• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C. State Game Review / Louisville Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
This week I am going to post a game review in two parts. In those post I’ll summarize the offensive performance at a high level and provide observations on the 4 big 1Q plays for NCSU. Sometime in the next two days I’ll post part 2: observations on the QBs and the OL, playing time observations, and a focus on the most positive plays and performances for the Deacs.

1Q BIG PLAYS FOR NCSU

Jacoby Brissett (transfer from Florida, Rivals #75 overall player in the 2011 class) 59 yard pass to Maurice Trowell – This play had two critical mistakes. First, Wendell Dunn – who has accumulated 1.5 career sacks in 1,009 plays from scrimmage in his career – went unblocked but was unable to bring down Brissett despite at one point appearing to have him wrapped up. In the postgame comments Clawson would criticize Dunn for hitting Brissett too high. To compound the problem, Dunn’s missed tackle appeared to take down a blitzing Marquel Lee. The second mistake was Devin Gaulden’s decision to leave his receiver when he mistakenly assumed that Brissett was going to run. Gaulden ended up in no man’s land. When the ball was thrown Gaulden was 10 yards in front of Brissett and the receiver was 10 yards behind Gaulden.

Matthew Dayes 85 yard run (Dayes was Rivals #27 running back in the country in the 2013 recruiting class). Chris Stewart was shoved out of the way to create a hole. Demetrius Kemp - who has done some good things this season as a redshirt freshman – didn’t seem to be in great position and just pawed at Dayes a few times as he went by (he clearly would have been down if they were playing two-hand touch). After Kemp, all that Dayes had to do was breeze by Zach Dancel – and that hasn’t proved to be much of a challenge for RBs. The television coverage did a good job of showing how Dancel was also in a terrible position to make a play. Here’s why: Ryan Janvion first shifted down into the box and then he and Brandon Chubb followed a WR in motion towards the sideline. At the snap you see Dancel moving to cover the center of the field as a single high safety and then having to reverse direction to get back to the sideline. Because he was running laterally to cover that side of the field he was easily eliminated by a simple cutback move from Dayes. 14-0 NCSU.

Jacoby Brissett 58 yard pass to Nyheim Hines (Hines was a Rivals four-star and the #2 all-purpose back in the 2015 class). This play started with a 6-man blitz that was completely stonewalled by the NCSU offensive line plus a tight end that had stayed in to block. Nyheim Hines beat Devin Gaulden by 2 steps. This came despite Gaulden supposedly playing cover-3 (meaning his focus was supposed to be keeping the receiver in front of him, even if it meant giving up a shorter reception). 21-0 NCSU.

Matthew Dayes 57 yard run. I immediately noticed a similarity to Dayes first TD run. Pre-snap and right after the snap you see both Ryan Janvion and Brandon Chubb vacate the box to cover players that have motioned out wide, including a player that fakes taking a handoff on a reverse. Was this the correct play by Chubb? Did he bite on a fake? I can’t tell, but it is clear that he was taken out of the play. That leaves Zach Dancel to cover most of the second and third level by himself. When Dayes comes through the line Dancel is actually in pretty good position. He just flat misses him. 28-0 NCSU.

Bottom line: it sure looked to me like NCSU was scheming to exploit both Gaulden and Dancel.

OFFENSIVE PERFORMANCE

While the defense was giving up big plays, the offense was very unproductive. Going into Wake’s stat-boosting final possession that started at 4:30 of the 4th quarter, Wake had only 196 yards of total offense – and 39% of that total came on Hinton’s 2Q run. Going into that last possession, Wake had only one play longer than 20 yards, and just two others longer than 12 yards (completions from Hinton to Hines and Wade).

Bell and Colburn were largely ineffective for most of the game. They had rushes of 3 or more yards on only 4 of their first 15 carries (27%). However, in their last 4 carries of the game they did tear off two of Wake’s longer runs from scrimmage this year (a 20-yarder from Colburn and a 33-yarder from Bell).

Wake’s 3 leading receivers (KJ Brent, Cortez Lewis and Cam Serigne) combined for just 5 receptions for 37 yards (long of only 12 yards)

Last edited:
Clawson press conference

Just watched the entire press conference. Coach obviously knows what the problems are. I wouldn't feel good about getting much more playing time if I was Devin Gaulden. It was pretty clear that he was at fault on TDs one and three. Hopefully more playing time for Austin and the return of Glenn will shore up some of the problems we're having in the secondary.

Bottom line is we're going through growing pains. It just hurts more when you hit a bump in the road against in-state rivals in consecutive weeks (both coming off a bye, of course).

I'm already fired up for Friday night. It would cure a lot of ills to beat a piece of shit like Bobby Petrino on national TV.

Just my opinion but Clawson is quick to call the players out. Would like to hear him take responsibility and say I have to do a better job every once in a while. Lot of excuses in that press conference.

Just my opinion but Clawson is quick to call the players out. Would like to hear him take responsibility and say I have to do a better job every once in a while. Lot of excuses in that press conference.

He wasn't wrong.

If I'm not mistaken that press conference is the first time that we heard Cameron Glenn's injury is a sprained ankle.

I think the problem is that Dunn and Gaulden did exactly what they were coached all week not to do, they deserve the call out. Think how different a tone it sets for the game if Dunn sacks State's QB on that play. Guys have to make plays.

Last edited:
Yep- our moods as fans went from euphoria for an early sack to despair for the TD. :(

The team never recovered.

Amazing that Dunn only has 1.5 sacks in so many snaps. "Makes you wonder" how he still holds a starting spot. I do recall him being a pretty good against the run, however.

Deac94, I used part of your review to make a point on our postgame thread. I hope you don't mind.

Hope you credited Deac94.

Can we cover the ten point spread or another blowout?

If I'm not mistaken that press conference is the first time that we heard Cameron Glenn's injury is a sprained ankle.

Cam lives in my building and I see him a decent amount, he doesn't wear a boot or anything, and last I saw he didn't have a super noticeable limp. I can ask him next time I happen to see him how long he's gonna be out if y'all are interested.

94Deac is not too high on Gaulden and Dancel.

I thought Hinton looked decent when he got in the game - he needs to start. When he comes off the bench, it is TOO LATE. We need early momentum and first downs.

Our running backs are slow.

I thought Hinton looked decent when he got in the game - he needs to start. When he comes off the bench, it is TOO LATE. We need early momentum and first downs.

Who is high on Gaulden and Dancel? They have been responsible for more touchdowns this year than any secondary tandem that I can remember. It'd be one thing if they were freshmen, but they aren't.

One man's calling out is another man's accountability.

It wasn't too late to put him for Army. Early momentum didn't matter against UNC and wouldn't have mattered against State with the defense we were playing. We actually had early momentum against UNC with Wolford in there. But yeah I agree you go with Hinton.

Back