect to continue to bleat on about academic standards and other canards, while schools higher than us in the academic rankings do what it takes to be good.

Some of this is on Clawson, but a lot of it is on Wake Forest. It takes a commitment to be good, and it costs money. There is a return on that investment, but if we've got a record number of parents lining up to toss $60K a year at us, the people that matter may not perceive the need to actually make the commitment.

We are young. Give it time. We all knew this team was going to take their lumps this year. The majority of our impact players are freshmen and sophomores. Wait till they are juniors and seniors before we evaluate Clawsons effectiveness

Welp, there's the youth card. Now if someone will run the the end of the long tail and posit some outliers, all will be right in Deacon land.

It all comes down to recruiting. All the great coaching in the world won't help enough unless and until we can recruit well and consistently. Wake could do it (I'm watching Duke VT right now and Duke seems to be a real football team), but I don't know if Wake will do it. We may elect to continue to bleat on about academic standards and other canards, while schools higher than us in the academic rankings do what it takes to be good.

Some of this is on Clawson, but a lot of it is on Wake Forest. It takes a commitment to be good, and it costs money. There is a return on that investment, but if we've got a record number of parents lining up to toss $60K a year at us, the people that matter may not perceive the need to actually make the commitment.
I nominate for post of the year.

#realtalk

Welp, there's the youth card. Now if someone will run the the end of the long tail and posit some outliers, all will be right in Deacon land.

It's the truth, you may not want to hear it, but it's the truth. A Wake team having to play this many young players is going to struggle.

As far as Grobe let this program fall, Clawson deserves a 2 year window where we judge based off of moral victories. Year 3-4-5 are the years we judge solely based off of Clawson and wins and losses. Let's slow down fellas, Clawson should be judged off of next year and beyond.

You can't win unless you have D1 talent. Unfortunately, Grobe's staff recruited too many projects and not enough true talent to compete.

It's going to take a few years...I think a fair assessment can be made after year four.

Back