• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Frank Beamer

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is this Beamer's last year at Virginia Tech? They've been mediocre to bad for a few years in a row now, such that Duke and UNC are pulling off Coastal Division 1st place finishes, which as a Wake fan I cannot abide. He seems to have Grobed. College football nerds, what's the scoop?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but is this Beamer's last year at Virginia Tech? They've been mediocre to bad for a few years in a row now, such that Duke and UNC are pulling off Coastal Division 1st place finishes, which as a Wake fan I cannot abide. He seems to have Grobed. College football nerds, what's the scoop?

Pretty much zero chance he misses out on the chance to coach the game at Bristol vs Tennessee next season.

The natives are restless but agree with LK. They want him to coach the battle at Bristol. It wouldn't surprise me if he retired after that game.

I think naming Bud Foster as the replacement would be a mistake. They need to get an innovative young offensive mind in there.

I think naming Bud Foster as the replacement would be a mistake. They need to get an innovative young offensive mind in there.

A lot of people think Shane Beamer should get the gig, but I am thinking the new AD wants his own person to take over. Still impressed with the fact he was able to get Buzz Williams to coach bball in Blacksburg.

He's done after next season. Voluntarily or otherwise.

A lot of people think Shane Beamer should get the gig, but I am thinking the new AD wants his own person to take over. Still impressed with the fact he was able to get Buzz Williams to coach bball in Blacksburg.

New AD is a ball buster - he's only going to do what he wants to do- not going to get pushed in to picking Shane

Is he going to get pushed to blow another year so Beamer can take a victory lap by getting destroyed at Bristol.

Word on the street is Everett Withers at JMU is the target.

They've got BC, GT, NC and Va left to play. If they lose out, I think he will step down (with a little push). If they lose 3 of 4, I suspect the same. It isn't like they are having the recruiting success they've had in the past, and this isn't the first mediocre to crappy year. He just doesn't seem himself. There is just no fire. They lost to ECU to start 2-2 OOC, and he said it didn't really matter, that was the "pre-season." He really pissed off a lot of Tech fans with that. Even after losses, he doesn't seem upset, just wanting to see them get better. I just think he has lost it, ala Grobe. He probably ought to pull a Steve Spurrier and move on. At least Bud Foster would get his shot as interim coach, and if they turn it around, go 4-0 and get in a bowl, Foster might be hired. Otherwise, I don't see any way Foster gets it. If Beamer had kept winning and retired on top, Foster probably would have gotten his shot, but not like this. I suspect they will try to get a top tier coach. That AD will shoot for the moon. The JMU guy would be a fallback position that would also be well-supported and a decent hire if, say, Urban Meyer declines. That is a little tongue in cheek, but VT fans believe they are a top 5-10 destination for football. And their AD made a helluva hire in bball. I think the AD wants him to move on and may push unless they really finish strong.

This is important to remember. Given that their AD was somehow able to convince Buzz Williams to coach hoops there, I think that expectations should be a lot higher than Shane Beamer or even Bud Foster.

This is important to remember. Given that their AD was somehow able to convince Buzz Williams to coach hoops there, I think that expectations should be a lot higher than Shane Beamer or even Bud Foster.

They will give Foster and Shane Beamer courtesy interviews, and Withers would be a decent fallback, but VT will quietly aim high, and will only consider those three if more high-profile choices decline. Almost unheard of to essentially force out an older coach of a declining program and then hire his assistant (really does not make sense). To some degree, that would have been akin to WF hiring a Grobe assistant when Grobe got muscled out two years ago. The VT fanbase is hungry for a new direction. Just can't see VT hiring Foster or Beamer after a series of mediocre seasons.

They will give Foster and Shane Beamer courtesy interviews, and Withers would be a decent fallback, but VT will quietly aim high, and will only consider those three if more high-profile choices decline. Almost unheard of to essentially force out an older coach of a declining program and then hire his assistant (really does not make sense). To some degree, that would have been akin to WF hiring a Grobe assistant when Grobe got muscled out two years ago. The VT fanbase is hungry for a new direction. Just can't see VT hiring Foster or Beamer after a series of mediocre seasons.

I agree. It's not like VT has a Jimbo Fisher waiting in the wings to take over the program. Foster has been around long enough that his wagon is tied to Beamer. They need fresh blood in there if they want to turn it around. With how they've been recruiting recently, I don't think the program has hit its bottom yet, though.

They need to get rid of the stupid clucking chicken sound they play on defensive 3rd downs too. Sounds really stupid. Well, I guess it's actually gobbling turkeys, but still sounds stupid.

1b56a12dec0a21f7b9e27a4488aca8d2.jpg

Back