• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Long scoring plays against defense

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
We have given up 13 scoring plays of 40 plus yards this year, 10 coming in the past 2 weeks. The 10 drives by UNC and NCSU all took less than 1:28. Grobe's defenses didn't give up this many in his career at WFU. Is this a schematic issue or just an unfortunate combination of lack of a pass rush and poor secondary play? ( Grobe's strategy seemed to be to keep everything in front of the defense and make teams take a lot of time off the clock on drives. Clawson appears to have a different approach .)

Last edited:
We have given up 13 scoring plays of 40 plus yards this year, 10 coming in the past 2 weeks. Grobe's defenses didn't give up this many in his career at WFU. Is this a schematic issue or just an unfortunate combination of lack of a pass rush and poor secondary play?

Possibly both. There are more explosive offenses in the ACC now too.

I do think it's a bit schematic too. We've all complained for years about the 30 yard cushions our DBs give - now we're playing tighter and blitzing more this is a bit of the risk you run.

I do think it's a bit schematic too. We've all complained for years about the 30 yard cushions our DBs give - now we're playing tighter and blitzing more this is a bit of the risk you run.

But most teams get to the qb when they blitz, we don't

We still give pretty good cushions most of the time. We lost 2 of the top 10 corners we've probably ever had. KJ was probably #2 on that list and Bud probably was in the back end of the top 10, so not surprising the secondary has had a huge drop off. The fact that last year we got even less pressure on the opposing QB shows just how good those guys were last year.

The longest drive in the 10 scoring drives by UNC and NCSU against us was 1:28. That's ridiculous .

Back