• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

D-League coming to Greensboro in 2016

Any body remember the Greensboro Gators back in the day?

Whatever pro league it was lasted only a year I think. I remember going to see a game, Chris Corchiana played for the opposing team.

Last edited:
Very skeptical about d league doing well in greensboro, which is a college hoops mecca.

Any body remember the Greensboro Gators back in the day?

Whatever pro league it was lasted only a year I think. I remember going to see a game, Chris Corchiana played for the opposing team.

Yep.

If you want to go way back and change sports.......do you remember the Winston-Salem Polar Twins?

Just stack it with locals and ex-UNC guys and it'll do fine. Assuming tix prices are cheap.

Adam Silver really wants to build up the D-League so this is pretty cool for the Triad. Attendance around the league isn't great, Greensboro should do as well as anywhere else.

Thirsty Thursday. Key to minor league success.

Bummer. Wanted Raleigh to get it, but with the NHL and basketball seasons overlapping it probably wasn't feasible.

Very skeptical about d league doing well in greensboro, which is a college hoops mecca.

In terms of fans, sure. But they have to go outside the city for great college hoops except for special events. It's a good fit.

Key to the success is what they plan to put the price level at for the fans. Minor league hockey was VERY successful in Greensboro when the seats were cheap. Throw in minor league prices on beer and you will have a decent showing. If the GSO Coliseum tries to sell $9 beers to watch a bunch of B Level professional athletes they won’t be in town more than two years.

I'd think with seating capacity of 2,500 they'll be just fine. The hoppers average more than that a game and there won't be any overlap in seasons. $25 top price ticket is a little steep but that'll probably get you close to courtside. Beer prices are key. Hopefully Natty Greene's doesn't mark it up too much to get it across the street.

If they have 2-3 players with local ties there will be crowds.

I think they will do pretty well.

There are a lot of basketball fans in this area (obvious Doofus is obvious).

Back