• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ish, now a Sixer, leads the way!

MikeDeac

Reaction score
Tuned in to the first half of the Golden State/Pelican game last night and discovered that Ish had been signed by the Pelicans who only have nine active and healthy players. He came in about the middle of the first quarter and lit it up for 11 points a steal or two and a couple of nice assists. He also hit a three and the only other jumper I can remember. When he came out Coach Gentry went over, patted him on the shoulder and then turned to the camera with a wry smile and shook his head. It was nice to see Ish do so well with barely a day with the team.

Just from the stat sheet - lead the team last night in minutes played (38), assists (9)

Had 17 points, one off the team high

He'll never be a good player in the ACC.

I don't get how he still journeyman's around.

I was hoping the Zards would keep him over Gary Neal, but I figured they would cut him. But he will get more minutes with the Pelicans. One of favorite Deacs ever.

Yeah, last I saw he was with the Wiz. Really was hoping he would stick around in DC so I could go watch.

Yeah, last I saw he was with the Wiz. Really was hoping he would stick around in DC so I could go watch.

Yeah I thought it was a good fit with the Wiz. When Wall needed a break, they could sub a super quick PG for a super quick PG. however, I think Ish will get more run with the Pelicans.

Seriously stupid move by the sixers to let him walk.

This. Still pissed about it.

Well he was an unrestricted free agent, so even if the Sixers wanted to match the Pellies offer, he could have chosen to go elsewhere.

Also, they're paying Canaan, who's an equivalent or better player, the minimum (Kendall Marshall too), and Wroten is far better than all of the above.

I wanted to keep him from a fan standpoint, but from an ownership standpoint it doesn't make a ton of sense. Is he really who you see as the franchise PG of the future?

Well he was an unrestricted free agent, so even if the Sixers wanted to match the Pellies offer, he could have chosen to go elsewhere.

Also, they're paying Canaan, who's an equivalent or better player, the minimum (Kendall Marshall too), and Wroten is far better than all of the above.

I wanted to keep him from a fan standpoint, but from an ownership standpoint it doesn't make a ton of sense. Is he really who you see as the franchise PG of the future?

Of course Philly's ownership wouldn't view him as a PG of the future, because he is not injured for the year helping you to lose games, and therefore not an #asset.

If they could have gotten him without guaranteed years/$, they would have absolutely done it. But his agent also kinda fucked him.

Good recap from Liberty Ballers this summer:

"A player with millions in guarantees is much harder to move as part of a bigger deal and cannot be waived without counting against the team's cap number. The minimum salary exception allows a team to trade a player who makes the league minimum in any deal. Remember the Casper Ware and Brandon Davies trades? They were able to trade a player who would otherwise be waived to get draft picks. Signing Smith to a bigger offer would remove that potential."

If they could have gotten him without guaranteed years/$, they would have absolutely done it. But his agent also kinda fucked him.

Good recap from Liberty Ballers this summer:

"A player with millions in guarantees is much harder to move as part of a bigger deal and cannot be waived without counting against the team's cap number. The minimum salary exception allows a team to trade a player who makes the league minimum in any deal. Remember the Casper Ware and Brandon Davies trades? They were able to trade a player who would otherwise be waived to get draft picks. Signing Smith to a bigger offer would remove that potential."

And that right there is what is wrong with Philly and their perpetual cycle of garbage. Viewing potential signees as someone to be traded or waived. Howabout signing someone because he could, you know, be a productive player for the team? But I guess #advancedstats.

And that right there is what is wrong with Philly and their perpetual cycle of garbage. Viewing potential signees as someone to be traded or waived. Howabout signing someone because he could, you know, be a productive player for the team? But I guess #advancedstats.

I shouldn't engage with you because you're an idiot and a troll, which is a bad combination, but the "perpetual cycle of garbage" will end. I'm guessing the year to try to start to compete is 16/17. Until then:

1. If you're not considering someone's potential to be traded or mitigating risk, you're doing it wrong.
2. Ish Smith is a backup PG in the NBA. Giving him guaranteed money or years is dumb with the cap going up. Obviously the Sixers have unlimited cap space right now, but cap flexibility is everything to a team waiting to try to compete.
3. What does Ish give you this year? How many added wins? Any idea? If you genuinely think he makes the team more than 1 win better, is he getting you to the playoffs this year?
4. We should all be far happier for Ish to be on a team trying to compete for a title this season instead of one of the worst teams in the league.
5. The Sixers are primarily built on being defensively dominant. Even with a pretty bad roster, they were a top 10 defensive team last year (top 5 for a lot of the year). Ish is a defensive liability aside from his potential to get steals.

Canaan sucks, I'd rather have Ish. You do have a good point about the contract issues, but they never tried to keep him and wasn't he making the minimum last year?

Obviously, the PG of the future isn't on the roster.

Back